Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

· Registered
2,138 Posts
As of July, 31, 09 Chrysler released a new PCM Flash Update for the 42RLE transmission. Here is what the Flash does. I will be flashing my PCM this week with this update and will let everyone know how its works out. :smileup: The TSB is 18-023-09. I should add this is basically what I had done by B&G Chrysler when I had my transmission shift schedule custom programmed.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may complain of a drone sound or a condition that feels like an irregular,
very short, slight deceleration as if the vehicle is being "tugged" from behind. This
condition exists between 1000 and 1600 rpm, 38 to 45 mph at constant speed. This
condition will be more noticeable during a light acceleration within the 38 to 45 mph vehicle
speed.
This new software update has removed 3rd gear partial lockup and raised the 4th gear full
lockup speed to 50 mph.

TSB 18-023-09 Flash Drone Sound Or Hesitation Feel Between 38 To 45 MPH.pdf

· Registered
7,426 Posts
Great news "flash" Larry. Thanks for up date. :rep:

Reactions: Mr. A

· Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
29,175 Posts
Great news for a lot of owners. Thanks for posting it. :rep:
I sure hope it works.

· Registered
1,786 Posts
I really hope this works for you. because this will reset your custom flash. My finger are crossed for you.

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds like what I am experiencing. I would assume that I would need to pay for this update if I am out of warranty (51000 miles), correct?
If you're out of warranty you will have to pay. Some dealers may do what's called 'goodwill warranty'. A warranty repair after the its run out but I think it requires a call to the District Service Manager(?). If you have a documented complaint regarding the transmission/engine performance maybe mention this. Its worth trying.

I want to add I looked to see if this Flash is available yet from Chrysler, cause sometimes it takes a few days to show up even though they've published the TSB, so far its not on the server. Hopefully soon, like this week.

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've looked online and cannot find details, but as stated earlier, it may take a few days. Question: Does this involve my wife's 2008 SXT auto? It's a bit of a dog during highway acceleration.
Doubt you'll find it accessible to the general public at this time. I'm looking at it on the Chrysler Corporate Tech wibsite. :smileup:

· Registered
80 Posts
Doubt you'll find it accessible to the general public at this time. I'm looking at it on the Chrysler Corporate Tech wibsite. :smileup:
I had my Nitro in for service today (roof rails) and asked them if they could perform this flash. They said they did it but did not list the TSB number on the invoice.

Yes, I paid for it.

· Registered
30 Posts
Great News

Have an appointment On Monday for mine, hope this is the one, because I love my Nitro to death.

2 years old and ony 4200 miles, 5 miles a day to and from work thats it, with an ocassional short trip somewhere.

Mickey

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The VERDICT !!

So I've Flashed and road tested my Nitro extensively and here's what I have to say. Don't wait any longer, run to get this flash done. This is the way the transmission should have been programmed when the Nitro came out in 2007. This flash is exactly what I had done by B&G Chrysler.

What some thought for the longest time was a torque converter shudder and actually was a drone/vibration from the engine is GONE!:SHOCKED: Light throttle driving at 75-80km is smooth and RPM's are no longer down at 1200 because torque converter lockup is not engaged. Lock-up in 4th comes on like it says in the TSB at 50mph. I also found the downshifting out of lock-up much more responsive. No more hesitation with throttle input, it downshifts nicely and accelerates the way it should. I say the way it should only becuase I have a lot of experience with Chrysler transmissions.

If you hated your Nitro because of the way the transmission shifted, you will again LOVE IT!!! Right now I'm impressed that Chrysler finally published a fix. I didn't think it would happen. To Chrysler -->:rep:

1 - 20 of 184 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.