Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen that some of you lucky people have R/Ts with the MyGig. I've seen the photos, but not any reviews.

I have had one on order since January 09, 2007, but am getting impatient.

For the ones that have it, is it worth the wait?

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've seen that some of you lucky people have R/Ts with the MyGig. I've seen the photos, but not any reviews.

I have had one on order since January 09, 2007, but am getting impatient.

For the ones that have it, is it worth the wait?

Thanks.
ship date for mine is tomorrow. I should have it by end of week. I will give you the skinny then...although we both know it needs no review ;) It is just going to be awesome

·
Registered
543 Posts
We picked ours up Thursday with the Mygig, and is definately worth the wait. I sat in my wife's Nitro Thursday night just fooling around with the mygig, as like the other test pilot ones with mygig, our instruction manual is on order. The voice recognition thing is pretty cool. Now since I've driven the vehicle a whopping 12 feet, I really can't give any feedback about the navigation system. But the radio controls are pretty nice and really cool that you can put your own picture on the screen next to them. The jukebox feature is something that I will need to figure out a little better when I get the manual, as to how to organize music and so forth. U connect is very handy, and wish I had it in my vehicle. Most definately worth the wait in my opinion

·
Registered
415 Posts
my friend at the plant sent me my "navigation owners manual" and i have been going through it (all 183 pages)

their are alot of neet features like you can set a destination and the system gives you a route......if you deviated from that route it recalculates and gives you a new route to your destination

you can also add a second destination to a route (like adding a gas station on the way) and it calculates to the gas station then to the destination

you have a home setting that will take you home from any place you are

they have POI point of interest selection of restaurants stores gas stations etc

you can set a destination by address, intersection, geo coorinates,poi, point on map etc

their is where am i now?, my trips, emergency info, guide me home, etc

also all of this can be used by voice commands you can even change the stations on the radio by voice commands

their is a jukebox section to add your favorite albums and access them quickly

also you can stor music and pics on the hard drive

you can imput addresses and phone numbers in the address book and either have the nav find a route to the address or use your U connect to call the person (either by typing in the info or by voice commands)

i am still learning and have to get more involved with things...........like the usb port and jack imput

the real time traffic is awsume it shows things on the screen and also you can go to a second menu TMC traffic and it displays traffic info telling you where the traffic is and info on if it is road work or traffic or such

this thing is awsume

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

my friend at the plant sent me my "navigation owners manual" and i have been going through it (all 183 pages)

their are alot of neet features like you can set a destination and the system gives you a route......if you deviated from that route it recalculates and gives you a new route to your destination

you can also add a second destination to a route (like adding a gas station on the way) and it calculates to the gas station then to the destination

you have a home setting that will take you home from any place you are

they have POI point of interest selection of restaurants stores gas stations etc

you can set a destination by address, intersection, geo coorinates,poi, point on map etc

their is where am i now?, my trips, emergency info, guide me home, etc

also all of this can be used by voice commands you can even change the stations on the radio by voice commands

their is a jukebox section to add your favorite albums and access them quickly

also you can stor music and pics on the hard drive

you can imput addresses and phone numbers in the address book and either have the nav find a route to the address or use your U connect to call the person (either by typing in the info or by voice commands)

i am still learning and have to get more involved with things...........like the usb port and jack imput

the real time traffic is awsume it shows things on the screen and also you can go to a second menu TMC traffic and it displays traffic info telling you where the traffic is and info on if it is road work or traffic or such

this thing is awsume
Guess I'll stick it out a little longer. You sold me on the real time traffic and voice commands. The traffic info will come in handy in Los Angeles.

Thanks for your review and time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

We picked ours up Thursday with the Mygig, and is definately worth the wait. I sat in my wife's Nitro Thursday night just fooling around with the mygig, as like the other test pilot ones with mygig, our instruction manual is on order. The voice recognition thing is pretty cool. Now since I've driven the vehicle a whopping 12 feet, I really can't give any feedback about the navigation system. But the radio controls are pretty nice and really cool that you can put your own picture on the screen next to them. The jukebox feature is something that I will need to figure out a little better when I get the manual, as to how to organize music and so forth. U connect is very handy, and wish I had it in my vehicle. Most definately worth the wait in my opinion
Guess I'll wait and make friends with the U connect.

Thank you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Guess I'll stick it out a little longer. You sold me on the real time traffic and voice commands. The traffic info will come in handy in Los Angeles.

Thanks for your review and time.

their is alot more that i am missing telling about
i just went out and programmed the clock, radio stations, and my home destination
still need to add different addresses to my address book
i did the voice recognition testing to set the system up to recognize my voice as the main voice
i even set the volume on the system voice that talks to you and gives you commands

i did alittle playing with the traffic info, but need to get more into it to learn more about it
but you have different setting as to if it tells you about all traffic within the map area or just on your route and it also gives you automatic or manual as to if their is a traffic problem if the nav systme automatically gives you a route around the problme or in manual it asks you if you want a route around it

i will work on loading some of my CD's into the hard drive and adding a couple pictures just to see how that works

unfortunately my phone is not bluetooth and i still have about 6 months until i can upgrade (without paying a rediculous amount to get a bluetooth phone)
i wish i could use the Uconnect but i will have to wait on that

i am learning more and more as i go along :Racing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
mygig questions

Hi Warriorbob

When inputting a POI, can you type in a specific store, such as Target or Home Depot or Starbucks?

My TOM TOM GPS cannot do this, if I am looking for a Home Depot, I need to type in Stores, and scroll down all different stores until I find the Home Depot one.

Mikes Nitro

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
Hi Warriorbob

When inputting a POI, can you type in a specific store, such as Target or Home Depot or Starbucks?

My TOM TOM GPS cannot do this, if I am looking for a Home Depot, I need to type in Stores, and scroll down all different stores until I find the Home Depot one.

i dont know what version of tom tom software you are using, but my tomtom can do this. Just go to Navigate To>Point of Interest>All Points of Interest>Point of Interest Near You>Point of Interest within (X) Miles (not sure the exact order of these options) and then you can type in the name of the place :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
unfortunately my phone is not bluetooth and i still have about 6 months until i can upgrade (without paying a rediculous amount to get a bluetooth phone)
i wish i could use the Uconnect but i will have to wait on that
You paid what $1700 for the mygig?!? Hell, an extra $200 for a bluetooth capable phone (probably less if you go through e-bay) would be worth it for how it will enhance your experience....

....hell, maybe I am not the guy to talk to...I work in the wireless industry and tend frivilously buy new handsets about evey six months.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You paid what $1700 for the mygig?!? Hell, an extra $200 for a bluetooth capable phone (probably less if you go through e-bay) would be worth it for how it will enhance your experience....

....hell, maybe I am not the guy to talk to...I work in the wireless industry and tend frivilously buy new handsets about evey six months.

well then send me a bluetooth phone :D

i guess its all about priorities........to be honest the Uconnect was not the reason i got the MyGig (got it for the Nav, the hard drive, and the sirius)
when i can upgrade my phone i will get the bluetooth phone but if i did not have the Uconnect on the Nitro i would not worry about it
i guess i just dont put talking on the phone as a big priority (im not a big phone person)

·
Registered
24 Posts
bob...does some of the hard drive space get taken up by the navigation data, or is there a virgin 20gb waiting for my death metal to punish? keep the info coming...this is one of the main reasons i bought this truck and i can't wait for it. there is no other vehicle/system on the market that does all this and has sirius too (i'm a big sirius fan). other systems have navigation, but only come with xm (because of navtraffic), and i didn't want xm. i think the only other hard-drive based system with storage for your data comes in the infiniti g35, and you load stuff with a compactflash card to only 9.5gb (and you can't get navigation with sirius in it). thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
415 Posts
bob...does some of the hard drive space get taken up by the navigation data, or is there a virgin 20gb waiting for my death metal to punish? keep the info coming...this is one of the main reasons i bought this truck and i can't wait for it. there is no other vehicle/system on the market that does all this and has sirius too (i'm a big sirius fan). other systems have navigation, but only come with xm (because of navtraffic), and i didn't want xm. i think the only other hard-drive based system with storage for your data comes in the infiniti g35, and you load stuff with a compactflash card to only 9.5gb (and you can't get navigation with sirius in it). thanks again for the info!
from what i have read the navigation data does take up some of the hard drive space i did not think to try and check to see how much space it takes up but from what i read you can save over 1600 songs so that should keep your head pounding with death metal :D

i loaded into my jukebox complete CD's from george througood, alice cooper, and rob zombie sofar

i even loaded a couple pics into the viewer and set one as my screen

i am learning more and more each day ( i spend an hour or two each day on it) i will post more as i learn i think the next thing i will be checking out is the POI (point of interest) on the nav system

·
Registered
543 Posts
Although I'm not bob, I can answer that for you. A sizeable amount of hard drive space is dedicated to the navigation system. I was looking at the amount of useable space for files, and it said something a little over 9 gigs....so the navigation system uses slightly more than half of the hard drive space from what I see.....but 9 gigs is still a large amount of space to store mp3's and a few pics

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
i dont know what version of tom tom software you are using, but my tomtom can do this. Just go to Navigate To>Point of Interest>All Points of Interest>Point of Interest Near You>Point of Interest within (X) Miles (not sure the exact order of these options) and then you can type in the name of the place :)
which tomtom do you have? 510, 910, One? The new tt software is great IMHO:)

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Although I'm not bob, I can answer that for you. A sizeable amount of hard drive space is dedicated to the navigation system. I was looking at the amount of useable space for files, and it said something a little over 9 gigs....so the navigation system uses slightly more than half of the hard drive space from what I see.....but 9 gigs is still a large amount of space to store mp3's and a few pics
Just to piggyback off that. The dodge site reminds you that you can put up to 1600 songs on the MyGIG, and I know that doesn't come close to 20gigs. Best thing to do is to get an MP3 player that will solve any problems of storage space. I plan on getting a 30gig IPod once I pick up my RT next week.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just to let you know....I ordered mine on Jan.6th and it just got to the freight yard in Benitia Ca. yesterday! I can expect delivery sometime next week. I bought a R/T Inferno Red w/ MyGig and a host of other goodies. I can tell you up front that the wait has taken it's toll on me, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. So enjoy this forum and soon you'll be surprised...Joe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.