Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Joined this group since it looks like one of the best resources for the Nitro. Just bought a 2010 SXT. I was a lease return, used by a travelling rep with 90, KM - mostly highway. It's in very good shape.

Only issue is the antenna base has been knocked off the roof (cleaning snow, most likely) and I'd like to know if anyone has details on accessing the area above the headliner, so I can plug in the new base and attach it properly.

·
Lighting Guru!
3,633 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place to access any information pertaining to the Nitro.
To replace the base of the antenna, you have to remove the headliner. I do believe that the base of the antenna is only held on by a few bolts. It may be possible to simply drop the rear portion of the headliner. One thing to remember when removing the pillars is that there are airbags behind them. So before you remove anything, disconnect your battery for at least 10 mins so that any charge in the system dissipates.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm hoping someone may have Mopar instructions for this job, so I know what I'm in for.

I added factory Sat radio to my 04 JGC and, other than the stress of drilling a hole in the roof, it was pretty straightforward. Just the top, rear trim had to be removed (screws and clips - some hidden) and then the headliner could be 'eased' down enough to allow access.

·
Lighting Guru!
3,633 Posts
It was next to impossible for me to post this in a thread, but the attached PDF is what my '08 service manual says to do in order to get to the base of the antenna. Like I said before, you probably do not have to remove the entire things, just the rear and be careful not to crease the headliner if using this method.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mender, the antenna base is in so I'll give it a try this weekend.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Hello and welcome BHART, :wave: to the Nitro “Z” family!
I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics.
Remember, we always like new Mod ideas here. :smileup:
Enjoy the forumz.
Scar

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
OK, found the directions - actually for the Sirius install kit, but has the basics I need.

Will thry this tomorrow, when the weather is warmer.
In looking at the PDF, I see the two wires running down the passenger side: the AM/FM and the Sirius cables. I wonder what the one is that goes off on the drivers side? :confused:

:cool:

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I would prefer to not have my manual directory posted to the world.

Can you please remove your open link?

Bots can find these and then my server will get hammered by every site in the world trying to hop my server for manual. The PDF is cool. The FTP root no so good.

Thank,
Billie Hall

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Removed links Per Billie Hall's request.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
B Hall, sorry about that. It did pop up high on the first page when I Googled the Mopar part number.

Are you OK if I keep a bookmark of your directory for my personal reference?

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
B Hall, sorry about that. It did pop up high on the first page when I Googled the Mopar part number.

Are you OK if I keep a bookmark of your directory for my personal reference?
Ya that's cool it's there for our members. It's going to get out there no matter how much a police it. I block about 30 domains a month from hot linking to my server. I normally don't google for my server I just watch the traffic information. Nitro forumz is always open for traffic because I have so much stuff linked. I can't password it or about 5000 post on this site will prompt for passwords so i am just going to have to live with what i started with.

May I ask were on Google you found my server? What part number did you search?

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I made some server changes. If you go to my server from nitrofourmz it should let you in but if you open a bookmark/link from another domain it should prompt for a login.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I googled 82210788 manual and found your .pdf but I just checked again and see your changes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Antenna base replacement, I just done mine about 2 weeks ago. I learned from doing and this is how I done it:

Open liftgate.

Pull down in the center of the upper trim, this releases the three clips and allows flexion to get one end out, then the other.

Gently pull center of headliner down, wedging with a 2" x 6" block of wood, allows enough room for hand with 1/4" drive ratchet to slide up in there with a 10mm socket.

Disconnect the wiring, w/ sat there are three sets of wires to d/c, all at the rear of headliner.

Having assistant standing on chair, reaching over the side to hold base from spinning, remove the one 10mm bolt holding base to roof.

Have assistant lift base straight up off roof while you feed the wiring up through the hole.

Insert new base wiring, then carefully set base squarely in position. You'll notice there is a clear plastic centering ring that goes around the bolt hole and locator pin. This clear plastic is FRAGILE! Make sure your assistant does NOT allow the base to spin at all once set in place while you're tightening the base bolt or it will break...not good.

Start new 10mm bolt into base and tighten carefully. Bolt is prepped with locktite already, so it will seem as if it were tight, but your assistant can very carefully wiggle to confirm it moves or does not move. Base should not move obviously.

Connect the wire harnesses.

Remove the 2 x 6 wedge. Smooth any creases you created in the headliner when you pulled it down and wedged it. After smoothing by hand, it took a few days of warm weather and interior temps getting hot for the remaining creases to disappear.

Install center top trim by bowing the middle, inserting one end into rear pillar, then opposing end, carefully snapping the three (3) tabs back into their respective clips.

Turn music on and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts