Beach Question

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Offroad' started by XCapt1, Feb 4, 2013.

1. XCapt1

XCapt1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Dodge Nitro SE
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Black
    I've been looking through the threads, and see mostly trail/mudding off roading threads. I live on Long Island and we have a few beaches you can go out on during the summer, and I was wondering how a stock 4x4 Nitro runs in the sand. Does anyone have any experience with this they can share?

Thank You

2. jeff67d

jeff67d Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nitro
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Blackberry Pearl
    Someone ran on sand but dont remember much about it.

Nitto has some wicked sand tires for the 20" rims. The tread pattern is interlocking flames.:FIREdevil:

3. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    The issue with running on the sand is the ESP, BAS, Traction control.
    As a wheel begins to slip the rig will apply brakes to the slipping wheel. If it continues to slip it will automatically decrease the throttle.
    You can see the conundrum here. On sand the tires basically slip all the time. So you have no power and the brakes applied...
    There is an "ESP Off" button below the A/C controls, which does help, but it does not really turn it off. It only ups the thresholds a little.
    Get "The Switch" like I did. Issue solved, but you have to know how to drive in the sand.
    It was watsonmcg who actually has to drive on the beach to get home.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. meder24

meder24 Lighting Guru! NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    I got my Nitro from Florida when I got it. I do not knwo much about its past, but I know there was sand everywhere in the undercarriage and engine bay. So I am assuming it was played with in the sand quite a bit.

5. dhh3

dhh3 The Univalent Radical NOTM Winner! Military

Vehicle:
    2014 Journey Crossroad
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Sunburst Orange
    If you stay away from the soft sand in the dunes, you should be OK, as long as the sand is compacted and slightly damp. Are you talking the Ocean side or the sound side? As a kid, I did this all the time, but back then we did not have all of the electronic goodies that prevent one from having a good time, as Scaro mentioned. If where you are intending to go is soft, I would highly recommend that you modify your Truck with Scaro's Saving Grace! :smileup: :smileup:

:cool:

6. XCapt1

XCapt1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Dodge Nitro SE
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Black
    Thanks Scar0 ... I didn't realize it would take a mod like that for running the beach. I'm not sure it is worth doing the mod for the few times a year I might be able to get out there. ddh3 ... It would be both bay and ocean sides, more so ocean though.

Thanks

7. jeff67d

jeff67d Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nitro
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Blackberry Pearl
    If you don't want to do the mod just open the hood and remove the fuse then have some fun.

8. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    jeff67d is correct. If you do not wheel often and don't mind pulling/installing the fuse each time, then you can go that route.
    It is the J6 fuse (ABS) Pump you need to pull/install.
    Technically you should disconnect the Neg (-) battery cable before pulling/installing the fuse because this fuse is always hot (energized) even with the rig turned off.
    Because it is "Hot" all the time, the brief spark/spike in voltage can cause damage to the system when pulling/installing the fuse.
    You should NEVER pull/install this fuse with the rig running!

Most have not had any issues with just pulling/installing the fuse while the rig is off.
    But there is one case involving an 08+ Libby, when they pulled & installed the fuse, while the rig was "On" (running), which may have caused some damage to the system (Still waiting to hear what the final outcome is on this.).
    Since you have to turn the rig off and restart once the fuse is installed to get things back to normal anyway, why take the chance.

Caution:
    DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    This post/thread and any others related to modifying/repairing your Nitro in any way, are here for informational purposes only.
    It is your sole responsibility to verify the information is correct, accurate, and safe to use.
    What you choose to do with the information is up to you.
    If you are unsure, please consult a professional.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. XCapt1

XCapt1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Dodge Nitro SE
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Black
    Thank you .... I will probably stick with taking the fuse out. With my schedule, I don't think I will get to the beach enough to warrant doing the mod. When I first asked the question, I was thinking the lack of low range would be the issue.

10. louzerz

louzerz New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Color:
    Black
    Dont waste your time doing the mod or removibg the fuse. I drive on the beaches of NJ every weekend through the summer and fall. I never had a problem with the esp or traction control with any sand conditions.

11. dhh3

dhh3 The Univalent Radical NOTM Winner! Military

Vehicle:
    2014 Journey Crossroad
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Sunburst Orange

According to what I hear from the Lame Street Media, I thought all of the beaches in NJ were gone after Sandy! :Banana01::ura1::pepper:

:cool:

12. louzerz

louzerz New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Color:
    Black
    I dont know whats so comical about the beaches being gone.? The beaches took a tremendous hit from sandy but we are rebuilding.

13. Hori

Hori Member

Vehicle:
    Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    As capable as most 4x4 in soft sand for the average joe providing you dont stop , and where i go no matter what they are driving if they stop at the cuttings there not going forward just down

my biggest fear is ripping front bumper off at some of the crossings as like i said u cant slow down or stop

i look at mine and say to myself smaller rims bigger tyres so i can let sum real air out and remove front bumper with bullbar n skid plates ,

then i would be happy :)

till then i just drive on the Beach smart