Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a couple issues and seeking advice!
I fill up my tank at least every other day, sometimes 2 days in a row. All this time I’ve been chalking it up to driving a lot since I’m usually out and about for work. But I wouldn’t say I drive as much as a delivery driver.
So, recently I decided to keep track. Averaged under 9mpg. Correct me if I’m wrong, the fuel tank is 19.5 gallons. Just to confirm I’m getting that awful fuel mileage, I filled it up again and reset the trip meter again. When my fuel light came on, I had only driven 128 miles.
Not throwing any codes.
It does idle low (500 rpm) and shakes a tiny bit, but only sometimes. Also has a light tapping sound that’s more pronounced when the engine is cold. I replaced the spark plugs (NGK copper, gapped to .040 like it says on the sticker under the hood) less than 5k miles ago. All of the ignition coils are less than a year old, albeit “Blue streak” or whatever from O’reilly’s. Cam and crank sensors are both new and OEM. I change the oil every 1k miles (yeah yeah waste of money whatever). 4qts of royal purple and 1qt of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. It also has this really annoying sputter. Not sure how else to describe it. Like it’s missing but just barely. And it’s much more noticeable in reverse.

Recently replaced the lower control arm bushings. What a nightmare that was. Also replaced the sway bar links. I was going to do the uppers also, and the ball joints, but after that I think I’m just going to replace the control arms in their entirety. I started messing with the front end because seemingly out of nowhere it started pulling to the right (didn’t hit any potholes or curbs) and the right front tire was wearing MUCH faster than the other 3. It’s pretty much bald at this point, but I’m not putting new tires on it till the other stuff is fixed. I adjusted the tie rods by eyeballing them and now it’s got just a tiny bit of pull to the right, and my steering wheel is now centered. That was driving me crazy. Should stop screwing around and just take it to a shop? I have yet to find someone who can recommend a good place around here, plus I don’t have another vehicle so I’d rather not drop it off somewhere, if possible. Maybe I’ll just replace the control arms and take it somewhere for an alignment.
Thanks in advance y’all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whoops. Forgot to mention the front wheels feeling like they’re about to fall off when I turn tight and slow. I know a little skip or slip is to be expected when making a slow, tight turn, but this is nowhere near a little and is definitely not normal

·
Registered
69 Posts
Having a couple issues and seeking advice!
I fill up my tank at least every other day, sometimes 2 days in a row. All this time I’ve been chalking it up to driving a lot since I’m usually out and about for work. But I wouldn’t say I drive as much as a delivery driver.
So, recently I decided to keep track. Averaged under 9mpg. Correct me if I’m wrong, the fuel tank is 19.5 gallons. Just to confirm I’m getting that awful fuel mileage, I filled it up again and reset the trip meter again. When my fuel light came on, I had only driven 128 miles.
Not throwing any codes.
It does idle low (500 rpm) and shakes a tiny bit, but only sometimes. Also has a light tapping sound that’s more pronounced when the engine is cold. I replaced the spark plugs (NGK copper, gapped to .040 like it says on the sticker under the hood) less than 5k miles ago. All of the ignition coils are less than a year old, albeit “Blue streak” or whatever from O’reilly’s. Cam and crank sensors are both new and OEM. I change the oil every 1k miles (yeah yeah waste of money whatever). 4qts of royal purple and 1qt of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. It also has this really annoying sputter. Not sure how else to describe it. Like it’s missing but just barely. And it’s much more noticeable in reverse.

Recently replaced the lower control arm bushings. What a nightmare that was. Also replaced the sway bar links. I was going to do the uppers also, and the ball joints, but after that I think I’m just going to replace the control arms in their entirety. I started messing with the front end because seemingly out of nowhere it started pulling to the right (didn’t hit any potholes or curbs) and the right front tire was wearing MUCH faster than the other 3. It’s pretty much bald at this point, but I’m not putting new tires on it till the other stuff is fixed. I adjusted the tie rods by eyeballing them and now it’s got just a tiny bit of pull to the right, and my steering wheel is now centered. That was driving me crazy. Should stop screwing around and just take it to a shop? I have yet to find someone who can recommend a good place around here, plus I don’t have another vehicle so I’d rather not drop it off somewhere, if possible. Maybe I’ll just replace the control arms and take it somewhere for an alignment.
Thanks in advance y’all!
The fuel light comes on well before the tank is empty, so assuming that you have used 19.5 gal. is incorrect. Re-fill the tank at this point to get the gal. used off the pump, then re-calculate mpg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The fuel light comes on well before the tank is empty, so assuming that you have used 19.5 gal. is incorrect. Re-fill the tank at this point to get the gal. used off the pump, then re-calculate mpg.
Sorry, I didn’t clarify. How I came up with under 9mpg was by filling up, resetting trip meter and driving till fuel light came on, then filing up again and dividing the number of miles I had driven by the number of gallons it took on the 2nd fill. I don’t remember the numbers exactly but it came out to 8.87376458(or something)mpg. When I said “confirm” I didn’t calculate exactly on that go round.
Without a doubt, I got under 9mpg on the tank I calculated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The fuel light comes on with 30 miles left in tank, at least for mine (2008 SLT 4x4) if that helps. 8-9 mpg sounds horrible, even for the Nitro. I average somewhere between 15-18 mpg with mixed local/hwy use.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I agree it is horrible. Hence this post. Lol

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
Wow that sounds like my Nitro when I first got it new in 07,
Brakes dragging maybe?

·
Registered
651 Posts
My MPG is terrible but not that bad lol. Even with all my mods I still get 13-14..... I get 8-9 when pulling a 4000lb pontoon...... stuck calipers good starting point as the nitro seems to be known for that... after that I don’t know enough about engine to comment being all your plugs etc are new.....

Reactions: Scar0
1 - 8 of 8 Posts