Dodge Nitro Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
When you have an aftermarket camera and the Lockpick you don't need the reverse wire. The camera positive and negative plus video all connect to the Lockpick wire harness. So when you put the Nitro in reverse the camera will be on. Also the Lockpick will enable the camera on off button on the Mygig.

I wonder how the lock pick picks of the signal from the shifter, that it has moved to "R", to turn on the Camera?

It sounds like you have an early production RBZ radio. That explains the ram logo and different startup logo. The phonebook download is not an option on either of my units. It would be interesting to know the manufacture date on the top of the radio. It will have month, day, and year.

July 14, 2009. More than likely due to the subscription time left on the Initial 1 year trial Subscription to Sirius, it came out of at least a late 2010 or possible early 2011 Chrysler model. The minivans are compatible with the Nitro, at least as far as the radios go. I'm going to assume here that the phone book enable function is a part of the Uconnect module software, and not the radio. This part also worked with my older model Media Center 230, the radio I replaced with my RBZ. Caller ID did display on the old radio, albeit small due to the overall size of the screen.

This will also help when finding the right factory backup camera, it might Jake a difference.

True. This is why I asked them to search for a 2010/2011/2012 kit for the minivan.

This is why I said when I was looking for my radios, I looked for a radio made late 2010 to mid 2011. One this would be the right radio for the 2011 model and anything later you can run into antitheft codes. Also I was reading about left out features on older models that cannot be enabled by software updating.
I was not concerned with the antitheft codes, as the ebay seller stated that they would be included, to ensure that the radio was "plug and play". This must be an internal setting, having something to do with the software, as I did not have to do anything, other than to plug it in and play it! I'm going out on a limb here - but it would make the radio useless to one that stole it, with out the code.
Thanks for the links in your last post. I'll read them, and then respond.

:cool:

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
I just found this.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0802810.pdf

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5388802-RBZ-Radio-Software-Enhancements

Also I wonder if the older RBZ can be updated with the latest software that I used.
Here is the link to the ebay auction page for the v8.5 software upgrade for the RBZ radio. I see the camera part, but I am more concerned with the Caller ID Display. This may also update the logo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110936237166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It appears that your two posts are what this dealer (ebay seller) is explaining on his page, so we are all on the same page here, concerning this upgrade.

I did notice that the Nitro is not on the list, but my radio, coming out of a 2010/2011 Chrysler, more than likely Town and Country minivan, will probably enable me to use this upgrade. Again, I will confirm with the ebay seller when I call.

However, I'm not sure what this means: 5. Using wiTECH clear any DTC's that may have been set in other modules during
software upgrade .

When I call this dealer (ebay seller) today, I will ask for an explanation.

I'll be in touch.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
When I initially purchased my Uconnect Module, it was when I could actually get to the Mopar Store via the "For Owners" tab, on the Dodge website, which doesn't seem to be the case any more. At the time, there were 2 listings: pt # 82211878, listing for $257.00, w/o voice recognition. My dealer discounted the price to $237.82, matching a price an ebay. When I ordered the unit, they were on b/o for about 3 months. When it finally came in, on April 27, 2011, it was pt # 82212159, the unit with voice activation, which listed for $99.00 more. My dealer did not charge me the price difference, and we never did find out why I was sent the wrong unit. But, free upgrade for me! :eek:
I went out and copied all of the information on the label:

PT #: 05064635AG
Date of mfg: 04/26/2011
HW: 13.04
SW: 43.01.30
QD.DI: B016408
FCCID: QWY-BTHFCK3
IC: 6588A-BTHFCK3
2609-050-010-39
M11000647409
UCI1.0
13.6V DC/2, 3A
PEIKER acustic.

I'm not sure if any of these numbers enable me to automatically pull up my phone book every time I get in the car, but it may be worth a look to compare numbers. I'm not sure if it actually stores my phone book, or just accesses it, but it works, so this point is moot! If your numbers do not match, perhaps there is a software update.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Dodge always says clear codes with wiTech if any are stored whendoing electrical upgrades. I would not worry about that. Yes that link fir eBay is the same one I posted. You can download and burn for free instead of paying $29 on eBay. I still wonder if you can use the same update I used, it's for RBZ and RHB radios. I downloaded and installed myself, very easy.

As for the uconnect module mine came factory installed. So mine is located in the right rear quarter panel by the Infinity amp and sub. So I have no idea what version it is. It should be new since my Nitro was built November 2011.

