Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is an actual issue or if it's just a nitro thing. When I brake, it feels very soft and has A LOT of travel. I hate it because I like my brakes stiff and little to no travel. But they have always kinda felt soft. I have bled the brakes to see if there was any air in the lines that could have caused this issue, but it doesn't seem like it changed anything. Does everyone have soft brakes, or is it just me. If there's a way to make them stiffer, please let me know asap. Thanks

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
pretty sure you have air in the system, and here is the procedure for Manual Bleeding of the brakes ( the method is slightly different if you pressure bleed the system).

NEVER at any time pump the brake pedal whilst bleeding the brakes,

fill master cylinder reservoir to maximum level, and keep your eye on it do not let it fall below minimum level, if you do start again.

if you have overhauled the brake calipers, then open the caliper bleed screws, when brake fluid starts to drip from the bleed screw close the screw, until all calipers are closed. ( do not pump the fluid to the caliper ).

then bleed one component at a time in this sequence

master cylinder
junction block
right rear
left rear
right front
left front

use the method with a bleed tube immersed in some brake fluid in a small jar, open bleed screw have a helper press the brake pedal down and whilst the pedal is down close the bleed screw, repeat untill the fluid is clear and air bubble free. then move on to the next component.

do not pump the brake pedal, and do not release the brake pedal untill the bleed screw is closed.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pretty sure you have air in the system, and here is the procedure for Manual Bleeding of the brakes ( the method is slightly different if you pressure bleed the system).

NEVER at any time pump the brake pedal whilst bleeding the brakes,

fill master cylinder reservoir to maximum level, and keep your eye on it do not let it fall below minimum level, if you do start again.

if you have overhauled the brake calipers, then open the caliper bleed screws, when brake fluid starts to drip from the bleed screw close the screw, until all calipers are closed. ( do not pump the fluid to the caliper ).

then bleed one component at a time in this sequence

master cylinder
junction block
right rear
left rear
right front
left front

use the method with a bleed tube immersed in some brake fluid in a small jar, open bleed screw have a helper press the brake pedal down and whilst the pedal is down close the bleed screw, repeat untill the fluid is clear and air bubble free. then move on to the next component.

do not pump the brake pedal, and do not release the brake pedal untill the bleed screw is closed.
Okay thanks you for your help, I'll try that when it gets a little warmer outside.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I flushed my whole system with new fluid and vacuum bled the system. I'm also running ebc pads which I burnished in correctly. The pedal will not get the stiff feeling that you are looking for. I tried to find stainless braided lines but they don't exist. I could make my own but they wouldn't be dot legal and if my nitro was ever in a bad accident and they found that I made my own race lines I'd be in trouble. With our vacuum booster we are actually applying enough line pressure to swell out our rubber brake lines which is why in any power brake car with stock lines you can force the pedal to the floor. Stainless braided lines provide an awesome feel. But on that note if your fluid is more than 3 years old flush it out of there and replace with dot4,super dot4 or dot 5.1. I rec. Getting a little vacuum pump and finishing the bleed with that as it guarantees no air in the system. You need to wrap bleeder threads with Teflon tape to do this.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
My brakes work great. But if I vhange vehicĺes, my first brake application is too hard. Hve to not push as hard or far as the Nitro. And no air in my brake lines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks for that, sound alike a summer project. I'll probably just flush it out completely and have all new stuff put in, same with the power steering too, but that's not really a necessity at the moment.

·
Registered
361 Posts
easiest way to check if you have air in the system is to clamp the flexi hose to each wheel in turn, or if enough clamps in pairs etc, try them all and compare the pedal feel, if the pedal firms up you may have air in the clamped brake.

the nitro has got quite a large servo though so they do tend to feel soft compared with some vehicles.
get in the car 'dont' start the engine and press the brake pedal several times, on off 5 or 6 times you should find the pedal becomes firm and hard to press, ie normal. now press the pedal and hold pressure on quite hard, whilst keeping your foot on pressing hard, start the engine, you should find the pedal goes down more this is the servo assistance coming in.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes and is why the power assist makes it feel soft. I can engage abs on 3 60mph stops before fade takes over and I'm literally holding the pedal to the floor. But yes engine off pedal feel is most important. If the pedal doesn't turn into a brick then you have air. Fact still remains if the fluid is over 3 years old get it out of there. Seems to me most OE fluids degrade very fast in just about every make.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.