Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Can't Find An Oil Pan For 2011 Nitro And Getting No Help From Dodge

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  DMAXX 
#1 ·
Over a year ago, I was getting my oil changed at my dealer and they stripped my oil pan. They put in a bigger plug but said that's only a temporary fix and the whole thing is gonna need to be replaced. I went to a local mechanic to try and find an oil pan since I didn't want to deal with the dealer after that, and my local mechanic was unable to track down an oil pan. He looked for months but he could never get a solid answer from Dodge as to when one would be in, and he was unable to find one from any local junkyards. My mechanic said he's seen this before and believes they don't even make the part anymore.

Eventually, I went back to the Dodge dealer to see if they could do it. They said they could and put in an order for one. That was back in January. They can't get an answer from Dodge either and have no idea when one is going to show up. They say they're told it "In production" and it always tells them it will arrive at the end of the month but never shows up.

The Dodge dealer was able to change the oil once, but now they're nervous about taking the plug out and not getting it back in.

Has anybody else ever had this problem? What am I supposed to do, just get rid of my Nitro because nobody can find an oil pan for it. This feels rather insane.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
My brother once had this issue with his VW camper, the sump had been plugged with a larger plug, and the VW dealer where worried about removing it, however they had a pump which sucked the old oil out through the filler cap.

if your need to change your oil before you get a new sump, maybe ask a local garage if they have this type of oil pump, and if it is possible to use this method on a Nitro.

just a thought.

Reactions: Scar0
#4 ·
Why not pull an oil pan off of a 3.7L engine in a Jeep Liberty at the salvage yards? Just have to make sure its not stripped before you pull it.

Hopefully you have the 3.7L?

#7 ·
Ah Sorry I did not know what engine you have...
04892228AB is the 2009-2011 4.0 oil pan #.
04892228AA is the 2007-2008 4.0 oil pan #.
Search "4892228AB" at rock auto.
For some unknown reason they have it under "Harmonic Balancer"

You can also try Ebay but search with "dodge 4.0 oil pan"

BTW;
If you could please go to your personal-details and fill in the “Vehicle:” info about your rig. It will be easier for us to answer your questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see at the left of every post I make, under my Ape Avatar;
This is what I drive:
Vehicle:
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Or alternately you could put it in your signature...

#13 ·
Over a year ago, I was getting my oil changed at my dealer and they stripped my oil pan. They put in a bigger plug but said that's only a temporary fix and the whole thing is gonna need to be replaced. I went to a local mechanic to try and find an oil pan since I didn't want to deal with the dealer after that, and my local mechanic was unable to track down an oil pan. He looked for months but he could never get a solid answer from Dodge as to when one would be in, and he was unable to find one from any local junkyards. My mechanic said he's seen this before and believes they don't even make the part anymore.

Eventually, I went back to the Dodge dealer to see if they could do it. They said they could and put in an order for one. That was back in January. They can't get an answer from Dodge either and have no idea when one is going to show up. They say they're told it "In production" and it always tells them it will arrive at the end of the month but never shows up.

The Dodge dealer was able to change the oil once, but now they're nervous about taking the plug out and not getting it back in.

Has anybody else ever had this problem? What am I supposed to do, just get rid of my Nitro because nobody can find an oil pan for it. This feels rather insane.
This as I am to understand is a discontinued item. You can find plenty of the 3.7 L but 4.0 you are out of luck. The did tell me that two dealerships in the country have them. Was quoted 900 dollars to purchase and ship. So right now I am using RTV and it is working but the plug is oversized and the oil will leak without the sealant around it. Good luck. I am also scouring the junk yards and used parts. just can't find the 4.0 L.

#14 ·

Yes Dodge discontinued the part and can't find it any place its my sissys truck and she uses a wheelchair. Both my mechanic and myself are searching frantically for the oil pan. Don't ever go to American Tire in Lancaster, CA they are the ones that screwed it broke it and then tried to put JB weld on it to cover up their damage. If you find one before I do or vice versa please let me know as I'm in california I have not exhausted my resources yet. This female won't give up!

#18 ·

Yep me too! I'm in Michigan

#23 ·

When I was looking for one for my sissy's 2011 Nitro I found that they were discontinued and no replacement part. These are very expensive labor not included. $700 or higher couldn't find not one. Finally, I tried Mopar Canada plenty in stock

#24 ·

The dealership I bought mine from did the same thing. They stripped out my oil pan drain plug twice. I had to get a new oil pan. I found a used one in Austin Texas and it cost me $680. Oil pans for Dodge Nitro 4.0 are extremely difficult to find. You just have to keep looking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.