Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My requirements:
1. I wanted it to look good, but blend in with the rest of the rig.
2. It needed to be functional. (Protect the lower part of the radiator.)
3. I didn't want to spend a fortune on it. Under $40.
I was able to accomplish all my goals.

ABS Plastic @ $27.80
ABS glue $2.85
Plastic rivets $2.99

This one was a long and tedious process. It was almost as time consuming as my cup holder lights.
I was persistent and went threw 3 preliminary design changes and this is what I came up with.
I started with a 1/8" sheet of Black ABS plastic. (2'X4')
I used ABS for three reasons; it has a fairly low melting point (easy to bend), it is easy to machine, and it has a fairly high resistance to impact fractures.

A couple Pics of the process;
This is the shape I wanted so it would blend in with the rig.

My patterns;

The parts;

The assembly;

And here are the results.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hey Mark...That's an awesome mod....Great work!!!! :rep: As soon as I can!!

·
Registered
16,212 Posts
Bloody Brilliant......What an ending! Mark your the best producer.

Love your suspence thrillers......Almost ran out of popcorn though!:rep:

·
Registered
949 Posts
:rep:
Nice job on that mod!

One of the more advanced lower grilles I have seen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
that is truely a well done MOD....and A much needed one :rep:

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks folks for your kind words and appreciation of my work. :60:

This was one of the more challenging Mods I've done, because of all the angles.
I'm sure it would not take as much time if I had to do it over again. Now that I have my patterns. ;)

:thk: A few things I didn't mention above;
The horizontal slats match the angle of the air-dam, to project the air up and into the radiator.
The vertical slats line up with the vertical slats in the upper grill.
The air-dam and the bumper are now connected, which will stop some of the rattling.
The top of the vertical slats are mounted on the inside of the bumper to keep the look as clean as I could.
All the vertical and horizontal joints are glued together. (Bottom only to keep it clean looking.)
Finally, but certainly not the least, I used push-pin rivets to hold it in place. This makes it easily removed and/or replaced.

FYI with a 2'X4' piece of ABS, there is enough left over to make 2 more grills, if I ever have a need. So the actual cost is substantially less than what I posted above. (About $18 less.)

If anyone wants to see more Pics or is interested in more details, just let me know.

·
Registered
499 Posts
very nuce i am constructing a new one myself when its done i will post. but this is sickkkk

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
very clever, neat and looking good... nothing less of what you can expect from the mod monster! :cool: :smileup:

:rep: later

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again folks.
In my spare time I work... Business is real slow right now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
re did mine. idk if it should be black my girly friend said to keep it chrome lol. 6 bucks with enough to do 10+ left

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Thanks again folks.
In my spare time I work... Business is real slow right now.
Spare time? What's that? Anyway Scar0, very nice job blends well with rest of front end. You are definately the Mod Monster dude you tackle things I wouldn't even think of much less consider doing :SHOCKED: :rep: Sorry guess I gotta spread some around first.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
re did mine. idk if it should be black my girly friend said to keep it chrome lol. 6 bucks with enough to do 10+ left

That turned out real nice.

Totally awesome dude :rep: you could sell those so get busy:chuckle:
Best grill I've seen
Thank you, I thought about that. There is no way I could make them and justify all the labor involved.. Way too much hand sanding and filing. Now if I were set up with a laser or watter jet cutting station, that would be another story. :eek:

Spare time? What's that? Anyway Scar0, very nice job blends well with rest of front end. You are definately the Mod Monster dude you tackle things I wouldn't even think of much less consider doing :SHOCKED: :rep: Sorry guess I gotta spread some around first.
Thanks for the compliment and the Rep attempt. It is the thought that counts.

It is holding up very well so far. I will let you all know how it goes long term.

·
Registered
536 Posts
very nice work as usual!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts