Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cautious:Last week I hit 175k miles. Change my oil, diff fluid, and trans fluid, shocks, struts, coil springs, pan-hard bar, sway bar links, and replaced the trans cooler lines.
Came back to GA this past Saturday after storm work in OK.
Drove around a little while and my engine randomly starts to run rough before shutting off in the middle of traffic.
I limp it back up the road (not even a mile) to my hotel and it shuts off as soon as I pull into the parking spot.
I had it towed to a local shop that has 5 star reviews. I was informed today that a valve has dropped on cylinder 2.
They are going to remove the cylinder heads to been sent to a local machine shop.
Replacing oil again, coolant, head gasket, as well as the timing chain kit.
This year is starting off great

·
Registered
61 Posts
The only bright spot is at least you have a lot of new parts. Might want to knock out the water pump too if it’s getting old.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only bright spot is at least you have a lot of new parts. Might want to knock out the water pump too if it’s getting old.
Water pump is not too old. Just replaced it in 2017 or 2018 :\
and when I redone the timing cover gasket, the kit came with two new seals for it.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Bummer, sorry to hear that.
Hope the valve did not pop a hole in the piston!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer, sorry to hear that.
Hope the valve did not pop a hole in the piston!
I’m hoping the same thing.
When it happened I didn’t hear any strange/odd noises. Sounded exactly like a misfire, which is why I thought maybe I had got some bad gas.
I’ll find out soon though. If it has piston damage, I’ll probably see how much a remanufactured engine would be to install

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
2007 SXT RWD
22 Posts
Oh man Patrick you have been having bad luck recently. Did they give you a quote for the dropped valve? Maybe look into getting a remanufactured head for around $300.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man Patrick you have been having bad luck recently. Did they give you a quote for the dropped valve? Maybe look into getting a remanufactured head for around $300.
Machined heads and timing chain kit with fresh oil and coolant will be $1800-$2200 roughly...if their is no piston damage.
I spoke to the guy and said if it goes up (after removing the cylinder head and checking the piston) let me know and i’ll probably go with a remanufactured engine

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To better clarify what is going on, I spoke with the Tech who is working on my car.
This seems to be a pretty common problem with the 4.7L and 3.7L.
(And from what I have looked up, for some odd reason 99% of the time it’s intake valve on cylinder 2)
The valve seat is press fitted into the cylinder heads. Cylinder 2 intake valve seat has dropped and wedged itself to where the intake valve is stuck open, which then caused the rocker arm to drop.

Reactions: Scar0
1 - 9 of 9 Posts