Another Misfire Thread - This One Worth Reading

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro General Discussion' started by Detroit Iron, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Detroit Iron

Detroit Iron New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Color:
    Dark Charcoal Pearl
    I bought my 2011 Dodge Nitro Shock 4.0 brand new. Right away after driving it, I noticed a rough idle. I really didn't think much of this, nor did I take issue with the dealership because I assumed it might just be a spark plug, and it would eventually get fixed under maintenance. I regret not addressing this more aggressively.

Fast forward 50k miles. The vehicle has a definite misfire complete with engine light flashing and staying on. The vehicle is now out of warranty based on time, not mileage, so I took it to a friends ASE certified shop. He did the following:

Replaced Spark Plugs
    Replaced all Six Coils
    Checked Fuel Injectors
    Cleaned Cylinders (with Sea Foam)
    Leakdown Test
    Compression Test
    And the list goes one...

None of these things fixed the misfire, so he put a camera into the cylinder and could actually see it misfire. At this point I am into the diagnosis for $800 and he informed me that he felt it was something big like a cylinder head problem. If this is in fact a cylinder head problem, I was interested in checking to see if Chrysler would cover it even though it's out of warranty.

So, I took it to the dealer. Right away they tell me it's a bad fuel injector. I told them that I didn't believe it was, but was willing to let them have their way. I paid $800 and took my Nitro. It misfired on the way home.

I took it back to the dealer and dropped it off and told my super cool service writer that I was going to call Dodge Customer Care. I was given a case number by Customer Care and the diagnosis continued. They did everything my friends shop did and came up with the same result..... has to be the cylinder head. They replaced the cylinder head and the misfire continued. The dealer proceeded to replace all the coils and spark plugs again in addition to replacing the O2 sensors and the main computer. The Nitro continues to misfire!!!

At this point the dealer mechanics were unable to figure out what the problem was, so Dodge Customer Care sent a Chrysler Corporation engineer out to check out my vehicle. The last I heard from them is that they want to replace the cam shafts.

They have had my Nitro over two months now and they continue to keep in good communication with me. They keep saying they are looking in to everything they can do for me because they are sorry it's taking so long. Hmmm.... what might that be? A new Durango SRT? Haha

I would love to have input from anyone with a similar situation or a story of your dealings with Customer Care. Thanks for listening to my rant.

2. Metaldog

Metaldog Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4 3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    I hope they figure it out. I'm curious to hear the end results and fix.

3. NitroChemist

NitroChemist Active Member NOTM Winner! Military

Vehicle:
    Nitro SXT '08
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    I assume the fuel injector was replaced. BTW, which cylinder is misfiring? Location can be an indicator too. Are any other codes present? How many total miles? Has the timing belt been replaced? Does it use flaps on the intake housing?
    I would replace the injector electrical plug. Unless the misfire is random. I can use my Power Probe IV to test electrical injector output too.

4. Detroit Iron

Detroit Iron New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Color:
    Dark Charcoal Pearl
    Yes, the injectors were replaced. The misfire is primarily on cylinder 2 and may be in other cylinders as well. I can't confirm this. I also don't know if any other codes are present. The vehicle has 50k miles on it and was still running the stock timing belt. That has recently been changed along with the other related parts as part of the diagnosis.

5. NitroChemist

Vehicle:
    Nitro SXT '08
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    I would do a compression check to elimate any possible mechanical problem. Cylinders should be within 15 psi of each other. The closer the better. Sorry, I'm more familiar with a 3.7 and 4.7.

6. Detroit Iron

Detroit Iron New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Color:
    Dark Charcoal Pearl
    I picked my Nitro up yesterday after the dealer had it FOUR MONTHS trying to figure out the misfire.

As I stated in my original posting, Chrysler agreed to repair this under warranty, even though my warranty has expired. They spent $10k on it by throwing parts at it as a means of diagnosis.

The problem ended up being the cams. I had to pay $1500 to replace "maintenance items" such as water pump, timing components, belts, gaskets etc.

Chrysler also offered two years warranty on the engine. I'm sure I will never use that now, but it's good insurance.

So my Nitro friends I hope this will help some of you. Don't be afraid to push a little. They want to keep us as customers. I feel like they made good on the situation. The Nitro runs strong. That's why I bought it. It's a bad-ass little SUV!

Scar0 likes this.
  7. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    In an 2011 Nitro I can't imagine the cams were that worn out.
    I suppose the timing ring on the cam could have been going bad, causing the cam sensor to miss read. But a dealer should have been able to see that with their scanner in real time.
    If the lifters were gunked up it could cause a misfire. But that would not justify a Cam replacement.
    Most likely reason a Cam replacement fixed it, would be if the Cam had a defect from the manufacturer.

To bad they did not tell you what was wrong with the Cam.
    Anyway, Glad to hear you are back on the road again and that Dodge took care of it for you.

8. NitroChemist

Vehicle:
    Nitro SXT '08
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    Wow! One reason I dislike timing belts. Not know the original cause leaves us to guessing. Enjoy the new engine! Drive it like you stole it!!