Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Anyone else run out of gas in their Nitro.....yet.

10K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  DogLHunt 
#1 ·
I’m one of those people that like to wait till the last minute to fill up my gas tank. The other day I was driving home on the toll road. I stopped to eat at one of the service plazas. My fuel warning light had been on, so I was going to get maybe 2 gallons of gas to get home, where gas is cheaper. The gas lines were long and I got impatient and decided to take a chance. I figured I had 34 miles left in the tank and about that many miles to get home. As I left the turn pike, after about 30 miles, and was entering the highway home, my Nitro started to sputter. I pulled over to the side and started to swear. Even worse, my cell phone battery had gone dead while in Philadelphia and I did not have a charger with me.

I’m stranded along side the highway in 90+ degree heat, no gas, no cell phone. I started to walk to the next exit, where I found a Days Inn. I asked to use their phone and called AAA. I sat in my hot Nitro for the next hour waiting for a tow truck with gas to show up. The driver was a Michigan fan and got a kick out of the fact that he was helping a stranded Ohio State fan. If I knew he was a Michigan fan before putting gas in my Nitro, I would have said NO thanks!.....................not. LOL. Maybe I have learned my lesson, but I doubt it. I like to push things to the extreme.

I have to buy a phone charger for the car…..that will solve all my problems!

See less See more
Reactions: Quiet Lunatic
#9 ·
I never let mine get below 1/4 tank.
With the In-tank fuel pump, the fuel in the tank helps to cool the pump. This helps to prolong the life of the pump. My 85 jeep is the same way, 200,000+ miles on the original pump.
My brother in-law has a 92 jeep and has replaced his pump 2 times already. He always runs his almost to empty before getting gas.

I had a rig a few years back that made the "1/4 tank" suggestion in the owners manual, to prolong the life of the pump. Been doing it ever since.
They don't put it in the owners manuals any more, as they realized how much $ they were costing themselves in fuel pump replacements. You have to drop the tank to change the pump. $369.00 for the pump and $350.00 labor add up quickly.

#11 ·
I've had 15 plus cars, some with 250,000 miles on them, and I have never replaced a fuel pump (I probably just jinxed myself, knock on wood). I have always let my gas tank go bone dry before filling up. It is a bad habit that my wife tells me about allllll the time. That is why this was not my first time running out of gas. Maybe I do it to piss the wife off, maybe I like people pointing and laughing at me, stranded on the side of the road. Maybe I'm just a sick person!

#16 ·
#18 ·
I'm a dummy! I ran out last Friday. I saw the gas lite on but was running around town doing service calls; so when I was driving backroads home, saw it was below empty, and thot, ohoh! Not long after it ran out, so I thot about calling CAA(AAA equivalent!), but realized I didn't know the name of the road I was on. Fortunately I had a 4 gallon can of 110 octane I had bought earlier for my other car, so I dumped about half a gallon in to get me to the next town. Yikes, cause that 110 is $14 a gallon!!!:shakehead: :loser1::smiledown::(

#19 ·
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to run out of gas. Thanks for the company nitrosxt!

#21 ·
I visit the gas station once for every two that you visit the station, FranknBeans. That is why I wait till my tank is almost empty! I like to see that low fuel light come on and go bing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.