Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a dodge nitro 2009. Over the past few weeks I noticed the battery draining and when not used for a couple of days.
I measured with a multimeter and the current being drawn in rest mode with nothing on is 230mA. I have narrowed it down by removing the fuse M38, door locks and the current drawn drops to around 50mA.
Should I remove the door lock module I. The drivers door as this lock has also stopped working recently.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Sean

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
mine does the same thing never had time to find the cause, i bought a new 100ah battery and it has cured the issue for now plus engine starts alot better,
it could be the alarm module causing the problem, the alarm electronics are within and controlled by the TIPM, there is nothing you can do or change on the alarm,
however this is my theory, the alarm module is basicly the siren AND a backup battery, if someone cuts the main battery the alarm still activates, i think the backup battery maybe passed it's best and keeps drawing power from the main battery to keep it charged,
but i have not checked it out to confirm my suspicions,
whenever you are trying to test the current draw, after making any changes, you must then wait for a few minutes for the vehicles electronics to stabilise, opening a door, bonnet or any interior movement will effect the current draw reading,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for replying. I would like to check out the backup battery on the alarm module and perhaps see if it can be replaced. I waited a minute for the current to settle and everything is closed and off. The current draw was then 230mA. Removing fuse M38 dropped the current draw to 50mA
Kind regards
Sean

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
if i remember correctly, when i did a current draw test mine was the same 230mA, but i didn't get as far as you with tracking down the cause, there is something else which may be the cause of the excessive current draw,
when you lock the doors with the keyfob and the alarm starts it's arming process, after about 20 seconds you will here a second locking action taking place at the door lock mechanisms, this is an added security feature (only export Nitro's) that makes it impossible to open the doors from inside or outside the vehicle, these 2 relays are located behind the kick panel in the front drivers side footwell, it could be these relays which are drawing the extra current,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts