Dodge Nitro Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
That is tiny! Patiently awaiting photo! Curious to see the picture it displays.

:smileup: :smileup:
I won't keep you waiting much. Just had to play with what it would look like mounted. I use the hole beside where it would be mounted to get and idea. I might try the video another day.

First the size and second what it might look like. It is definitely smaller than the factory camera.

Attachments

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Good job - you must have heard me drooling! Now with your brow off, is the space where we were thinking of mounting - either left or right side - hollow on the inside? Does the camera head swivel in its' base, to adjust the view? Which side do you plan on using? I have seen 1 Nitro with a camera, but I can't recall what side it was on.

On that minicam221 description, he refers to lines (distance lines) that can be adjusted to help you line up something. I'd be using mine to hook up a trailer. I wonder if the difference in price is worth having the lines, or if the lines are even necessary. This camera appears to be external mounting, with the two eyes - probably for screws. I'm going to check it out again, to try and get some dimensions.

:cool:

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Came across something quite odd today, concerning caller ID with a droid. Contacts can me stored in 4 different locations: sim card, memory card, gmail account, or directly on T-Mobile's system. In order for the caller ID to display both the caller's number and name, the contact must be stored in my email account! Any other location, and just a phone number is announced and displayed, no mention of a name, so there is no way to know that the caller is a contact unless the name is called out, or I have the number memorized - like that is really going to happen! NOT! The contacts stored directly on T-Mobile are the hardest to deal with - it is much easier to recreate it than to edit! The rest are fairly simple to change, as long as you follow the steps exactly - I ended up with about 1/2 of my contacts duplicated. I have a very stupid smart phone! The upgrade to v8.5 might correct this, but now all of my de-duplicated contacts reside in my gmail account! Gotta love technology.

:loser1:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Good job - you must have heard me drooling! Now with your brow off, is the space where we were thinking of mounting - either left or right side - hollow on the inside? Does the camera head swivel in its' base, to adjust the view? Which side do you plan on using? I have seen 1 Nitro with a camera, but I can't recall what side it was on.

On that minicam221 description, he refers to lines (distance lines) that can be adjusted to help you line up something. I'd be using mine to hook up a trailer. I wonder if the difference in price is worth having the lines, or if the lines are even necessary. This camera appears to be external mounting, with the two eyes - probably for screws. I'm going to check it out again, to try and get some dimensions.

I did not take off the brow. I just used double sided foam tape and put it up in that space and stuck it there. I just wanted to see what it would look like. I do know that it is hollow up there from seeing other members install plate cameras.

As for where I will mount it will be between that open area in the photo and the right side plate light. That's where most Chrysler cars have it, left of plate. The camera is non adjustable. You have to mount it level in the brow and facing backwards.:rolleyes:

This morning I hooked it up inside the Nitro to test the quality. I could not hook it up out the back without a lot of wiring. So i just hooked it to my overhead DVD and gave it power at the accessory plug at the dash. It looks pretty damn good. It's nice and wide and also has the distance lines built in, you cannot disable them. The picture is pretty good for what it is, plus I was looking on almost twice the size screen as the Mygig so it should be even better viewing there. I did noticed that it gets a slight flicker or scan lines on the picture. Not bad to not use it but that might be common with back up cameras. My wife did not see it until I pointed it out. I still don't know how it will do at night, but not expecting miracles. For the $34, it's great so far, is this the one I'm using, I don't no yet. If I did not wan't to try other options I would definitely us it. I might order a few more and try others. Time is on my side.

I think the next thing to do is order the Lockpick and hook it up and run all the wiring to the back and just leave it there. That way I can play and decide what camera route I will take.

I think the mini camera you are looking at you can enable or disable the lines. I just don't like the way that camera looks and the way it mounts for the rear. It would be no problem for the front under the bumper though.

Sorry I took no pictures of the screen, sorry. But it got the wife approval.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Came across something quite odd today, concerning caller ID with a droid. Contacts can me stored in 4 different locations: sim card, memory card, gmail account, or directly on T-Mobile's system. In order for the caller ID to display both the caller's number and name, the contact must be stored in my email account! Any other location, and just a phone number is announced and displayed, no mention of a name, so there is no way to know that the caller is a contact unless the name is called out, or I have the number memorized - like that is really going to happen! NOT! The contacts stored directly on T-Mobile are the hardest to deal with - it is much easier to recreate it than to edit! The rest are fairly simple to change, as long as you follow the steps exactly - I ended up with about 1/2 of my contacts duplicated. I have a very stupid smart phone! The upgrade to v8.5 might correct this, but now all of my de-duplicated contacts reside in my gmail account! Gotta love technology.

:loser1:
We have iPhone 4 and have no problems with caller ID's. I think you should just upgrade the radio with one of the links online, it easy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
How is the sound quality vs. the standard radio? And does the Uconnect with the mic built into the rear view mirror just plug into the radio? My girlfriend has the MyGig w/Nav in her Avenger and I really like it.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
How is the sound quality vs. the standard radio? And does the Uconnect with the mic built into the rear view mirror just plug into the radio? My girlfriend has the MyGig w/Nav in her Avenger and I really like it.
The sound quality of my Media Center 430 (RBZ) is an improvement over my Media Center 230 (6 disc). But, I have also added all of the Kicker upgrade speakers. My next step will be to add an 8" Kicker sub to the stock sub enclosure.

There is a harness that actually does this. Here is a link to one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Chrys...t=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item2321b2b23c&vxp=mtr

But, obviously, you need the microphone mirror, and the mygig unit that you choose has to have a built in Uconnect module.

This is the route that I wanted to take, but I could not locate a harness that would go from the microphone mirror to the external Uconnect module which I installed myself. I ended up using the microphone that came with the kit, sticking it to the roof by my rear view mirror.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Before I upgraded to the RHB 430N, I upgraded from the factory 130 RES to the RBZ. The sound to me was improved from the stock to the RBZ. Then there was no difference from RBZ to the RHB. I also have the factory 8 speaker Infinity plus subwoofer. I like the way it sounds for factory, it's just enough.

Now I see you have a 2011 Nitro. If you already have the factory installed uconnect, then your best NAV radio would be the RHB 430N that I just did. You don't have to do a thing. Just disconnect battery, swap radios, then enjoy. Everything stays the same.

If you choose the new RHR 730N, then you will need the mic mirror jumper cable. Then you will have to remove the right rear interior trim to disconnect the uconnect module. If you don't, the Nitro's computer will get confused with the factory module and the one built I to the NAV.

BTW: the RHB has the Garmin nav and to me it's a lot better than the RHR unit. I used to have the RER (early version of RHR) in another car and it was just ok.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have just the single disk cd player, 8 speakers w/infinity sub. And have the factory Uconnect(mic in the mirror). I'm looking at getting the MyGig, Non-Nav 430 RBZ unit. At about $500.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I have just the single disk cd player, 8 speakers w/infinity sub. And have the factory Uconnect(mic in the mirror). I'm looking at getting the MyGig, Non-Nav 430 RBZ unit. At about $500.
That's what I had when I bought my Nitro. Then I upgraded to the RBZ, used that for about 4 months. Then I just got the RHB and love it.

You can get the RBZ cheaper than $500. I paid less for my RHB than my RBZ. I would do what I did. What ever RBZ you buy try to get one around the production date of your Nitro. It's just that it will have the latest software.

·
Registered
765 Posts
That's what I had when I bought my Nitro. Then I upgraded to the RBZ, used that for about 4 months. Then I just got the RHB and love it.

You can get the RBZ cheaper than $500. I paid less for my RHB than my RBZ. I would do what I did. What ever RBZ you buy try to get one around the production date of your Nitro. It's just that it will have the latest software.
This is the one I'm looking at.I'm trying to get them to go down on the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14083747217...=&sspagename=ADME:X:BOCOR:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
This is where I purchased mine from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-DODGE-CHRYSLER-MYGIG-DVD-MP3-SDARS-SIRIUS-RADIO-HIGH-BUS-RBZ-OEM-FACTORY-/271045715738?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item3f1b95671a&vxp=mtr

If you read the whole auction, they are a dealer take out; they bench test the unit, fix any cosmetic issues and give you the unlock code, guaranteed to be plug and play. The one I purchased was not an auction - just "buy it now" - $419, includes shipping. It was everything they said it was and more. I figured that it was in either a late 2010 or 2011 Town and Country, because when I turned it on, it had the Chrysler wings logo, then immediately switched to the Dodge Ram's Head Logo. There was absolutely nothing on the hard drive (I asked them when they did a bench test if the erased the HD, and was told no), so it had never been used. There were no preset SAT or AM stations - only a couple of FM stations pre-set. I figure it had to be a vehicle used for test drives. It still had time on the one year free trial of Sirius. All in all, I think I got a great deal, and am very happy.

Initially, software version was v07.02.01. I upgraded to v08.05.01. This improved the definition of the screen as well as improved the audio. 2 unnamed modules were upgraded. There is another update - my dealer will do this for me next time I bring it in.

I was bidding on another one - bidding started at $200. I was the only bidder until 2 days before the end of the bid - I had fat fingers and couldn't get the decimal point in the right place! So, I lost it for $5. Went for $405, but buyer had to pay $20 shipping. So, I did not want to go through this again, and just purchased the one that I have. No regrets. Good luck in which ever one that you choose.

I purchased my 6 disc unit from OEM, and they are very fair to deal with. They bench test, etc, but their prices are higher. You just have to do what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Even through I want the best possible price. I do like the free updates and the little warranty it comes with. I'm going to get it from OEM parts. DHH3 I have the same Nav unit you have, except mine's not the Mopar one. I really want that 7in screen.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Even through I want the best possible price. I do like the free updates and the little warranty it comes with. I'm going to get it from OEM parts. DHH3 I have the same Nav unit you have, except mine's not the Mopar one. I really want that 7in screen.
The 7 inch screen was nice, but it was a pain to keep taking it in and out of the Nitro. That's why I upgraded again to the RHB radio and could not be happier.:) I have not decided what I'm going to do with the 7 inch Magellan and pro mount that I installed. I need to order a stock dash cubby so i can take out the mount since I drilled holes in the factory cubby.

I paid $400 for my RHB radio, new pull.:smileup:

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
The Mopar one (Navus 2) is built in to my top cubby, and is hard wired to the fuse box. It is at eye level, where God intended all Nav units to be. I'm still getting used to my RBZ. I find myself "wandering" a little using the soft keys - can't imagine what it would be like for me with the Nav unit down below! Plus, the added benefit of separate units: if one goes bad, I still have the other. The screen is a little small on the nav, but the new ones aren't much bigger. I had an issue with it last fall. I would not turn on. Sent it to Garmin - it was still under warranty, so they sent me a new one. So, I plan to update it, as needed, and keep it until it no longer works.
When I purchased my Media Center 230 from OEM, I went with the extended warranty, and paid 2x what I could get one for on ebay. Never used the warranty! So, if this radio craps out, I'll just get another one.

:smileup: :smileup:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Items showed up today.:D

Lockpick, with harness, and the extension cable for video and power for the backup camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
61 - 80 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.