Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys not to start arguements and fights and such but all this short ram, CIA intake stuff has been beat to death in the srt forums

i had an srt-4 and watched and read about many many people adding different intake systems to their cars and the increase was very minimal

actually we found the best thing to do was some mods to the stock air box and also found that the stock air filter flowed better then the K&N filter because of the shape of the filter (all this info was done by the srt engineers at the DCX dyno labs)

placing an air intake in the engine compartment with the engine heat in most cases did not help hp at all and in a few actually hurt hp

a CIA intake is the best way to go, but the hp increase will be 3 maybe 4 hp (i know K&N and such claim alot more but not one person on the srt forums board saw the kind of increase that was claimed (unless it was a modified engine)

again not knocking anything anyone is doint just pointing out that the gains may feel great in the seat of the pants and the noise level will sound racey but mostly the gains are minimal

but i will get one also so i am not saying this is all bad (i will only get a CIA set up)

·
Registered
163 Posts
well guys not to start arguements and fights and such but all this short ram, CIA intake stuff has been beat to death in the srt forums

i had an srt-4 and watched and read about many many people adding different intake systems to their cars and the increase was very minimal

actually we found the best thing to do was some mods to the stock air box and also found that the stock air filter flowed better then the K&N filter because of the shape of the filter (all this info was done by the srt engineers at the DCX dyno labs)

placing an air intake in the engine compartment with the engine heat in most cases did not help hp at all and in a few actually hurt hp

a CIA intake is the best way to go, but the hp increase will be 3 maybe 4 hp (i know K&N and such claim alot more but not one person on the srt forums board saw the kind of increase that was claimed (unless it was a modified engine)

again not knocking anything anyone is doint just pointing out that the gains may feel great in the seat of the pants and the noise level will sound racey but mostly the gains are minimal

but i will get one also so i am not saying this is all bad (i will only get a CIA set up)
I have a AEM Brute force on one of my vehicles. They claim the same power gains the rest of them do, but what I've noticed about the AEM and the K&N is that the K&N has oil on thier filter and claim that this is to "protect" your engine...If a small drop of that oil hits your MAF sensor...kiss it goodbye! And teh Brute force CID relies on the tube and the material for the tube to sonically "charge" the incoming air...either way...it sounds VERY loud and COOL!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yep, agreed. I have to laugh when I see these ads saying 10 - 15 horse increase. I'm sure it's more like 5 horse, and maybe a few more if your replacing a filthy, dirty, clogged filter.

I've had good luck with the K&N in several vehicles. The ability to clean them, re-oil it & stick it back in the car is pretty attractive. No reason to give Fram any more than I have to. Most any design I've had in the past had the MAF sensor pretty far & uphill from the oiled air cleaner, plus your not supposed to soak the thing in oil anyway, so I've never had a failure of any kind.

I'd like to give this thing a bit of a growl to go with the look of the front end too. It's a pretty good bet that the factory setup can be improved on with a descent CAI & exhaust.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My feelings exactly, if you take a little strain off the engine, like climbing hills without hunting gears all the time,a touch more mpg's, little better throttle response & a cool sound when you mash it, thats all part of making it your NITRO. I'll take a few bucks out of pocket for that.:Racing:

·
Registered
16 Posts

You do realize putting a cold air or any type of intake on a turbo charged car such as a srt4 will actually hurt your performance. You will gain more turbo lag from it and experience a loss most of time in HP since the car runs off forced induction in a closed circuit. In the case of the srt4 it would only be beneficial to run a diverter or blowoff valve to gain a few extra ponies and an intake would do nothing besides aid in taking in more air in initial throtttle response resulting in turbo lag and delayed spool up. On naturally aspirated cars such as a nitro or whatever a cold air intake directs a larger quantity of air directly into the manifold and then into the engine and does not need the suction a turbo does to spool up. Thus a 5-7hp gain and a beefier sound from the engine.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You do realize putting a cold air or any type of intake on a turbo charged car such as a srt4 will actually hurt your performance. You will gain more turbo lag from it and experience a loss most of time in HP since the car runs off forced induction in a closed circuit. In the case of the srt4 it would only be beneficial to run a diverter or blowoff valve to gain a few extra ponies and an intake would do nothing besides aid in taking in more air in initial throtttle response resulting in turbo lag and delayed spool up. On naturally aspirated cars such as a nitro or whatever a cold air intake directs a larger quantity of air directly into the manifold and then into the engine and does not need the suction a turbo does to spool up. Thus a 5-7hp gain and a beefier sound from the engine.
not to totally argue this but i owned an srt-4 and did dyno runs with different air intake systems myself and others had absolutely zero turbo lag from a cia (turbo lag mostly comes from to big of a turbo for the application because of how much time it takes the exhaust to spool the turbo up to speed to pressureize the system)
the forced induction part of the system is not the air intake to the turbo, the air intake part of the system operates the same as a n/a system
the forced induction (boost) part of the system is from the turbo thourgh the ic and into the intake then motor
the bov does not add 1 hp to the car its main purpose in life is to release pressure in the system (boost pressure) when you close the throttle so not to damage the turbo compressor wheel (not going to get into the entire way it works)
i know alittle about factory air intake systems and if you install an intake pulling hot air from under the hood in most cases you hurt the hp
with cia's you are lucky to gain a few hp and most of that is from a clean filter
most air intakes with the noise they make fool most people into believing they have big hp gains
but like i said i will get one just for the sound, ease of filter maintence, small hp gain and milage it gives you

·
Registered
16 Posts
not to totally argue this but i owned an srt-4 and did dyno runs with different air intake systems myself and others had absolutely zero turbo lag from a cia (turbo lag mostly comes from to big of a turbo for the application because of how much time it takes the exhaust to spool the turbo up to speed to pressureize the system)
the forced induction part of the system is not the air intake to the turbo, the air intake part of the system operates the same as a n/a system
the forced induction (boost) part of the system is from the turbo thourgh the ic and into the intake then motor
the bov does not add 1 hp to the car its main purpose in life is to release pressure in the system (boost pressure) when you close the throttle so not to damage the turbo compressor wheel (not going to get into the entire way it works)
i know alittle about factory air intake systems and if you install an intake pulling hot air from under the hood in most cases you hurt the hp
with cia's you are lucky to gain a few hp and most of that is from a clean filter
most air intakes with the noise they make fool most people into believing they have big hp gains
but like i said i will get one just for the sound, ease of filter maintence, small hp gain and milage it gives you
I couldn't agree with you more man. I gotta constantly keep in mind that in terms of turbo systems I come from the land of big turbos on vw vr6's and 1.8t ko4 or gt28r upgrades. Ya know the big mouth really mad snails. As for the intakes your right man alot of people just hear the sound and think it's faster. Overall it's only gonna give ya five or so horse if your lucky and thats why I say don't spend big money on it.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
...best bet for a Turbo charged or twin turbo is to go with CAI to the intercoolers. Then you will see some gains in qrt mile times. I did that in my VR4 and was surprised at the difference. I actually ended up taking off the K&N FIPK and got better results....surprised me!
I am going with a twin CAI on the R/T...but still working out all the details.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.