Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a designated break-in period that you should keep the speed below a certain level. I've just purchased mine and have been running it at 70-75 mphs back and forth to work.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Actually.... what it says is:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine in
your new vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55
mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration, within the
limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.
Wide open throttle acceleration in low gear can be
detrimental and should be avoided.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealer told me to vary the speed for the first 3000 miles. As in don't drive to Las Vegas with the speed control set @ 70mph the entire trip. They also stated to not change the oil until it reaches 3000 miles.

·
Registered
790 Posts
You can download the manuals here. I don't think the trim package makes a difference.

I drove back to the Spokane area from Kellogg when I bought mine. I just didn't turn on the cruise control for more than a few minutes & varied the speed up & down a lot.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks AirJunky. I plan on getting to Spokane first and visit family and then go to Pullman. After that I hope to have this thing somewhat broken in by the time I take the "fun" drive across 26 to Vantage and then back to Everett. I should remind everyone that this will be my first new car, and I am new to the concept of breaking things in.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I was just browsing through all the threads I can to kill some time here and thought I'd comment and repeat what the dealer told me when I bought my 2009.

When I bought my 2009 Nitro I inquired with the service manger about a break in period and about the 1st oil change asking if I need to change the oil at 500 miles for the 1st change like some other manufacturers or builders recommend in the previous years, meaning in the 90's and early 2000's. His response was the 500 mile 1st oil change is a thing of the past and is no longer required or recommended, as far as the driving different speeds, you still need to do this for a recommended 3,000-5,000 miles to ensure it is done right.

3,000 to 5,000 miles may be a bit of an overkill in my own personal opinion but hey, that is what the service manager told me here at the dealer where I bought my Nitro. As for what the vehicle manual says, I don't know cause I am one of those people that haven't read it. How hard can it be do know how the power door/windows work, the switch for the 4WD and the radio? I know how to check my oil and top off fluids and know what oil to use and the obvious knowledge that is the same recommendation for every other vehicle regarding tire rotate and balance, fluid changes and service. It isn't rocket science to me and I feel I don't need to read or browse through a book to tell me what I already know, it's kinda like having a wife or girlfriend constantly nagging you and since I have the option to deal with that regarding the book, I choose not to and just hear the nagging from the girlfriend! :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I kept mine below 3000rpm for the first 300 miles.
Between 300 and 500 miles it ocasionally saw 4000rpm.

After 500 miles, i would rarely use 5000rpm. Just once or twice a week.
At 1000 miles i gave it an oil change, and then started to hit 5000rpm maybe once a day, by holding in 2nd gear and letting her run up.

By 2000 miles i was hitting 5500rpm maybe twice a day, until now. (8000 miles)
The engine now performs Very well, and revs nicely througout the rev range. Plus i am now seing 24mpg which i think is great for a 3.7.

I have also done the air-box derestriction mod, and drilled out the plate behind the grill. Which has also helped with mid-range performance and torque.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.