Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well back in January after I bought my Nitro R/T I wanted a nav unit so I bought and installed a Magellan 1700 7 inch screen. Here was the original thread.

http://www.nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=36270

Then back in March I ended up buying an Mygig RBZ non nav unit. I wanted the ability to see every thing onscreen and to load music to the hard drive. This was the original thread.

http://www.nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=36752

Then this now brings me to today. A few weeks ago I scored an Mygig 430N RHB on eBay, practically new. So I got around to swapping out the RBZ for the RHB radio. Everything so far is great. Just like the RBZ it started up with a Jeep logo and then switch over to the new Dodge logo. After testing it out (taking it for a spin) and adding all our music, I decided to upgrade the software. I downloaded the upgrade in ISO format and ran the update. Now it's got the new NAV button and the Sirius Travel Link. The Garmin interface is a lot better than the Magellan. It's very fast to type in and search for things. Also I used to have a Mygig RER in another vehicle and so far I like the Garmin version better. I will try to post up some photos soon.:)

Any questions ask away.:smileup:

Reactions: hammy63

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went back, and read your old posts. Thank you for the links. I thought you had the perfect set up, with your GPS at eye level, where it should be on every car, IMHO. After you initially installed your Magellan, I did some research on them, thinking that this might be my choice if my Navus 2 by Mopar ever bites the dust (it is actually a Street Pilot c530, copyright 2008, so it is basically 4 year old technology). I can still up load maps to it from Garmin's site, and my only complaint is that the screen could be bigger. I did have issues with it last fall, and sent it in to Garmin to see if they could fix it. They sent me a new one, with a one year warranty. So, I will stick with Garmin when it is time to replace this one (if ever!). And, after reading your latest post, comparing the Magellan to the Garmin, I will definitely stick with Garmin. Since I like my GPS at eye level, I will look for a wide screen version, and find a mount to attach to the cubby where my Navus 2 is mounted.
What are your plans for your RBZ? If I were to go to a mygig, this is the radio I would choose. However, it appears that your RBZ had the built in Uconnect. I added the external Uconnect module to mine, and I also have Sirius. Went looking for one today. I have to think hard about this, as I am extremely old fashioned when it comes to my music - insert disc, listen to music! How hard is it to load music on to one of these, from a CD? Is it a tedious, time consuming operation, or does it copy the CD high speed? I do not use flash drives, I do not own an ipod - I just listen to CD's - so, this will be a major life altering experience for me if I choose to swap out my radio. Last fall, when I was looking for an RBZ, all leads became a dead end, so I went for a Media Center 230 (6 disc), REQ.

Both the RBZ and RHB use the external ucconect module. The RER and RHR have the module built in. So upgrade would be plug and play for you. It take a few minutes to swap out the radios. I always disconnect the neg on the battery too.

As for putting music on the HD built in is easy. You can insert your CD's and it will copy them to the HD. This way is slower than the USB port but it still works. Once all your music is on the radio, no more swapping CD's. You can search for songs and artists too. The other nice thing about the screen is you can see the info right there. This includes CD's, music on the HD, radio station data, and best of all phone call numbers and names.

I'm planing on saving my RBZ for the time being as a spare. I actually paid less for the RHB than the RBZ, just got real lucky.

Reactions: dhh3

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to add.

The Magellan was nice and fit great up in the cubby. The problem is I did not leave the GPS in the Nitro. So we only used it on a few trips. This becomes a pain in the butt. Now with it built in you always have the GPS where even we are.

I have to say the Garmin is a lot faster and easier to use.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply and great information for me, especially about the Uconnect. :rep: Now, I have to decide if I still want to go through with this. I have seen a couple on ebay - maybe I can get lucky. I understand about having to swap the GPS between vehicles, but I prefer it at eye level - keep my eyes on the road, you know.

:cool:
I understand the eye level thing. The nice thing about the factory nav is guidance voice is through the drivers speakers. So the rest of the music dims and the voice is produced through the drivers speakers. Then the music goes back to normal. Also I noticed I do not have to have the nav screen up to still receive guidance, it will still talk to you.

Since this is my first Garmin I also like the speed limit signs in the lower right. Sometimes you get on a road and forget what the speed limit is, especially in the R/T.:SHOCKED::Racing:

I always watch eBay for RBZ radios and for the past few weeks you can pick one up for under $400 that looks good. I would just look for one with a new build date but not one that requires the antitheft code. Both of mine are the correct dates and part number for the 2011.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the part number for the 2011? There used to be a link to Mopar accessories (under: For Owners) on the Dodge website, but that useful bit of technology is no longer available!

:(
I just made sure it was a high speed unit and paid attention to the build date on the label not date code. I made sure it was a build from December 2010 to April or so of 2011. This atleast makes it roughly the correct production date and revision for our 2011's. I have heard on some other forums that some of the newer models with antitheft some of the buttons are blue back lit. They think it's because it came out of the née Durango.

Also both my radios must have came from a Jeep. Both of them started up with a Jeep logo and wallpaper. But after a few minutes and power cycle it changed to the new Dodge logo with the red stripes. Hope this helps.

I would sell you my RBZ but I want to hang onto it just incase. The price I paid now for both units was less than half price of what the dealer wants.

Now I need to order a new dash cubby to remove the custom mount.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do know that the ones from the new Durango and Grand Cherokee will not fit our Nitro's because the face plate/bolt mounting holes are different. Also, the ones from the VW van (Routan?) that Chrysler builds have red back lighting! Too much information! LOL

:eek:
Your right about the mounting holes. I guess it could be from the newer minivans with the blue dash lights. I know about VW with red but their part numbers are different.

My RBZ unit was part # P05064879AG. The last revision for that year ended is AH from what I understand. My new RHB part number is #P05064829AG.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some photos, sorry for the iPhone quality.:i_rolleyes:

Attachments

Reactions: Ace43

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the Sirius Travel Link and Sirius Forecast a feature of Sirius by itself or a combination with the Garmin Navigation? Did you have these features in your 430 w/o navigation?

:confused:
The Travel Link is only avalible on the navigation unit. It's not avalible on the RBZ radio. I guess it has to do with the fuel prices and movie times. After you look at something you can hit the go to button and it opens the nav to get there. The Travel Link is part of Sirius but a separate charge from the radio program. I think it's $1.99 per month. This radio still has the free trial, who knows how long it will last.

My last radio (RBZ) trial only lasted for a few months.

The new RHB radio did not have the updated software when I received it. I already antisipated that it would not be current and downloaded the update before the radio arrived. I installed the radio and made sure everything worked for about 10 minutes, then installed the update. The update activates the Travel Link plus some minor changes.:)

I used the nav tonight going out to dinner and I have to say it was awesome. It is really fast and easy to use. It re calculates real fast too. Very user friendly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the reply. Now you have my curiosity piqued! I'll let you know what I decide to do. What is the version number of the new software? Is this upgrade also for the RBZ? If I go this route, I'll try and locate an RBZ, run my Navus 2 at eye level until it gives up the ghost, then upgrade to a new wide screen Garmin, to keep it at eye level.
I find it odd that no one else has replied to this post. Very good, useful information here. :rep: Sorry, but I can't give you any more rep at this time - need to spread it around.

The current software is 23.04.41. I believe it works on the RBZ also, but does not make a real difference. This software was put out for the RHB radio to make improvements and enable Sirius Travel Link.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As promised here are some more photos. The first is a picture of the startup screen if you leave the nav on when exiting the Nitro. Then when you return it shows this startup screen instead.

The second photo is of the trip log which is really cool. Since I have never owned a Garmin this is great for me.

The rest is self explanatory.:smileup:

Let me know if anyone has questions.

Attachments

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I nailed a bench tested, factory refurbished, as new appearance, RBZ on ebay last night :ura1: - had a bid on another one since you piqued my interest with your posts, starting last week (thanks, bluer101 for enticing me to spend some $!), and my fingers couldn't type straight last night at midnight (put the decimal point in the wrong place - oops), so I lost the bid by $5 - final bid was $405, but I would have had to pay another $20 shipping. Bid started at $200 - I was the sole bidder until yesterday afternoon. So I got another one - buy it now price $419 - unlock codes included - guaranteed to be plug and play. Lists new for around $1200. So, I did OK, IMHO. +, I got more ebay bucks because they are based on the original starting price, not the final price that one would pay. All ebay listings for the RBZ were at least $400, and some went higher. One picture of the back of one had all of the wires just clipped off, even the antenna cables! Nice hack job in removing the unit. They could have at least removed the connections before they took the picture! :shakehead:
So now I move into the 21st century. :thk: Me, with no ipod, no flash drives, etc. Loading music will be a challenge (?) for me , but time is what I have plenty of these days. Looking forward to doing this!

So, now I need to decide what to do with the Media Center 230 (6 disc with Sirius) that I put in last fall, as well as the original Media Center 130 (single disc with Sirius) that originally came with the truck. This unit is compatible with my external Uconnect module, so I should be all set, and my GPS is still at eye level. YaHoo! Maybe I can start a radio swap shop! :w00t: :w00t:

:smileup: :smileup:

Congrats on the purchase.:smileup:

Just make sure the unlock code works when you get it. I purchased my RBZ unit for $424 with shipping. It was a new pull with the plastic still on the screen.

My new radio RHB Nav was used in new condition. I ended up getting a real score. With shipping $430. It looks brand new.:D

As for loading music onto the Mygig it is easy. If you have some computer experience you should have no problems. The easiest way I do it is with iTunes. I put all our music there from downloads and ripped CD's. Then you can buy a cheap thumb drive for around $10 to transfer you stuff. Also the cool thing is you can play the music directly from the thumb drive too. You can also put custom wallpapers on the screen.

When I was shopping for mine I just paid close to the actual photos and description. I also checked past feedback and previous sales of Mygig's.

For me, I'm going to hang onto both extra radios (RES 130 and RBZ 430) just incase. Down the road I will eBay them.

You will love the Uconnect with the touch screen. It makes it real nice with incoming calls. Please post when you get it. I always disconnected the NEG before each install. If the unit starts up with a different logo give it a few minutes before turning the Nitro off and restart, play with it for a while. Then it should display the correct new Dodge logo on next key cycle.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you man, you are "on it". :rep: I am pretty good computer wise. I was in printing for 25 years, until I hurt my neck. Everything I did on the light table (negatives, positives, cutting ruby, 4C separations, etc.) by hand, I had to learn to do on the Mac, and here I am staring at an HP - go figure!

Can I load directly from a CD? Where would I look for an operators manual, if there is such a thing? I've got the Nitro owner's manual CD loaded in the HP right now, and there is some useful information on it. Is this all that I can expect to get?

You can load directly from a CD, it's just a lot slower. That's why I suggest sit in your house and rip the CD's to your computer, with something like iTunes. Then you can just drag what ever songs you want into a separate folder and put on the thumb drive. In the long run it will make things easier. So start ripping your CD's to your computer now, so when it's installed your all set.:D

Here is a manual:

RBZ/RHB manual

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I forgot to add:

My next adventure is Mygig Lockpick and rearview camera. Ordered a camera today to see how it looks. Trying to make it look factory much as possible.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Where did you find the camera? I do know that Mopar makes a kit for these that plugs into the radio, providing that the radio is camera ready, which mine is. Once I have the radio in my hands, my plan is to take it to the dealer to find the compatible kit. The only ones I see on ebay have a stand alone monitor, and I already have enough stuff to watch! Jury is still out debating the lockpick! LOL.

Where did you find the camera?

Ebay, where else.:rolleyes:

I was going to retrofit a factory camera from Mopar, but they get expensive, $150-$250. Then you have to modify it to fit the Nitro. Then if you are not installing a lockpick you need the dealer to update your vin for the camera to work. Then flash the Nitro's computer from what I have read on other boards.

The problem with that is the Nitro never came with a factory backup camera for the Mygig. So you need to find a dealer willing to do it and not screw it up. So by the time you buy a aftermarket camera for $20-$50 and lockpick for around $200, it's cheaper than factory option. Plus with the lockpick you get a lot more features besides the backup camera. I used to have a version 2 in my Chrysler 300, they are great.:)

I'm going to test hookup the camera to the power outlet and connect the video to the overhead DVD. This is just to see how it looks before I do the install. If it's crap I will look for more.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good to know. Did not even consider all of the StarScan BS - so I think I will follow your lead. How would this camera wire to the radio? Does it come with a model specific harness? I like this camera because of the way that it attaches - I do not like the ones that bolt on top of the license plate.

On another subject, "One small step for mankind, One giant leap for dhh3" - I purchased a 16gb Cruzer Glide :w00t::w00t:! I am now located in the 21st century. My daughter is going to help me get some old CD's on it, then install on the radio. My life is taking a major turn. There is no going back, now!

I am enjoying these posts tremendously. What will be our next project? :thk:

:git:

Our kids will know what to do. :D

I'm in the same boat as you. I hate the look of the aftermarket licence plate cameras. With this camera it look like factory a little from the photo. For $35 you can't go wrong. I'm going to bench test it first to see quality. As for harness hookup to radio is simple with the lockpick.

The camera has a positive negative and a standard yellow RCA male connector. The best way is to run all 3 to the front behind the radio. The lockpick has all the extra wires coming out of the lockpick, just follow the directions for the lockpick connections. Then to connect the lockpick is very simple. Just pull out radio, disconnect both main plugs, insert lock pick harness, then plug the factory harness back in. That simple.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Easy enough. Thank you. Now, where do I get the lock pick?

I've been searching down a different avenue, trying to see if the Mopar kit for the minivans would work. So far, I do know that there is not a Nitro specific kit, so I'm not sure if the minivan camera would fit the Nitro's license plate brow. Now that I know that there is an easy solution to be able to hook this camera to the radio, via lock pick, I will take your lead. Let me know what the camera images look like. If they are good enough for you, they will be good enough for me.

:smileup: :smileup:
As soon as the camera arrives, I will bench test it with the overhead screen to see the quality. I will take some photos too so you can see also. Granted my overhead DVD screen is 10.2 and the Mygig is 6.5 inches, just to get an idea before I do a permanent mount.

Then I will go ahead and order a Lockpick after I have the right camera. If I don't get a camera I like then no Lockpick.:rolleyes:

I bought my Lockpick for the 300 directly from Coastaletech. They are $289, but I'm thinking of buying one from eBay, brand new. I have seen them as low as $195 with free shipping, just have to wait. I'm in no rush.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Media Center 430 (RBZ) arrived today. As you said, plug and play. Installation complete in about 20 minutes. As you said, initially I had a Chrysler Wings Logo, but then it immediately switched to the Dodge Ram's Head. Nice little welcome each time I get into the Nitro. I wonder if updating the software would show the new Red Stripe Logo?

The only issue that I had was with switching over my Sirius account to this radio. It seems that the dealer where it originated still had a some time on the one year free initial subscription! So, unknowingly to me, it was already activated. I finally got them to switch it over to me - cost me $15. My subscription does not expire until December, so, all in all, I am satisfied. :) Sorry for the lint on the screen. My carbon fiber overlay was a tight fit around the top left button, and I had to do a little filing. Fit is now perfect.
The seller on ebay where I purchased is a reseller - either refurbished or dealer take out, bench tested, guaranteed to work, plug and play - no unlock code required. When I called Sirius to activate it, I had to go out and turn the radio on so they could send the signal - immediately hooked to my phone via Uconnect - I did not have to do anything. I was thinking that I would at least have to re-sync via bluetooth, but all was done silently in the back ground. I printed some pages from the manual, so I will soon be off to play! bluer101, thank you very much for giving me the inspiration to do this. I was extremely happy when I upgraded to the Media Center 230, but that was "So Yesterday"! :eek:
Welcome to the real world!

That's great. I forgot to tell you that you do not need to re sync the phone. Remember that you and I have the external Uconnect module. So it stores all the info there and has nothing to do with the radio. All the radio does is give it speakers and buttons. If you installed a RHR or RER Nav, then it would be built in. Then you can have your phonebook downloaded to the radio also.

As for the startup logo, do you know what the date is on the top of the radio? It's not the date code but the Laser date. It should have month, day, and year. Also part # for the radio. Can you find the software version in the menus? If so post that. Both of my touch screens have the new Dodge logo with the red stripes. Maybe yours is an older model.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Nor am I. As I said, I will take your lead. In the meantime, if I get notification that the Mopar kit for the minivan is a go, I will keep you posted on this, also. Just ran into a small problem. Screen will not flip up - I need to file along the bottom edge of the carbon fiber overlay.

At least it's not broken and just the carbon fiber. :smileup:

If you find a mopar camera that works with a little mod, I'm all for the cost even with the Lockpick.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
On the right side of the screen, what wallpaper do you have? The ram head?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.