Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving slowly through a animal safari, when brakes were pressed I would hear a creaking sound, not a squeaking. Sounded like was coming from caliper area. Perhaps some debris got in there? Pads were at 4mm on last inspection and was told I should be good until fall. The creaking sound lasted through the drive of the safari. But once parked for the day was fine on drive home and have not heard since. Is this something I should have inspected? I'm a little anal about seizing my calipers having my wife just done this on her car and having to front that bill $$$.

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,564 Posts
If you are the least bit concerned, then yes, have it inspected. Safety first!

That said, 4 mm thickness is not very thick. The mechanic was right, that it will probably be good until autumn. However, when the pads get down to 4 mm (about 1/8th of an inch), I usually replace them. If you drive in a lot of downtown stop & go traffic like I do, it is just the added peace of mind that the brakes are good.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The sound be could rubber bushings flexing too. If the road was not flat, the sound was weight transfer on bushings. I hear that sound on my '95 SUV all the time. Brakes are all new but rubber bushings are stock and old.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. Haven't heard it since. The roads were pretty flat with some slopes. Upon inspection I am due for rotors and pads on the back. Sound was coming from the front though I thought. Will see what happens after I get those swapped.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep this thread updated id appreciate it i have the same problem but i just replaced my pads and rotors 4 months ago. If thats fixes it then i need to stop driving..lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep this thread updated id appreciate it i have the same problem but i just replaced my pads and rotors 4 months ago. If thats fixes it then i need to stop driving..lol
Lol... Is it a constant problem for you or just happens periodically? Only happened to me once so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lol... Is it a constant problem for you or just happens periodically? Only happened to me once so far.
periodically. It doesnt happen everytime i press the brakes thats what gets me and its not like i stomp on the brake or anything just enough to turn the taillights on will make the sound

1 - 7 of 7 Posts