Dodge Nitro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,683 Posts
I got the shifter out and I can't tell that the pink thing is broken anywhere, but there is no spring attached and I did not see one anywhere, in the area of the console or shifter. After I took the shifter out, I hooked the lead back up, that controls the switch (or whatever you call it and I had to manually release the shifter, to get it to move at all and then I had to move the pink piece, to be able to go through the gears. I wondered if there was a fuse for that, but doesn't appear to be. IF anyone has a wiring diagram, for this, so I can tell for sure where I should get power, I can then determine if the switch is bad or maybe not getting fire from the brake light switch.
As you see from this image, there is a spring that belongs there. There is also a small hook on the side of the interlock latch (pink part) that the spring attaches to.
Auto part Bumper Machine Electronics
Pink Material property Plastic Magenta

The small hook is usually what breaks.

This is a pic of a unique fix that someone did using a small cotter pin and washer.
Pink Product Magenta Auto part Plastic

Reference the earlier video I posted to open the shift assembly. I'm betting that this is the problem.

Reactions: Scar0 and Nitrogen

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sorry for the delay, Bill. Life took over for a bit. Grr!

I was unsuccessful in finding a video specific to the Nitro. But I was able to find a diagram of the shift cable removal (2005-2007 Chrysler)

I would think a flat head screw driver is needed to pry out the metal U-clip. The other cable should pop off with gentle prying at the post.
Since, I have not taken this assembly apart yet, I hope this is an accurate diagram. Let me know if this helps, please.
I did manage to get the shifter out, finally. Sure, I completely understand about "Life" & Hope I didn't come off as being pushy. Temp here, along with heat index & pure nervousness on my part, didn't help my situation. I Totally appreciate input from folks like you all. Anyway, the photo you posted, is close, but on the '07 Nitro (and I don't know what other years) has that cable housing fitting snug enough, that I just had to get under it on one side, with a smallish flat tip screwdriver and work it up a little, on one side and then on the other side and work back and forth, til it popped out. I WILL try to figure out how I can get some photos on here, that I hope will help someone, in the future. Did have some trouble getting the console off of there. The Zipper tab, on the Parking Brake Boot, was missing and the zipper was a bit stiff. I need to try to figure out which wires to hook voltage to, to see if that switch (seems like a solenoid to me) works or not. And if I determine the switch is good, then maybe the brake light switch has an issue (Though, the brake lights work). The Pink Interlock seems to be okay and nothing broken off, but there was no spring. And Dorman's Website said that particular piece wasn't for the Nitro. I hope someone has the parts needed, as I would hate to have to spend the money for a factory shifter, that would most likely be pricey and my finances are kinda snug right now (But we need this Nitro back on the road ASAP. Anyway, More, When I have it. Thanks for the efforts (I Know you said I didn't have to do that, BUT I was taught to show appreciation, you know?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
As you see from this image, there is a spring that belongs there. There is also a small hook on the side of the interlock latch (pink part) that the spring attaches to.
View attachment 21960 View attachment 21961

The small hook is usually what breaks.

This is a pic of a unique fix that someone did using a small cotter pin and washer.
View attachment 21962

Reference the earlier video I posted to open the shift assembly. I'm betting that this is the problem.
I'll sure give it a shot and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Bill before you start taking things apart, with the ignition ON (enine not running), when you press the brake pedal can you hear the electronic latch RELEASE at the shifter, ( you should hear a clicking sound) ??.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'll sure give it a shot and see what I come up with.
Also, The Interlock piece (Pink) is actually visible on the on the left side, toward the front of the shifter. There isn't much to see, by popping the top off of the shifter. Besides, I haven't figured out how to get the shifter knob off of the shaft anyway. (I know how, on my Charger, but this is different. The Interlock piece looks to have a place for a spring to hook to, but I can't see, for sure, where it would hook.

·
2,683 Posts
Bill, from your description, everything is good. If the pink shift interlock is not broken, and just the spring is missing, I suggest you try finding a spring at a local hardware or auto parts store.
For that matter, your local auto parts store may have the "shift interlock latch" in stock. If you decide to just buy the complete interlock kit (which has the latch and 2 springs), take the original latch (pink part) in with you. You can use it as a visual reference for comparison against the new latch.

In regards to removing the shift knob... Here is a video of a 2008 Liberty (Nitro sister vehicle)...

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes, I did have it to where it would release the shifter, so I could move it to the right, but would not let me move the shift to the rear, unless I manually moved the Pink interlock piece. So, as we are talking about this, I think what I have to do, is figure out where the other end of the spring hooked (on the shifter itself), come up with a suitable spring and get it on there, like it needs to be. One thing that is nagging at me though, is that at first, the shift would not move at all and when I went through that hole on top of the shifter, I got it to release and move over to the side, but not go through the gears (until I saw the pink piece on the side of the shifter and moved it to the rear of the shifter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Whoa! I will be so glad to get this thing back together and functional once again. And I can't thank you enough for the input. And as soon as I can figure out how to get photos on here, I will sure do it and maybe it will help the next person.

·
2,683 Posts
Here's another vid that may help. It explains the removal of shift bezel, knob and shift indicator. Once those are all removed, there are four bolts that hold the shift assembly to the floor board. Once the shift assembly is removed, you can remove the shift assembly cover to inspect the "shift interlock latch". ;)

·
2,683 Posts
Whoa! I will be so glad to get this thing back together and functional once again. And I can't thank you enough for the input. And as soon as I can figure out how to get photos on here, I will sure do it and maybe it will help the next person.
No worries, Bill. Once the job is complete, you will have the satisfaction of saying, "I did that!".

And you will have saved a bunch of money vs. a dealer fix.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Oh I enjoy saving the dealership the time and saving ME the money. Got plenty of other places that I could use the money. LOL! Not looking forward to the day when I have to give up doing work on my own cars. Been doing it, since back in the 1960s, but, as time goes on, things have changed so much, it is getting harder to be able to do some things. But, I make up for that, now and then, like I am trying to do here. ;-)

·
2,683 Posts
Love it, Bill. Great attitude! Keep us posted on your progress. Here to help if you need it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thank you, I have always taken care of issues I could handle, though, as time goes on and cars get more complicated, it gets harder. But, I keep on trying to handle what I can, especially if I find a video on it or can get an assist from a related forum, like here. Also belong to the Charger Forumz (Having an '07 Charger R/T), but haven't been there much, for some time. Sure got a lot of info there too. You have been very helpful and I am hoping to be able to return the good deed too. I am from back in the days when Mopar Fans were outnumbered and hassled by Ford & GM Fans. I stood my ground then and now, things different.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well Folks, last night I Searched through my odds and ends and found a spring that I thought might work and put it on the shifter and was going to try it out this morning, while it is still kinda nice out. So, I got up and opened up my garage and when I went out to open up the Nitro, so I could start on it, I decided to look once again, for the original spring and almost gave up on finding it, when I found the end of the spring that broke off. So, I looked a little more and suddenly found the rest of the spring. So, I can say, that there is no doubt (at least in This case) That the spring broke and not the pink piece. I am still hoping to be able to help others, by posting photos. I have taken some on my cell phone, as I don't really have ay other type of camera. I never found any photos of this, online, just for the Nitro and they would be good to have, because the Nitro shifter isn't as complicated as the others I have seen. If there is anyone I could get their info from, I could text the photos to them and possibly They could post them. Anyway, I will be back, as soon as I can get this back together and check it out. And being Saturday, I sometimes have to stop and take care of other things, so I don't know when I will be back on.

·
2,683 Posts
Awesome job, Bill. Glad you found the problem and solved it. And you save a ton of money for a 10 cent spring!

In the future, if anyone has a "shifter stuck in park" problem, hopefully this thread will help them out.

Oh and an FYI, Bill. When I take photos on my phone that I want to post on here, this i what I do: I first, text the photos to my own email. Then, I open my emails from my laptop and save photos to my computer. Once that's done, I post them to "my media" on the forum. From there, I can upload them into the thread I want. The process is a little drawn out, but it works. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well done finding the cause of the problem, your persistance paid off.
Thank you, I appreciate that. Being "persistent", in relation to me, is tied to my ancestry, you see I have a lot of Dutch, in there and I seem to have picked up being "Hard Headed" from my Dad and His Dad. I don't know that my Granddad ever took his vehicles (Cars and Motorcycles) to a "Dealer" or a Shop, to have work done (and the same with my Dad). And both, my Dad and Granddad, drove Mopars (Plymouths mainly).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Awesome job, Bill. Glad you found the problem and solved it. And you save a ton of money for a 10 cent spring!

In the future, if anyone has a "shifter stuck in park" problem, hopefully this thread will help them out.

Oh and an FYI, Bill. When I take photos on my phone that I want to post on here, this i what I do: I first, text the photos to my own email. Then, I open my emails from my laptop and save photos to my computer. Once that's done, I post them to "my media" on the forum. From there, I can upload them into the thread I want. The process is a little drawn out, but it works. :D
Thank you, I can REALLY relate to the feeling I get, when I can save myself &/or my Family Or Friends Money. I was raised in an environment where, anytime something can be fixed without taking it to a shop or replacing the product (no matter what it is), you fix it. I have Some limitations, but if whatever it is, doesn't overwhelm me, I will be caught trying to go into it, find out why it quit working and fix it. In this case. I finally found the spring that broke and it was a bit stronger than the one I had started to replace it with. So I cut a little off of it, reshaped the end, into a circle and tried it out. The shifter works just fine now and so, I am in the process of putting it back in.

And, thank you, for the info on posting photos. I do a number of things on the computer, but I am no way, computer literate and not totally up on what all can be done on my Cell phone, but I am learning more and more, as time goes on. Thanks again. I will take care of the photos, soon as I get the time and can get it sorted out.

·
2,683 Posts
Thank you, I can REALLY relate to the feeling I get, when I can save myself &/or my Family Or Friends Money. I was raised in an environment where, anytime something can be fixed without taking it to a shop or replacing the product (no matter what it is), you fix it. I have Some limitations, but if whatever it is, doesn't overwhelm me, I will be caught trying to go into it, find out why it quit working and fix it. In this case. I finally found the spring that broke and it was a bit stronger than the one I had started to replace it with. So I cut a little off of it, reshaped the end, into a circle and tried it out. The shifter works just fine now and so, I am in the process of putting it back in.

And, thank you, for the info on posting photos. I do a number of things on the computer, but I am no way, computer literate and not totally up on what all can be done on my Cell phone, but I am learning more and more, as time goes on. Thanks again. I will take care of the photos, soon as I get the time and can get it sorted out.
You are most welcome, Bill. I'm glad we were able to help. :)

I too, am stubborn as a mule when I put my mind to something. I won't give up until the issue is resolved.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts