Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 alternators on my Nitro. I am trying to use all 3 alts but wants my 2 extras to be externally regulated. When I hooked up the external regulator it began "fighting" with the ecu and ended up in a hard charge mode until the external regulator was unplugged and it got HOT!

Is there any way to bypass the ecu controlling my alt voltage?

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Man, that is a good question! Maybe something along the lines of a one way trailer battery isolator. Like they use on rigs that tow camper trailers to prevent the camper from draining the tow rigs battery. But it allows the tow rig to charge the trailer battery.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
you seem very knowlegeable about this subject, so i'm sure you know this already.
looking at the wiring diagram, the alternator will not work if disconnected from the PCM (ECU), the PCM is monitering the battery voltage and switching the alternator on and off, even if you changed the alternator for a different type, which bypasses the PCM, then the PCM will throw all kinds of fault codes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.