I can voice access the phone book on our iPhones but cannot browse the phonebook via touch screen. See in the older RER that we had you could search the contacts right on screen via touch and voice. Hope this makes sence.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I forgot to say about the reverse with lockpick. Everything in the Nitro runs on a canbus. So the lockpick basically tells the radio and computer that these options are installed. The same thing that if you or the dealer install a camera, VES, or uconnect they would update the computer. The lockpick does this for you, even if the vehicle never came with the option. So somehow the computer tells the mygig that's it's in reverse and changes the screen and input to the camera. The same gies for video in motion. The lockpick blocks the speed from the mygig to thing it's still parked. Sound right?

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Dodge always says clear codes with wiTech if any are stored whendoing electrical upgrades. I would not worry about that. Yes that link fir eBay is the same one I posted. You can download and burn for free instead of paying $29 on eBay. I still wonder if you can use the same update I used, it's for RBZ and RHB radios. I downloaded and installed myself, very easy.

As for the uconnect module mine came factory installed. So mine is located in the right rear quarter panel by the Infinity amp and sub. So I have no idea what version it is. It should be new since my Nitro was built November 2011.

I can voice access the phone book on our iPhones but cannot browse the phonebook via touch screen. See in the older RER that we had you could search the contacts right on screen via touch and voice. Hope this makes sence.
I'll have to wait for a call to see if I get a caller ID. Meanwhile, I'll just go out and play with it!

I forgot to say about the reverse with lockpick. Everything in the Nitro runs on a canbus. So the lockpick basically tells the radio and computer that these options are installed. The same thing that if you or the dealer install a camera, VES, or uconnect they would update the computer. The lockpick does this for you, even if the vehicle never came with the option. So somehow the computer tells the mygig that's it's in reverse and changes the screen and input to the camera. The same gies for video in motion. The lockpick blocks the speed from the mygig to thing it's still parked. Sound right?
Makes perfect sense. The more that I think about this, the more that I hope that the camera you found works. Do not believe that I would ever watch a movie while driving, although my daughter might. The cost of the lock pick almost cancels out the cost of the Mopar kit + StarScan!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'll have to wait for a call to see if I get a caller ID. Meanwhile, I'll just go out and play with it!

Makes perfect sense. The more that I think about this, the more that I hope that the camera you found works. Do not believe that I would ever watch a movie while driving, although my daughter might. The cost of the lock pick almost cancels out the cost of the Mopar kit + StarScan!

That's the best part about the lockpick, saves the dealer trip, cost, and is always easy to remove for sale or warranty work.

Also the lockpick allows up to 4 cameras too. So you can put one up front too, I might be doing this also. As for the camera I ordered, 100% sure any aftermarket camera will work. My main thing is quality and looks.

The lockpick also unlocks the VES mode. So if you ever install a overhead DVD or monitor you can feed it with the Mygig. Not just video out but, you can listen in the rear with headphones a different source than what's coming through the Nitro's speakers. Meaning, you can be listening to FM, and the rear headphones can watch a DVD, SAT,CD, AM, or Hard Drive music, and viseversa. Hope you understand. This is how I had it in my 300 and going to hook up in the Nitro.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
That's the best part about the lockpick, saves the dealer trip, cost, and is always easy to remove for sale or warranty work.

Also the lockpick allows up to 4 cameras too. So you can put one up front too, I might be doing this also. As for the camera I ordered, 100% sure any aftermarket camera will work. My main thing is quality and looks.

The lockpick also unlocks the VES mode. So if you ever install a overhead DVD or monitor you can feed it with the Mygig. Not just video out but, you can listen in the rear with headphones a different source than what's coming through the Nitro's speakers. Meaning, you can be listening to FM, and the rear headphones can watch a DVD, SAT,CD, AM, or Hard Drive music, and viseversa. Hope you understand. This is how I had it in my 300 and going to hook up in the Nitro.
You are stoking me out! I did call the dealer in Cincinnati, and he told me that the upgrade would work on my radio. Also, I have another lead with installing the camera/harness from a GC. The parts guy thinks that one of their techs did a GC kit install on a Nitro - I have a name and number. My only concern is that the camera bolts to the license plate brow and looks some what stock. Did you order that camera?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
You are stoking me out! I did call the dealer in Cincinnati, and he told me that the upgrade would work on my radio. Also, I have another lead with installing the camera/harness from a GC. The parts guy thinks that one of their techs did a GC kit install on a Nitro - I have a name and number. My only concern is that the camera bolts to the license plate brow and looks some what stock. Did you order that camera?

Yes, I ordered the camera the night I posted it. I think it might be here tomorrow. Comes from California.

If that software upgrade will work I will post the link. All you have to do is download it. It is in a iso format. Then I used Imgburn to create it. Just remember to use a CD and not a DVD. I also have a link to the instructions. There are a few questions that come up during the upgrade. It takes about 15 minutes. You need to let it run it's course and don't touch the radio or shut of the Nitro. Only answer the questions when asked. During the upgrade the radio will look and seem frozen, but it's not. Also it will blank out and restart a few times. Just be very patient.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
I can be patient with anything that does not say Microsoft! Just an FYI, Caller ID does work pre-upgrade! When the camera arrives, can you post a picture holding it in it's final position? Thanks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Can you post a link to the camera? Thank you.

This is the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190706018387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This seller has a few others too, but I liked the way it looked, the semi textured black ABS plastic. It looks like the tailgate bar.

I was also looking at this one, the same seller. This is the reverse camera and he sells the same one for front, non mirrored image. If the camera coming is not good I might order these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Mini-CC...567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ca6df20f

Then here are some more I was looking at. Some are from Hong Kong and I don't know about ordering from there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260904188164?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130737773876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251037620217?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200748459351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I know some say they are for another car, but I was looking at the design of the camera. :cool:

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
It appears that all that is needed to install these would be to drill a hole on the bottom of the license plate brow. Then push the camera up into the hole. There is probably a way to adjust the camera angle after it is mounted. My brow is chrome, but all of the Mopar cameras that I have seen are black, so that is a moot point for me. I just went out and looked at the under side of the brow - there is a flat area on the outside of each license plate light that is approx. 2" long (of course with out taking the brow off, I'm not sure if this is a hollow space) - if the camera base (size of the hole needed) is around 1.5" - 2", I guess any one of these would work. But, you have probably figured this out already!
Would I do an ebay search: "mygig lockpick" to find one? I have not even looked, but the more I think about all of this, the more I want to do it this way.

The Mopar kit for the GC includes a new brow with the camera mounted on it - unnecessary expenditure, IMHO!
Thanks for the links. I'll get busy and see what I can find. :thk:

:smileup: :smileup:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
It appears that all that is needed to install these would be to drill a hole on the bottom of the license plate brow. Then push the camera up into the hole. There is probably a way to adjust the camera angle after it is mounted. My brow is chrome, but all of the Mopar cameras that I have seen are black, so that is a moot point for me. I just went out and looked at the under side of the brow - there is a flat area on the outside of each license plate light that is approx. 2" long (of course with out taking the brow off, I'm not sure if this is a hollow space) - if the camera base (size of the hole needed) is around 1.5" - 2", I guess any one of these would work. But, you have probably figured this out already!
Would I do an ebay search: "mygig lockpick" to find one? I have not even looked, but the more I think about all of this, the more I want to do it this way.

The Mopar kit for the GC includes a new brow with the camera mounted on it - unnecessary expenditure, IMHO!
Thanks for the links. I'll get busy and see what I can find. :thk:

:smileup: :smileup:

Yes, I have it all figured out with the camera I ordered. I even made a piece of cardboard to mimic the camera size before ordering to test the fit. I just checked the tracking and it should arrive tomorrow.

Yes, the spot just to the left of the license left light is where I would mount it. This is where most of all Chrysler cameras are located. From the looks of it there is empty space behind it. You still need to remove the interior lift gate trim and remove the brow. I would install the camera off the Nitro and re install the brow and run the wires up through the tailgate gromet. Then fir me down the left side rear, then up to the front. I only choose the left side because you can fish the wires to the jack hole and then to the drivers rear door area. Then I don't have to remove the quarter panel trim.

The size of the camera base is 26mm deep, 31 mm wide and about 20mm tall, or hanging down. It says the mounting hole is 18.5mm wide and includes the drill bit for it. I would do a test on a separate piece of plastic to make sure before messing up the factory brow.

The wire I have seen other forum members run then in the handle hole under the brow.

If you had to go the factory route with factory camera I think you can cut out that same side of the brow. But I don't think it's going to be as neat and clean. I'm very picky about things like that, nothing tacky and unprofessional.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Thank you. This what I came up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180957015520?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

A lot of unnecessary fluff with this one, at least for me. I sent him a long question:

Dear stldkb,

I have a 2011 Doge Nitro. I just installed an RBZ radio, Media Center 430, no Nav; a dealer take out. The system is v 07.02.01 and I plan to purchase the upgrade disc for v 8.5 I just want to install a rear view camera, so I would just need a "basic" lock pick in order to accomplish this, if there is even such an item available from you. Your auction states to ask you a question if I have another need! I do not care about any of the other advertised features. Your Minicam221 camera would be ideal for me - I do not wish to mount the camera on the license plate. In Indiana, none of the plate stickers in the corners can be covered - new law! At this point, the radio is installed and working properly. I have not ordered the upgrade disc yet. I will rely on your expertise to tell me the next step, so I can get a camera installed. I am unaware of any Mopar camera kit for the Nitro. Thank you for reading. Dave

- dhallock3

Hopefully, I'll hear back from him in a day or two.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thank you. This what I came up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180957015520?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

A lot of unnecessary fluff with this one, at least for me. I sent him a long question:

Dear stldkb,

I have a 2011 Doge Nitro. I just installed an RBZ radio, Media Center 430, no Nav; a dealer take out. The system is v 07.02.01 and I plan to purchase the upgrade disc for v 8.5 I just want to install a rear view camera, so I would just need a "basic" lock pick in order to accomplish this, if there is even such an item available from you. Your auction states to ask you a question if I have another need! I do not care about any of the other advertised features. Your Minicam221 camera would be ideal for me - I do not wish to mount the camera on the license plate. In Indiana, none of the plate stickers in the corners can be covered - new law! At this point, the radio is installed and working properly. I have not ordered the upgrade disc yet. I will rely on your expertise to tell me the next step, so I can get a camera installed. I am unaware of any Mopar camera kit for the Nitro. Thank you for reading. Dave

- dhallock3

Hopefully, I'll hear back from him in a day or two.

This is from Coastaletech website:

APPLICATIONS INCLUDE ALL
CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP*
MYGIG RADIO CAPABLE VEHICLES
INCLUDING:

2007-12* (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION) WRANGLER, NITRO,
*AVENGER, SEBRING, AVENGER

2008-12 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY OR DODGE CARAVAN , JEEP COMMANDER,* LIBERTY,* DAKOTA, DURANGO, ASPEN,
300, 300C, PATRIOT, COMPASS
NOW* 2009-10 DODGE JOURNEY with or w/o Nav
CLICK HERE for the New LOCKPICK C8
available for the latest 2011-2013
8" screen systems in Journey, 300, Chargers
*2010-12 CALIBER
*2009-12 DODGE RAM / LARAMIE
2008-10 CHEROKEE, CHARGER, CHALLENGER, 300

ONE INTERFACE FOR ALL VEHICLES!!
AND MYGIG RADIOS INCLUDING:
*REN, RER, RBZ, RHB

The Lockpick works with all versions of Mygig's.

The minicam 221 is Coastaletech's camera.

Basic Lockpick is the new V5 that you posted. It's just that one you posted comes with the bar camera too. That's why I'm trying to find my own camera and then buy only the Lockpick. There is only one Lockpick, it comes with all those features take it or leave it.:smileup:

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
I just came to the same conclusion - the wide spread in prices - the camera, duh!. I'm still going to see how you make out with your camera. You apparently beat the seller in answering my question! Have a great evening.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
I just came to the same conclusion - the wide spread in prices - the camera, duh!. I'm still going to see how you make out with your camera. You apparently beat the seller in answering my question! Have a great evening.

Received an answer this AM:

Dear dhallock3,

Hi Dave,
Unfortunately all the previous or less featured Mygig Lockpicks have been discontinued, the only ones available are this V.5 or the more advanced CHR550. If you are still interested just leave me a note to switch to the minicam. I'm not aware of a Mopar kit either. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks, Dan

- stldkb

I will probably go with V.5 with his Minicam221 camera. :thk: So, the saga continues, but I have an extremely short wish list now. :w00t::w00t: I will still wait on your approval/disapproval of the camera that you have already ordered. Have a great day.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Received an answer this AM:

Dear dhallock3,

Hi Dave,
Unfortunately all the previous or less featured Mygig Lockpicks have been discontinued, the only ones available are this V.5 or the more advanced CHR550. If you are still interested just leave me a note to switch to the minicam. I'm not aware of a Mopar kit either. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks, Dan

- stldkb

I will probably go with V.5 with his Minicam221 camera. :thk: So, the saga continues, but I have an extremely short wish list now. :w00t::w00t: I will still wait on your approval/disapproval of the camera that you have already ordered. Have a great day.

Just got home and the camera was delivered. It looks nice and it's very small. I won't know what it looks like hooked up, maybe tomorrow. To put it in size perspective, it's about the size of a quarter. We will have to see.:rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.