Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the best way to keep the black molding on the fenders and bumpers nice and shiny and or not so dull looking. I know Armor All works but doesn't seem to last. Any ideas? :cool: What about removing wax from plastic that the dealership left on when they detailed it

·
Registered
601 Posts
Armor All works lasts for me at least until it rains. "Mother's Back to Black" works just as well. Mother's lasts longer than Armor All, but if it rains, you'll still need to wash your Nitro and re-apply it. Hope this helps. As for the wax the dealer left on, I would take it back to them and tell them to get it off!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Does anyone know the best way to keep the black molding on the fenders and bumpers nice and shiny and or not so dull looking. I know Armor All works but doesn't seem to last. Any ideas? :cool: What about removing wax from plastic that the dealership left on when they detailed it
You've come to the right place because I used to own a couple body shops. NitroBilly's advice is good... use "Mothers" Back to Black. Armor All will work fine on the plastic interior although I use Turtle Wax 2001 super protector. Back to Black is made for the outside of a car (also known as trim shine). It will lose some of it's shine as you wash the car but it will actually protect for quite a while. I've found I can do plastic panels just every 2 or 3 months and they look good. Armor All will wash off quickly and never use tire shine on trim... not good at all and very greasy.

Here's something many people don't know though. Products like Armor All aren't really all that good for leather interior. They will shine it up but they actually dry the leather out over time. On leather you should use a leather treatment product made specifically for leather. (Ever seen an old cracked up leather interior... that's Armor All over time)

The wax on the trim isn't a problem. Happens all the time no matter how careful you are. Auto Body supply places sell a special de-waxing fluid to wipe cars down with before they're painted... but any solvent type Bug & Tar Remover will work just fine.

Hope this insight helps...

·
Registered
16 Posts
An E-mail from a friend...

I don't know how legitimate this is but I thought I would pass it on. Let me know what you think. Kind of sounds like the guy in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and his Windex...lol!!! Gman
I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news. He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open. Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that
was on the truck. I'm impressed! WD-40 who knew?

Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop... Voila!
It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

Here are some of the uses:

1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4) Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.
5) Keeps flies off cows.
6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7) Removes lipstick stains.
8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
9) Untangles jewelry chains.
10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
18) It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
20) Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21) Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37) Florida's favorite use is: "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers."
38) The favorite use in the state of New York WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
40) Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42) Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!
43) If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.
P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

--

No virus found in this incoming message.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
What's your opinion on 303 Protectant? I never used it regularly enough on my other vehicles with the black plastic to be able to tell if it would have prevented the fading or not. A coat of anything once every year or so will never work miracles..
303 Protectant is an excellent product. It's actually what I perfer to use on interior plastics & vinyl. I didn't see it last time I bought so I got the Turtle Wax 2001 product. I think it's still more of an interior product though (none of these type products last long on tires or exterior parts) and I'd still use a full leather treatment on the leather. Thanks for reminding me about 303!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
On the WD-40 (didn't want to copy that big list). I can tell you much of what is on that list is true though. In fact as far as removing something really sticky from paint without harming the paint it works wonderfully (it's actually what windshield installers use to get their "black sealant adhesive" off of a cars paint, trim or glass if it gets on it).
I'm not on board about spaying it on floors and they won't be slippery... it's WD-40 lubricant...
I was told by a mechanic WD-40 was a highly diluted kerosene base (maybe it's diluted with fish oil) and an aerosol propellent. I remember thinking how simple that seemed... for how good it works!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
You might laugh at this but an old toothbrush & some peanut butter will take that wax off then just dress it up with mothers BTB. Honest it works.:thk:
I'm not laughing... peanut butter is amazing (it's the combination of the peanut's oil & the mild abrasive effect of crushed peanuts). I've been told it also works for getting chewing gum out of hair and off of carpet. Of course then you have to wash the peanut butter out... but you don't have to cut the hair or the carpet to get the gum out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.