Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Nitro already with all wheel drive i thougt all the a/t have all wheel drive ??!!!
Where is the switch to switch to 4wd mode ?
I only want to drive in 4wd mode only, better in corners !! realy
and also some roads are veryy narrow, living in al small town and often only 2 weels on the road and 2 weels in the mud !
Greetings from holland

please some pictures of the switch from a/t and m/t

·
Registered
576 Posts
My SLT is 2 wheel-drive with a traction control system called ESP. If I want to engage the 4 wheel-drive there is a knob right next to the gear shift. I live in a very small town, on a gravel road and we've had snow and ice since January 4th and i've only engaged the 4WD once. The ESP system works extremely well. I wouldn't recommend driving in 4WD full time due to excessive wear on the drive-line.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
The 4x2 models can never be all wheel drive. period. None of the Nitros are all wheel drive all of the time unless you just keep the 4x4 models knob turned to 4wd all the time. and yes it is a good idea to only use the 4wd when needed, as in when you are driving on a surface that allows slippage, as in ice, snow, mud or even gravel. But as is the general age old rule do not use 4wd for much of an extended period on dry pavement. I am one of those that would never buy any vehicle with full time all wheel drive..I want to control that factor. I quess a vehicle with the full time all wheel drive is fine for the little lady or the fellow that just does not have sense enough to know when 4 wd conditions exist. and yes in a constant state of crud say an Alaskan oil field type conditions... Or yes those folks who drive so aggressively that that they corner so hard the extra traction is good...But in a Nitro type vehicle??? really..............:confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just to clarify a bit, there are three options "available":

4x2: Two wheel drive only. There is no transfer case, and no switches on the dash. All of the power is delivered to the rear differential all the time.

4x4 Part-Time: This has a two wheel drive mode and a four wheel drive mode, and does not include a low gear. There is a dial knob on the center console next to the transmission shifter to select the mode. In 2wd mode, all power to delivered to the rear differential. In 4wd mode, equal power is delivered to both the front and rear differentials. Like others have said, this option is only meant to use 4wd when the conditions warrant it, as turning on hard surfaces that do not allow the tires to slip a little will cause binding in the driveline. Tight turns on dry pavement is where this is most noticable. All Nitros available today with the 4x4 badge have this transfer case.

4x4 Full-Time: This option is marked as Late Availability and may not actually be available until the 2008 model year, so the details are subject to change. It only offers a single 4wd mode, no 2wd mode, so there is no switch on the dash. This transfer case has a differential in the case itself, which allows different percentages of power to be delivered to the front and rear differentials. The differential in the transfer case is what allows it to operate on any surface type under every condition. Again, this option is not yet available on any trim level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.