Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, with the stock radio, i have always had reception issues. FM was ok, but not great. AM was nearly useless and had a "whine" until the radio was warmed up. Now, im north of chicago and get plenty of good signals.

Since hands free laws are coming to illinois, i decided to go with an aftermarket stereo with bluetooth. I have installed many stereos in various vehicles over the years. Never has been a tough issue and every unit ive installed has increased radio reception noticably everytime ecept for this time.

Not only has my radio reception gotten worse, its almost gone with a new JVC unit. Im sure the antenna adapter is correclty installed and this radio has a more sensitive FM reciever but, still no reception.

With that, since this has been a problem from day one, is there any known issues with the antenna setup? Does anyone have any thoughts about improving my signal. Can the antenna go bad? I can always bluetooth music but, i like listening to local sports etc.

Thanks in advance

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,483 Posts
The stock HU uses an amplified antenna feed into the HU to boost the reception.
It is the 22 way(Grey) plug. Pin 7
Another member here got a separate powered antenna.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...so you are saying i could use a completely separate powered antenna i run myself? Is there no adapter for this antenna issue. There has to be a ton of people here that have aftermarket HUs here.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
A normal car antenna for AM/FM is 33" long. The stub antenna on the Nitro has to be amplified to make up the difference. Check and see if JVC makes an adapter for Mopar powered antennas.

:cool:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, i think i found my problem. I went home and grabbed the wiring diagrams and i may have missed a minor(major) detail. During installation i hooked blue to blue, red to red etc. But, i failed to see that two wires splice prior to matching its counterpart in the harness. Needless to say, the wire i didnt splice to the wrong color happens to be....the antenna power! So ill go home , splice them up and report back. Im confident it will work.rookie mistake for my first thread. Off to a good start!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spliced two wires from the P.A.C. wire harness (blue/white and blue) into one wire from the JVC (blue/white) and guess who has crystal clear radio?! The blue/white from the JVC said it MUST be connected for the internal amp. At the very bottom it also said it can be used with a powered antenna.guess i should have read a little further.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,483 Posts
Cool deal! glad things worked out. :smileup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts