Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week it started having a sluggish start, made a clicking sound like the battery was dead then would start after a couple of attempts. I took the Car to where I purchased the battery from less then 8 months ago, they tested the battery, alternator, and starter saying it all looked good. Well yesterday It started doing it again after making a stop by walmart. But this time the battery light has come on and refuses to go back out. Even after a lot of driving and multiple times of turning it off and on. The car seems to be starting fine now but I've also noticed the 12v aux plugin located in the rear won't activate by the button located up front. Any ideas? For more information Its a 2007 dodge nitro RT, and yes I was using the 12v aux to power a tiny mobile TV for the kid in the back.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,845 Posts
The rear plug will not work with the battery light on.
The question is why is the light on? Try a battery disconnect;
Always disconnect Neg (-) battery cable first, then Pos (+) battery cable, reconnect Pos (+) battery cable first, then Neg (-) battery cable!
NEVER disconnect the Pos (+) with Neg (-) still connected, and
NEVER connect the Neg (-) without the Pos (+) already connected.
Check the battery posts and terminals to make sure they are clean and tight. While the battery is disconnected also check the Pos(+) cable connection to the TIPM (computerized fuse box) is also clean and tight.
Then check the ground strap on the passenger side going from the firewall to the engine/trany.
Lastly check the generator bolt to bracket is also clean and tight. The generator is grounded thru it's body to the engine thru the bracket.
Reconnect the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried this and everything went smoothly for a day, no battery light or anything. I get up to take the kid to daycare and go to work the car starts perfect still no battery light. I get to her daycare about a 25 min drive down the hwy, shut it off and take her in. I go to crank it back up and theres the clicking again, it does start after a few clicks but my battery light is back on. I didn't have anything plugged into the rear 12v aux this morning. But it was working fine yesterday after the light cleared as you suggested. This is the strangest issue, the battery, alternator, and starter all seem to be testing out fine and there was nothing loose or any corrosion present.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thought that solved the problem, but it didn't now back to square one with this issue. Strongly considering taking it to the dealership, but would rather avoid the pricey bill it will create. Everything is testing out good, but I bought a starter anyway and started to remove the old one and install this one when I noticed one of the three bolts from the already mounted starter is missing, could this be the cause? I highly doubt it but figured it was worth asking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts