Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you know I have been searching for a way to tap into the CAN BUS system to get my new Navigation system to work. I have found out that the reason that PAC, Metra, Scoche etc. last years DCX products that interface with the CAN BUS don't work is because the new radios and Interior BUS system runs at a faaster speed. if you would like more info on the CAN BUS system read NitroTech's sticky post.

Anyway... after a ton of searching I found a product made by Fortin from our friends in Canada. They make an entire line of products that interface with the '07 Nitro and its CAN BUS system.

A perfect example is the ability to get the VSS wire from thier CAN VSS product. The VSS stands for Vehicle Speed Sensor... which is needed for aftermarket navigation systems and cruise controls to determine the speed of the vehicle. So any of you planning on installing an Pioneer, Clarion or Kenwood unit your going to need something to get the VSS wire or it won't work.

After all that explanation below are some links to the products from Fortin.

CAN INTERFACES FROM FORTIN:
http://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.com/vehicles/2007/dodge/nitro/#7

INSTALL GUIDE FOR THE CAN VSS:
http://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.c...alid=354&key=810201ae2db6424587251d0ee88ca815

-Lil'

P.S. I can post some more info once I get the unit installed.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Most of you know I have been searching for a way to tap into the CAN BUS system to get my new Navigation system to work. I have found out that the reason that PAC, Metra, Scoche etc. last years DCX products that interface with the CAN BUS don't work is because the new radios and Interior BUS system runs at a faaster speed. if you would like more info on the CAN BUS system read NitroTech's sticky post.

Anyway... after a ton of searching I found a product made by Fortin from our friends in Canada. They make an entire line of products that interface with the '07 Nitro and its CAN BUS system.

A perfect example is the ability to get the VSS wire from thier CAN VSS product. The VSS stands for Vehicle Speed Sensor... which is needed for aftermarket navigation systems and cruise controls to determine the speed of the vehicle. So any of you planning on installing an Pioneer, Clarion or Kenwood unit your going to need something to get the VSS wire or it won't work.

After all that explanation below are some links to the products from Fortin.

CAN INTERFACES FROM FORTIN:
http://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.com/vehicles/2007/dodge/nitro/#7

INSTALL GUIDE FOR THE CAN VSS:
http://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.c...alid=354&key=810201ae2db6424587251d0ee88ca815

-Lil'

P.S. I can post some more info once I get the unit installed.
why not just take the signal from any of the wheel speed sensors. There will be 2 wires one is feed the other is the return that return is the wire you need to tap.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Excellent find lilsalmon! As for the above comment, I wouldn't want to tap into anything on my Nitro, I want nothing but plug n play. I shall be looking to get the Pioneer Avic-Z2, and the VSS is sorely needed!

Thanks LilSalmon!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Excellent find lilsalmon! As for the above comment, I wouldn't want to tap into anything on my Nitro, I want nothing but plug n play. I shall be looking to get the Pioneer Avic-Z2, and the VSS is sorely needed!

Thanks LilSalmon!
Well since i have been doing 12 volt electronics for 22 years and the vss is a isolated input only there is no harm to the car. And most people dont want to pay for the bypasses or they are not available when the new models come out.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking the signal directly from the wheel sensor for the ABS does not work. I have tried it on the Nitro that is why I went in search of an alternative. NitroTech and I have been trying to figure out an alternative source but there is none to be found mainly because of the CAN BUS system.

I received the CAN VSS module last Friday right before I left for a short 4 day vacation. I got it installed during the east coast snowstorm only to be dissapointed that it did not work. I will have an email in to Fortin today and let you know the results.

-Lil'

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick update. I have gone back and forth with Fortin's engineers and I have not been able to get it to work. I am still awaiting a reply from their engineering department. I will keep you posted but to date it does not work.

P.S. I may have another lead though.

-Lil'

G

·
lilsalmon,

Did you ever get this unit working or find an alternative solution? I need to get a VSS signal from my Mustang and I was hoping the Fortin unit would do the trick...

-Scott

·
Registered
332 Posts
Scott,
I did not get it working for my Nitro however I have heard other non-complicated Can-Bus systems can be easily tapped into with their products. What year is the mustang?
Yeah, let me know what you find out. I've used this piece once before on a different vehicle with no problems what so ever. I love Fortin's stuff. They are one of the main reasons I stopped selling Directed Electronics stuff. They've teamed up with Compustar and their bypasses are direct plug and play with Compustar's stuff.

Not too sure if you'd have the same problem but I special ordered one of their CANBUS interfaces for a guy on the net. I shipped it to him and he had a hell of a time getting it to work. Not sure if it was his doing or a miswire of Fortins but when he swapped the data wires around, everything worked like a charm. One thing for sure is to have a GOOD GROUND. If you don't, it may perform erratically.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.