Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will ask my question first then give the backstory after, thanks in advance.

I have been reading posts on here about replacing the blend actuator and still have a question. I konw the blend actuator or door gear is bad because of the clicking from it and by testing it.

My question is regarding celebration. Is it needed if the door position isn't changed when the old one is removed? I have seen other posts that say to adjust the actuator to fit and not the door when reinstalling it, but what about when replacing it with a new one?

Backstory for whoever is interested. We bought it used from a dealership with a "top of the line, bumper to bumper everything but the bumper" warranty... Not a Dodge or Chrysler dealership. Absolute very first time taking it in for the "free" service, I asked about that strange clicking noise. We just returned from a road trip to Yellowstone and it did it there when going from air to heat and we had no heat a few times. Well, not covered they say because that part isn't listed. They knew exactly what it was and told me it was the actuator and said the entire dash would require being removed to replace it. We were told to just not set it all the way on cool or heat so the gear would not turn on the bad spot.

So thinking the entire dash had to be removed we babied it for years. Now the wife has been complaining about the AC not being cold enough lately. So I throw the gauges on it and see it can take a very tiny charge but shouldn't make much of a difference. The AC is ice cold at night when I am able to check it and drive it but she says no go in the heat. I start reading on what it could be and come across a Ford post that sounds almost identical. It turned out to be the blend actuator, cold at night and the hot air during the day. So I looked up the actuator and was a little ticked to find out where it's actually located, but also grateful since I can get to it. Hopefully the actuator is the cause of the warm AC in the daytime. I will change it and see.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,827 Posts
The actuator is external of the HVAC housing. Any actuator removal /reinstall has to be done without the actual blend door location moving. If the blend door in the housing moves during the reinstall, then a dealer will have to calibrate it. Or it could strip out the gears again.
You will know if it is right because you will hear it popping or stalling if it is not. Not to mention it won't close or open the door correctly. IE max cold set, heat coming out... The SM recommends calibration any time one is replaced.

But, here is the twist. If the gear is stripped on the actuator a new actuator should fix it. But, if the gear on the actual door is striped. Then the HVAC housing does have to be removed, opened up and the blend door replaced.

The other thing that needs to be figured out is why the gear stripped in the first place. If the blend door is sticking, then the cause needs to be found and addressed first.
If you try the actuator swap DIY, take lots Pics. They can be very valuable when putting things back in place.

Do the following at your own risk!
Go to harbor freight and buy a set of fluid line close-off clamps ($8).
They look like a C with a flat bar that clamps down on the lower jaw.
Clamp off one/both of the heater hoses in the engine bay by the firewall (not to close or you will pinch the metal tubes going into the cab.).
If everything is cold, you know for sure the blend door is the issue.

Before doing any work on the Nitro, disconnect the Neg (-) battery cable and wait 10 minutes!
This will allow time for the airbag capacitors to discharge.
You don't want to have your airbags go off accidentally.
It has already happened to a few members here...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will ask my question first then give the backstory after, thanks in advance.

I have been reading posts on here about replacing the blend actuator and still have a question. I konw the blend actuator or door gear is bad because of the clicking from it and by testing it.

My question is regarding celebration. Is it needed if the door position isn't changed when the old one is removed? I have seen other posts that say to adjust the actuator to fit and not the door when reinstalling it, but what about when replacing it with a new one?

Backstory for whoever is interested. We bought it used from a dealership with a "top of the line, bumper to bumper everything but the bumper" warranty... Not a Dodge or Chrysler dealership. Absolute very first time taking it in for the "free" service, I asked about that strange clicking noise. We just returned from a road trip to Yellowstone and it did it there when going from air to heat and we had no heat a few times. Well, not covered they say because that part isn't listed. They knew exactly what it was and told me it was the actuator and said the entire dash would require being removed to replace it. We were told to just not set it all the way on cool or heat so the gear would not turn on the bad spot.

So thinking the entire dash had to be removed we babied it for years. Now the wife has been complaining about the AC not being cold enough lately. So I throw the gauges on it and see it can take a very tiny charge but shouldn't make much of a difference. The AC is ice cold at night when I am able to check it and drive it but she says no go in the heat. I start reading on what it could be and come across a Ford post that sounds almost identical. It turned out to be the blend actuator, cold at night and the hot air during the day. So I looked up the actuator and was a little ticked to find out where it's actually located, but also grateful since I can get to it. Hopefully the actuator is the cause of the warm AC in the daytime. I will change it and see.
Tell me what happened with this please...

What happened????

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,827 Posts
Tell me what happened with this please...

What happened????
Good question. The thread starter has not been back on the forum since Jul 17, 2018.

What exactly is the problem you are having?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good question. The thread starter has not been back on the forum since Jul 17, 2018.

What exactly is the problem you are having?
Same old same old with a new tiny twist. The AC has worked poorly for years in 2009 Nitro. I noticed that the heat was slow this winter to actually blow warm air. But eventually would. The evaporator was changed years ago, it has been checked countless times over the years. Dodge mechanics just shrugged it off with a poor undersized units were installed in Nitros. Last summer I was today that it may need a new compressor. By chance, yesterday, I talked with someone that had a Dodge truck who said their actuator was stuck. When I describe how it will suddenly bow warm during the day (never at night) they always think I am nuts. Then I read this post and said wow. I was wondering what his result was since he had same problem. Now that the heat blows cold from time to time, I was really thinking it could be this...

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,827 Posts
The slow heat could be as simple as low coolant. Mine will do this and I know I need to fill the antifreeze.

With the Nitro running, If you look under the dash at the blend actuator, and change the heat setting, you should see the blend door actuator move as well as the little white arm. If all moves smoothly, that would not be the problem.
The OP of this thread had stripped gears, so nothing was moving. The blend door actuator is the one closest to the drivers seat.

If you hear a clicking or popping sound that is a very good indication something is stuck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where do I exactly look for actuator? And turn heat from heat to cool? I hear no clicking but please specify. Thank you!!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,827 Posts
The actuators are on the side of the HVAC housing, forward and between the seats(under the radio).
The blend door (Hot, cold)actuator is on the drivers side and closest to the seat. The other one on the drivers side is the Mode door(Vent, floor, defrost), it it higher up and very close to the firewall. Post #3 here has a drawing. It (blend door)is #12.
Yes change heat setting from hot to cold as you are looking at the actuator and the little white arm behind it. The Nitro has to be running, or at least the key has to be in the "On" position for the doors to move.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Bluedogwalker. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

There is a recirc/fresh air door behind the glove box.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Today, "circulation door closed to outside air and unhooked the actuator" expansion valve sticking and was replaced. Blend door is working....not the ultimate fix, but I live in Southeast Texas and it is blowing colder than it ever has. We are already in the 90s. Oddly, last year, someone quoted a new evaporator coil, wow! Glad I went somewhere else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts