Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Great step-by-step instructions, CAT3!
:rep:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I guess if I have time this w/e I can do some pics to attach with this. I thought about it when I done mine, but Wx was rolling in and I needed it done quick. It took me all of about 9-min start to finish.

Ty Mark.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Your written instructions were excellent and very detailed. So I don't see a need for you to get Pics.
But, if you are in the mood, you could do a "How-To" and post it here.
Knowledge Base Articles.
Then one of the staff will move it into the How-To section of the forum.
That way it will be easier to find in the future. :smileup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Those instructions are exactly what I had to do to swap mine.

You forgot the part about skinned knuckles and wiping up the blood. I ended up finding an assistant with smaller hands than mine - only way it worked for me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Those instructions are exactly what I had to do to swap mine.

You forgot the part about skinned knuckles and wiping up the blood. I ended up finding an assistant with smaller hands than mine - only way it worked for me.
Ah, using the 2"x6" on long end to prop the headliner down, definitely provides enough room to avoid self-damage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was a bit reluctant to try anything more than a 2x4 because I didn't want to risk kinking the headliner. It looks like pretty fragile stuff.

Too bad the opening of the rear dome light didn't also double as an access hole for the antenna... but that's not how things work in the real world, is it. :shakehead:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I broke the antenna & base off my 2007 Dodge Nitro loading/unloading paddle boards & kayaks. I ordered a new base and now I have found your instructions. Wish it was something I could fix on my own but looks like I got to wait for help. But your instructions sound solid, I think we can figure this out. Got a 4 hour road trip coming up & I really don't want to use up my data streaming. I too wish the rear light was a access spot because I was actually able to get that off & on by myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
ive not had to replace mine, but seems easy enough, i have been behind the headliner to fix my alarm sensor, and as long as you are careful not to kink the headliner or get dity hand marks all over it, fairly easy.

Linda you can do this ( EASY ).

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Welcome to the forum Linda.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi". In your own newbie thread.
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I replaced my antenna base and antenna following the above instructions and it took around an hour, probably would've been longer if my assistant was not as smart as he is. I'm lucky to have a good neighbor.
Anyway we used two 2x2's about a foot long as a wedge on both sides of the base, and having a ratcheting flex head 10mm wrench helped tremendous also. The biggest challenge we found was trying to remove the old base from the roof. It didn't just lift right off. At least not how we could figure out. had to break off one of the plastic retainers, bend the alignment pin, and then it came off.

Now I wish I would've replaced it with one of those shark fin type of antennas.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I replaced my antenna base and antenna following the above instructions and it took around an hour, probably would've been longer if my assistant was not as smart as he is. I'm lucky to have a good neighbor.
Anyway we used two 2x2's about a foot long as a wedge on both sides of the base, and having a ratcheting flex head 10mm wrench helped tremendous also. The biggest challenge we found was trying to remove the old base from the roof. It didn't just lift right off. At least not how we could figure out. had to break off one of the plastic retainers, bend the alignment pin, and then it came off.

Now I wish I would've replaced it with one of those shark fin type of antennas.
i used the same method as you, using the bits of wood, worked great, but still found i very hard getting to the small bolt.

i did replace mine with a shark fin, looked all over to find a plug and play, bought what i thought was correct, turned out the connector was slightly different, however sorted it in the end, and it came already painted brilliant black, will post a pic when i have chance.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally I had just ordered the antenna mast as it was missing. While waiting for that to arrive I did some snooping around and saw that the base was cracked, so I ordered the base that goes with the antenna.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is an older posting and I'm planning on replacing my antenna base. I will take step by step photos. Should I start a new post or continue here? It's a 2007 with no satellite.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts