Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving south on I-85 heading back to GA for work. I was going up a hill and heard a odd noise and something didn’t seem right.
As I top the hill i hear a boom and what sounded like a bunch of metal clanking together). I look back and see small pieces of metal hitting the road. So I coast to the side of the interstate, get out and see a light oil trail. I look underneath and oil is everywhere. My oil pan has a bulge in the bottom near the drain plug.
Pretty sure the bottom end has blown.
(194,608 miles)
Beginning of this year, it had a valve seat drop. I had the heads redone and a new timing chain kit installed)
I’m thinking it’s about time to let the Nitro go
Plant Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive tire Tire Tread Road surface Wheel
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2007 R/T
174 Posts
Completely sux! So sorry to see that.

Especially after all the money spent on the heads.

I wonder if it dropped another valve and then crunched the piston. I would pull the valve cover if possible to see that.

Dang it!

Maybe get another Nitro only this time, get a 4.0L w/low miles.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Completely sux! So sorry to see that.

Especially after all the money spent on the heads.

I wonder if it dropped another valve and then crunched the piston. I would pull the valve cover if possible to see that.

Dang it!

Maybe get another Nitro only this time, get a 4.0L w/low miles.
I’m already in the process of purchasing a 2013 Silverado 2500 LTZ Z71 4wd 6.6L
Nitro will eventually get a new engine. I have a family member who may buy it after.

I found this tonight while looking underneath. Hole in the block right by the oil pan. Lip of the oil pan is pealed back.
Pretty sure it’s rod/crank failure. Not sure how though. Oil was good, changed every 5k miles.
Kinda wondering if that noise i’ve been having that comes and goes was the reason (I guess i’ll find out)
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Window

• Sad
Reactions: 07SLT

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still have the Nitro…..for now.
My mom said she’s buy it when it is running again…. It would be lowered back down to stock height, stock tire size, but the same wheels it has now.
I did pick up a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 4x4 crew cab today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh man that's not good. I just replaced my engine last fall due to the same issue, and to top it all off my oil pan has the same buldge!!! Defect?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts