Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 3.7l SXT that quit on me the other day. I was driving on the freeway just fine, took an exit ramp and the vehicle started to choke out at around 1500 rpms and completely shut off when I came to a stop. I was unable to start the vehicle after that and had it towed. As a bit of background, I have noticed worse fuel economy over the last 2-3 months, with a drop from 19-20 mpg to 16-17. I haven't really noticed much in terms of reduced power or acceleration. About one week ago on a cold morning I started up and noticed a loud ping/knock that disappeared once I got driving it, but that may just be coincidence.

My question is, could this be an EGR issue? Initially had concern for bad gas, so we dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump as we were there to work on it. Got that all back together and tried to start it, it turned over and the starter engaged but still wouldn't start. I tried starting with the accelerator down to the floor and it fired up, it ran as long as I kept it above 1500 rpms but the moment it dropped down it stalled out. Given that I don't have a code reader at my house I was unable to check for any codes, but the check engine light never came on and I had no other indicators show up.

I've gone ahead and ordered a replacement egr valve, at 188k miles and never changed it, so it's not a big deal to me, but was just curious if I was looking in the right place or if anyone had similar experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
You don't need a code reader. Get in, turn your key on and off three times quickly, leaving it on the third time. Any codes should display in your odometer.

·
Registered
2007 R/T
296 Posts
Get a code reader (bluetooth one; cheap) and buy the torque app (I think it only comes on Androids).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 3.7l SXT that quit on me the other day. I was driving on the freeway just fine, took an exit ramp and the vehicle started to choke out at around 1500 rpms and completely shut off when I came to a stop. I was unable to start the vehicle after that and had it towed. As a bit of background, I have noticed worse fuel economy over the last 2-3 months, with a drop from 19-20 mpg to 16-17. I haven't really noticed much in terms of reduced power or acceleration. About one week ago on a cold morning I started up and noticed a loud ping/knock that disappeared once I got driving it, but that may just be coincidence.

My question is, could this be an EGR issue? Initially had concern for bad gas, so we dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump as we were there to work on it. Got that all back together and tried to start it, it turned over and the starter engaged but still wouldn't start. I tried starting with the accelerator down to the floor and it fired up, it ran as long as I kept it above 1500 rpms but the moment it dropped down it stalled out. Given that I don't have a code reader at my house I was unable to check for any codes, but the check engine light never came on and I had no other indicators show up.

I've gone ahead and ordered a replacement egr valve, at 188k miles and never changed it, so it's not a big deal to me, but was just curious if I was looking in the right place or if anyone had similar experience. Thanks!
Check the plastic intake for cracks, very common problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced the egr valve and it started right up. Housing was fine but I assume the valve was stuck and that was the underlying issue. I plan on purchasing an OBD scanner shortly to scan and see if there were any saved codes, but for now we're back up and running.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
also the EGR hose degrades and start to leak,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts