Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased this 2011 Dodge Nitro Heat, 6cyl 4.0ltr 2wl/4wl 2months ago.
My 1st nitro, I got new belts, spark plugs, tires, filters, original cd stereo, placed 2 missing fuses (horn fuses) and the alarm went off from time to time, so I studied online and tried to get used to this vehicle.

1 month after me purchasing this Nitro I was given directions to disconnect battery cable, remove fuses, lightly spray w-d40 all over the fuse plugs and let it completely dry, insert all plugs correctly. I did this 2 times weeks apart and thought it helped, and then 2 weeks ago, driving home out of nowhere the horn blew a couple of times, no-one around me, after studying this site and others I located a company that sales new, rebuilt with warranty and also purchases you old one from you, this company has high rating and feedback! I purchased rebuilt, with new matching fuses installed TIPM.

I found and saved a TIPM Issues website: Other Solutions | Vertical Visions
I also studied and shortly disconnected my battery, attached + and – cables together for about 20 minutes while disconnecting old TIPM and installing the new Programmed TIPM with new correct fuses installed, then checked all plugs to be plugged in tight and locked, connected battery cables to battery.

Crossed my fingers and the Nitro started easily and idled calmly, the next day, I drove it to my hometown and back 240 miles with no problem, accept the horn honked 1 time and today (3 days later) setting my yard the alarm went off for around 8 seconds again!
Should I fallow directions on the website above and let the cables remain disconnected over night to reset all electronic features and reconnect and let them reset to the new TIPM or idea?

The only remaining subject waiting to be corrected by a mechanic after the driver Air Bag recall parts become available to be placed in correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know if this will help you but it's worth a shot. I bought my Nitro used and shortly after buying it the horn/alarm would go off at night. Seemed to be more likely when it was cold. Also, while driving the dash would occasionally go crazy. By that I mean the gauges would jump all over, the airbag, abs, and other lights would come on. Turns out the previous owner had the same problem. I myself had it to the dealer 4 times before they figured it out. The problem ended up being bad wiring on the rear lift gate latch switch. The bad wiring would intermittently make and brake a connection. At night this made the computer think that someone was opening the lift gate without unlocking the vehicle (breaking in). While driving it made the CAN network lose its ever loving mind (thus the gauge cluster frenzy). Once the wiring was fixed it never happened again. Any door latch switch could cause the same issue I would think. Maybe not what's causing your issue, but good info for reference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it fixed over 5 months ago!
I purchased a professionally factory rebuilt Fuse Box that even came with the original fuses in it with 3-year warranty and that settled the alarm going off for no reason!

Genuine Mopar Horn Switch 68004148AC was replaced new and the horn that went off time to time while I was driving.
This ended this problem!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased this 2011 Dodge Nitro Heat, 6cyl 4.0ltr 2wl/4wl 2months ago.
My 1st nitro, I got new belts, spark plugs, tires, filters, original cd stereo, placed 2 missing fuses (horn fuses) and the alarm went off from time to time, so I studied online and tried to get used to this vehicle.

1 month after me purchasing this Nitro I was given directions to disconnect battery cable, remove fuses, lightly spray w-d40 all over the fuse plugs and let it completely dry, insert all plugs correctly. I did this 2 times weeks apart and thought it helped, and then 2 weeks ago, driving home out of nowhere the horn blew a couple of times, no-one around me, after studying this site and others I located a company that sales new, rebuilt with warranty and also purchases you old one from you, this company has high rating and feedback! I purchased rebuilt, with new matching fuses installed TIPM.

I found and saved a TIPM Issues website: Other Solutions | Vertical Visions
I also studied and shortly disconnected my battery, attached + and – cables together for about 20 minutes while disconnecting old TIPM and installing the new Programmed TIPM with new correct fuses installed, then checked all plugs to be plugged in tight and locked, connected battery cables to battery.

Crossed my fingers and the Nitro started easily and idled calmly, the next day, I drove it to my hometown and back 240 miles with no problem, accept the horn honked 1 time and today (3 days later) setting my yard the alarm went off for around 8 seconds again!
Should I fallow directions on the website above and let the cables remain disconnected over night to reset all electronic features and reconnect and let them reset to the new TIPM or idea?

The only remaining subject waiting to be corrected by a mechanic after the driver Air Bag recall parts become available to be placed in correctly.
Same problem on my 07 Nitro. I just took the horn fuses out all together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same problem on my 07 Nitro. I just took the horn fuses out all together.
I did also and then I needed the horn to notify people to open gates, I am there to pick you up, blow the horn at a friend or to let crazy drivers to get away from me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts