Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some HVAC troubles.

6 weeks ago I replaced my blower motor and blower motor resistor. Worked like new until last week when the new resistor died already. So I got it exchanged and popped the new one in earlier this week. It died again this morning.

I'm thinking my blower motor is drawing too many amps and burning out the resistor.

Parts used -
Scitoo Blower Motor -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074NZXJTL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tamkken resistor -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0827D6GND/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used the above parts hoping to avoid spending $100+ on a Mopar blower motor, but that didn't work out. Any recommended brands other than Mopar that have been successful? Or do I just need to bite it and get the Mopar blower ?
Rock Auto has the Mopar blower , but does not have a Mopar resistor (they have Four Seasons and some others). Amazon does have a Mopar resistor, as well as Dorman etc.

Also wondering if i should replace the resistor wiring harness since the resistor keeps burning out.

Rock Auto parts options attached in images.

Attachments

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,467 Posts
The 2010 blower part # is 68038826AB.
Resister (Module, power, blower motor) 4885482AC
In theory any of the ones that have those #s listed should be the same specs.
Which could mean the problem is elsewhere. But where is the BIG question.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm having similar issue. Replace resistor, then blower motor. Worked for a short period. Now I'm wondering if the problem lies in the control knob. Everything works great except the high level. The slightest tap of the knob and it shuts off. Also will shut off if left on high for a long period. Will be seeing a mechanic tomorrow for some other issues and can post update here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2010 blower part # is 68038826AB.
Resister (Module, power, blower motor) 4885482AC
In theory any of the ones that have those #s listed should be the same specs.
Which could mean the problem is elsewhere. But where is the BIG question.
True they should. But I wonder if maybe just a low quality rogue part is to blame. I doubt I got 2 bad resistors in a row, and both worked for a short time, although one much much shorter than the other. I did try to find the fuse/relay for it but tbh I couldn't figure out which one it was.

Perhaps it might be better to replace them both again, with more reputable parts first, before I start chasing ghosts? I'm not sure how much better the $100-115 Mopar blower is than others, or if it's worth paying more than double many of the other options.

I suppose other options could be a the fuse or relay, or maybe even the switch panel. But when the resistor is working i don't have any issue with speed/temp/vent selection, so I'm not confident that's it.

I'm having similar issue. Replace resistor, then blower motor. Worked for a short period. Now I'm wondering if the problem lies in the control knob. Everything works great except the high level. The slightest tap of the knob and it shuts off. Also will shut off if left on high for a long period. Will be seeing a mechanic tomorrow for some other issues and can post update here.
Good luck with your issue, curious to know how you make out. Definitely sounds like a control panel issue, at least in part, since you mention the tapping. Sometimes those parts can just get loose, & not necessarily be broken.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My issue seems to be fixed and was in the blower switch. I ripped one out of a Sebring in the junkyard and had it put in my faceplate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My issue seems to be fixed and was in the blower switch. I ripped one out of a Sebring in the junkyard and had it put in my faceplate.
Nice, glad to hear it! Hoping mine is not too tedious to figure out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts