Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife called and she could not get the trans out of Park. Now, I didn't realize it had the shift interlock, like my Charger. But, I went to the manual and followed the instructions and still could not get it to shift out. The Nitro Is parked on a slight incline and parking brake was not set. I don't know if this is causing a problem or not. I did jack up a rear wheel and call myself taking any strain off of it, but I need some info on how I can get this thing out of Park. Any input appreciated. Thanks, In Advance. Bill

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,683 Posts
The article I've linked for you is in reference to specific year ranged vehicles (not specific to Dodge). That said, it is basically the generic procedure used for all vehicles experiencing this issue. Hope it helps...:)

http://myautomatictransmission.com/DIY-move-stuck-shifter-from-park.htm

Also, if you have an Owner's Manual, I believe there is mention of this issue with instructions to resolve it. I'm not 100% positive on that, but pretty sure I read about it in my own manual (2008).

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Sounds like you are going to have to push or pull it up the hill a little.
This usually happens on a pretty extreme incline.
So if it is a slight incline, that park pawl should not be stuck that bad.
If you have to remove the center console, Disconnect the Neg (-) battery cable first. The main airbag controller is under there. Just in front of the hand brake.

One more thing to add. Do your brake lights work?

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
2,683 Posts
Definitely appreciate the input, on this. I had found the info, in the manual, but didn't help. So, I will go through this info that you provided, Metaldog and see how it comes out. Thanks again, My Friend.
You're welcome. :) Do you have another vehicle that could be used to give the Nitro a slight push (to release the pawl) ?

It's what we DODGE BOYS do... Help each other out when need be.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, I definitely appreciate the input. Here is an update. I still can't get the thing to release, by simply going through that small hole in the top of the console. I did manage to get the top of the console off, carefully. And I have checked brake lights, they are good and I had already jacked the rear up, yesterday, in case the trans was in a bind and that didn't help either. Just a few minutes ago, I tried to work on it again (still in the local grocery store parking lot) and while I went through the steps several times, I looked at the little pink piece on the left side of the shifter, because something told me to move that. While working through that small access hole, I just reached over and moved the pink piece and suddenly the shifter went into neutral. i started it up. Then, I shut it down and put it back in Park and it was locked all over again. So, with the top of the console off and operating through that small hole and then moving the pink piece, I can get the shifter to move and start the motor. But, I still need to know if there is just one piece I can get or is it built into the shifter? Had this problem with my '07 Charger, when O was alot newer to the newer Mopars and the dealer replaced the shifter, to the tune of a bit over $300. So, I am a bit smarter now and looking for the cheapest way out, as money is not in abundance for us. Thanks for all that you all do here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still Scratching My Head, On This One. At first, the shift would not move at all. Now, after trying to unlock the shifter, by going through the proper procedure, I can now ge the shifter to move slightly to the right, but still won't go through the gears, without holding the shifter to the right and, at the same time, move the pink piece back and Them, you can move the shifter into any position, including neutral. Any suggestions, anyone?

·
2,683 Posts
Well, Bill, It sounds to me like your shift interlock latch has failed.

Did a little search and found this for you...

http://www.dodgeproblems.com/trends/stuck-in-park/

And the fix...

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-924-7...04AIHKT2?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top

I would say you'd be OK to do what you did to shift it, and drive it home, so it's not in the store parking lot. Once you get it home, park it and get your part to fix it. I'm willing to bet that the interlock latch IS the problem.

Reactions: Nitrogen and Scar0

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Good work finding the problem. A new interlock switch and or a new spring should cure the problem. I know there was a lot of talk about this on the Charger and Challenger "Z" forums a while back. Most were buying after market because the pink part would break again on the new OEM pink ones. Not a real common issue with the Nitro. I can only remember a couple posts about it over the years.
Google "pink shift interlock switch"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I got it home okay. So, this is basically the same as on my '07 Charger. I feel foolish for not realizing. I have gone through this, with the Charger, 5 years ago and I had to pay to get it fixed, as I was clueless, about the newer cars and things like this. I should be able to handle this, now that I understand what I am dealing with. I Do appreciate the input and all. You folks here, on this forum, have been there, when I needed Help and I am sure for many others as well. Sure helps folks, who need and want to do all they can, themselves. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Good to hear you got it home OK. :cool:
Remember to disconnect the Neg(-) battery before you start work taking the console and shifter out. Leave it disconnected till you are done putting it all back together.
Better safe then sorry...
Can't tell you how many times I have posted the above, and yet we still see folks who pop off their airbags. :eek: Usually it is the side curtain bags, and sometimes the seat belt charges as well. Which will cost $$$$$$$$ to repair it all.:(
Here is a Pic of the SRS controller.
Thanks to voyager72 for the Pic, from this thread. http://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/how-to-park-emergency-brake-drum-adjust-inspect-part-a-b.32777/

·
2,683 Posts
Good deal, Bill. Glad you got the Nitro home! Best of luck on the repair!:)

Be sure to post some pics of your progress, if you can. And keep us posted on your situation. Fingers crossed, that all goes well.

Oh, and Bill... No thanks necessary, my friend. I'm just glad we were able to help.:D

Reactions: Scar0 and Nitrogen

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone know of a video on an actual Nitro Shift interlock repair? Or, maybe another Mopar with maybe the same shifter & Interlock setup?? Most everyone I have come across, is for the Charger/Magnum/Chrysler 300 or Challenger. I would like to at least have a kind of heads up, on taking the shifter apart, far enough, to take care of this problem. I Can see 1 pink piece, on the left forward side of the shifter. Also, Just so I know that we are on the same page, cause I don't remember if I specified or not, but I Can get the Shifter to move to the right, I just can't get it to move to the rear, without manually pushing the little pink piece at the front of the shifter, to the rear and all goes well. but kinda inconvenient to have the top of the console off and have to deal with that, to be able to drive it. Not to mention that, it Is the Wife's Nitro. Ya know?

·
2,683 Posts
That video I posted on the Dorman replacement part is pretty much identical to ALL Chrysler console shifters from 2005+. It should be close enough to give you the scoop on hiw to replace it.
Give me a bit, as I am on my mobile... I will get on my laptop and try to find a more specific video for you. Will post it if I find one.:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, for that. I am just a bit nervous, going into this shifter and hoping nothing jumps out of there, without me knowing where it came from, ya know? I have been looking things over and wondering if I am going to have to pull the console, to work on the shifter or if it is possible to do it all, with the shifter still mounted? Sorry, if I am being a bother. Most of my experiences have been with the older cars and such. I can work on my '69 GTX a lot easier, cause it isn't near as complicated as the Nitro or my '07 Charger R/T. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the shifter out and I can't tell that the pink thing is broken anywhere, but there is no spring attached and I did not see one anywhere, in the area of the console or shifter. After I took the shifter out, I hooked the lead back up, that controls the switch (or whatever you call it and I had to manually release the shifter, to get it to move at all and then I had to move the pink piece, to be able to go through the gears. I wondered if there was a fuse for that, but doesn't appear to be. IF anyone has a wiring diagram, for this, so I can tell for sure where I should get power, I can then determine if the switch is bad or maybe not getting fire from the brake light switch.

·
2,683 Posts
Sorry for the delay, Bill. Life took over for a bit. Grr!

I was unsuccessful in finding a video specific to the Nitro. But I was able to find a diagram of the shift cable removal (2005-2007 Chrysler)

I would think a flat head screw driver is needed to pry out the metal U-clip. The other cable should pop off with gentle prying at the post.
Since, I have not taken this assembly apart yet, I hope this is an accurate diagram. Let me know if this helps, please.

Reactions: Scar0 and Nitrogen
1 - 20 of 67 Posts