Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres my problem i have a 2008 dodge nitro RT. my battery keeps dying after a few days. i bougth a new battery about 1 month ago, got both my battery checked along with my alternator and both were good. they told me my battery needed to be recharged but it was still a good battery . the only thing i can think of is when i was replacing my old battery i accidenlty broke the positive terminal. i went to autozone etc. to get a new terminal but they did not have an orignal one, all they had was a universal terminal. i have some pics. ( the one not installed is the original one) now my question is is it possible that maybe the "universal terminal" i have now is maybe causing my battery to dye after a few days? idk it sounds like something is draining my battery? thats what the guy at auto zone suggested.

thanks first post and many more to come. edit- i also have an electrical problem thats been there for about 7 months but thats for a diffrent post. i want to get some pictures of the part that i think is causing the short. its part of the rear driver ligth harness. keeps telling my my ligth is out when its good and it flashes fast sometimes, and the rear ligth (driver) is real dim can barely see it on.

battery terminal 1.jpeg battery terminal 2.jpeg

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I'd say first fix the tail light issue. Sound like it needs a new tail light socket assembly. How long have you been having the dying battery for? Just make sure that universal terminal is tight. You can't move it by hand. Honestly, that's not the greatest terminal, there are more study ones out there.

Let's eliminate a known electrical before we move onto the dying battery. Just my suggestion.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,837 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Rick91RT. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say first fix the tail light issue. Sound like it needs a new tail light socket assembly. How long have you been having the dying battery for? Just make sure that universal terminal is tight. You can't move it by hand. Honestly, that's not the greatest terminal, there are more study ones out there.

Let's eliminate a known electrical before we move onto the dying battery. Just my suggestion.
the battery is fairly new its about 2 months old. and yea i think i do need a new tail ligth assembly. both the connector and the bulb mount look burned out. i bougth a new bulb mount and it burned it out also 2 days later so i think its the connector.

Attachments

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,837 Posts
You will need to see if you can get a new plug from a junk yard. The OEM "repair" kits are a small fortune.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
With battery draining over time.
Do you have acces to an amp meter?
Lift negative terminal and measure current with all power in the Nitro off.
Current should be quite low.
Do you have anything on the AUX power connector? Example 24 hour dashcam ?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Just for info.
I disconnected in my rde all extras (GPS,dash cam etc )
Accuracy of test not perfect
.Turned interior lights to stay off. Closed the doors. Removed neg battery cable and connected amp meter.
Right afyet connecting current read 2.4 amps.
After about 10 seconds this dropped to 1.1 amp.
After 30 seconds dropped to way down to less than 0.4 amps
Reading may be lower later as everything goes into a sleep mode.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Scar0
1 - 8 of 8 Posts