Dodge Nitro Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,683 Posts
Once you're all done, and up & running again. Kick back and treat yourself to different kind of Red Nitro... ;)

YOU EARNED IT!!

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well, the Nitro is back in it's place on the driveway and keys have been turned back over to my Wife. Mission Accomplished. No offense to the Nitro Crowd, I really like these, but my Heart belongs to my '07 Charger R/T & ,69 Plymouth GTX. We are a Total Mopar Family though and includes the '93 Dakota that was inherited from my Dad. Thank you again, for the Kind Words, Suggestions & the Assist. It ALL Helps. Great Place Here, with Very Nice Folks.

·
2,683 Posts
Good deal, Bill. I too am from a MOPAR family. I have my Nitro, an '88 Dakota & an '01 Cherokee now. But I have a few I wish I still had too... Like my '71 Challenger, '69 Dart GTS, and my '88 Ramcharger. Wish I had never sold 'em. :(

Reactions: Bill Van Pelt

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
WHOOT! Well done on figuring it out.
Just today I "Fixed" my father-in-law's mower. The hole for the reverse drive rod became oblong and it no longer went backwards. Used a small piece of steel to fill the gap. All fixed and working as it did originally.
Nothing as satisfying as finding the problem and fixing it yourself. :cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Once you're all done, and up & running again. Kick back and treat yourself to different kind of Red Nitro... ;)

YOU EARNED IT!!
Never heard of this, what is it?
Good deal, Bill. I too am from a MOPAR family. I have my Nitro, an '88 Dakota & an '01 Cherokee now. But I have a few I wish I still had too... Like my '71 Challenger, '69 Dart GTS, and my '88 Ramcharger. Wish I had never sold 'em. :(
I hear you, on the ones we have had. My 1st car was a '56 Plymouth Savoy. Have also had at different times, 2 1966 Chargers (1st one was a 383/4spd/Sure Grip car & would Love to have it back & 2nd one had the 727 Auto, A/C & such), 2 1969 road runners (I had a Coupe & Met & Married The Owner of a Hdtp model), '76 Volare' road runner, '84 Turismo 2.2, '76 Royal Monaco (Ex Arkansas State Police Car) & Several Grand Caravans. Wish I still had the 4spd '66 Charger & Both road runners) But that is history.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
WHOOT! Well done on figuring it out.
Just today I "Fixed" my father-in-law's mower. The hole for the reverse drive rod became oblong and it no longer went backwards. Used a small piece of steel to fill the gap. All fixed and working as it did originally.
Nothing as satisfying as finding the problem and fixing it yourself. :cool:
I agree, always does make you feel good, to find out what happened and correct the problem. I used to take care of my Mother & Father-In-Laws cars. And, once, my Mother-In-Law's car (a '78 Malibu) would not start, tried to, but wouldn't. I told my Wife to let her know we were coming down that weekend and I would fix her car. Sounded like the timing chain was loose & I was right. Got there on that Friday afternoon, quickly pulled the distributor cap, turned the crankshaft & saw that the distributor shaft didn't turn immediately, went to the parts store, bought a timing chain set and put it in that Saturday. Funny thing is, my Sister-In-Law's Husband bugged me about not having a timing light with me. He was Not Mechanically Inclined & didn't realize that the motor was in time, before the cam chain got loose from wear. He was there, bugging me, when I got it back together and it started up, right on the money and ran beautifully. Besides, I used to set the timing, by ear and would be REAL close. Sorry, had to throw that in there. Thanks for sharing Your experience as well.

·
2,683 Posts
Never heard of this, what is it?

Nitro beer, is beer that is Nitrogenated (N2). Left Hand Brewing Company in Longmont, Colo. first released a bottled nitro version of Milk Stout at the 2011 Great American Beer Festival. The nitro beer takes on a creamy texture with more evenly distributed flavors while CO2 beer is more aggressive on the tongue with a stronger aroma.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
I agree, always does make you feel good, to find out what happened and correct the problem. I used to take care of my Mother & Father-In-Laws cars. And, once, my Mother-In-Law's car (a '78 Malibu) would not start, tried to, but wouldn't. I told my Wife to let her know we were coming down that weekend and I would fix her car. Sounded like the timing chain was loose & I was right. Got there on that Friday afternoon, quickly pulled the distributor cap, turned the crankshaft & saw that the distributor shaft didn't turn immediately, went to the parts store, bought a timing chain set and put it in that Saturday. Funny thing is, my Sister-In-Law's Husband bugged me about not having a timing light with me. He was Not Mechanically Inclined & didn't realize that the motor was in time, before the cam chain got loose from wear. He was there, bugging me, when I got it back together and it started up, right on the money and ran beautifully. Besides, I used to set the timing, by ear and would be REAL close. Sorry, had to throw that in there. Thanks for sharing Your experience as well.
Talk about bringing back the past. LOL I used to time and tune by ear as well. Had an MG Midget, dual carb 4 banger. $200 for a tune up in the late 80's.:eek: Ya right... Used a match book cover to set the points, pulled off both air cleaners and listened to the carbs suction/fuel spray to balance the 2. Rotate the distributor till it had the best no-load RPM jump. Then test drive it. If it was a little slow to accelerate under load, you just advance the timing a hair. All tuned up and off I go.

Have you ever put your thumb over the spark plug hole to find compression stroke? Then used a wood dowel in the spark plug hole to find TDC?
Handy tricks to know if you pull the distributor(the kind with a spiral gear on the bottom) and forget to mark the position it was in, like my next door neighbor did years ago.
It blew his mind that I was able to get it installed in a correct enough location to start it, and then I tuned it by ear. He was like :eek: :D :cool:

You wouldn't happen to have a dwell meter in your tool chest would you? I still do. Just can't bring myself to throw it away...
Ah the good old days.:cool:

·
2,683 Posts
OMG, Scar. You brought back some memories for me with that one. I too have used the thumb over & dowel in the spark plug hole. And yes, I have a dwell meter, Timing light, and an old remote starter (the kind you hooked to the battery and the ignition wire). LOL

I had a '71 Dart that would give me fits when it rained. Moisture would get into the dizzy & foul it up. Had to pop the cap and dry it out. PIA. One day I got so frustrated with it I drilled a weep hole in the side of the cap. That solved the problem.
With that same vehicle, when I did a tune up, I had to loosen the dizzy and tweek it a bit, to get it to run right. It would almost always retard the timing a bit. Eventually, I installed an MSD ignition, and did away with the point distributor.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Talk about bringing back the past. LOL I used to time and tune by ear as well. Had an MG Midget, dual carb 4 banger. $200 for a tune up in the late 80's.:eek: Ya right... Used a match book cover to set the points, pulled off both air cleaners and listened to the carbs suction/fuel spray to balance the 2. Rotate the distributor till it had the best no-load RPM jump. Then test drive it. If it was a little slow to accelerate under load, you just advance the timing a hair. All tuned up and off I go.

Have you ever put your thumb over the spark plug hole to find compression stroke? Then used a wood dowel in the spark plug hole to find TDC?
Handy tricks to know if you pull the distributor(the kind with a spiral gear on the bottom) and forget to mark the position it was in, like my next door neighbor did years ago.
It blew his mind that I was able to get it installed in a correct enough location to start it, and then I tuned it by ear. He was like :eek: :D :cool:

You wouldn't happen to have a dwell meter in your tool chest would you? I still do. Just can't bring myself to throw it away...
Ah the good old days.:cool:
I agree, the Good Old Days. :cool: Yeah, I did all of that, except I never had anything with dual carbs, except motorcycles. But I do still have my Tach & Dwell Meter, Vacuum Gauge, Points & Spark Plug Feeler Gauges. Also have the Remote Starter Button too. What about points files? I have those as well. I even have a Coil Tester as well. Had a timing light and someone ripped it off. On the other side of the thing, I have a Diablo Predator Tuner for my '07 Charger R/T & do things to the Charger, by simply making selections & pushing buttons. More involved to tune up the 440 in my '69 GTX, than it is, with the 5.7 HEMI in the R/T. Ironic. The tuner approach is okay, but sometimes, I just want to get "Into" the Tuning Process, You know? I enjoy "Old School" & New, in different ways. After all, I have to admit, it is cool to be able to change timing and make fuel adjustments, by pushing buttons. LOL :D;)

·
2,683 Posts
I agree with you, Bill. With modern tech & computerized vehicles, even most mechanics now would struggle to get an engine working properly. The "Old School" way is a dying art.
Oh, and my '69 GTS had a 340 Six Pack in it. PIA to time & tune, but when you got those carbs synced... Katie, bar the door!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I agree with you, Bill. With modern tech & computerized vehicles, even most mechanics now would struggle to get an engine working properly. The "Old School" way is a dying art.
Oh, and my '69 GTS had a 340 Six Pack in it. PIA to time & tune, but when you got those carbs synced... Katie, bar the door!!
340 6pack? I'll bet that WAS a Runner alright! Closest I ever got to having a 6 Pack was back in 2010, I got fed up with seeing the V8 S10s & Rangers Strutting Their Stuff and decided to give em something to deal with. Found a '92 Dakota std cab base model truck w/ title, for $300, Called up a fella not far away, who runs a Muscle Car Salvage (he goes out and finds and buys up all he can and had a selection of Mopar Stuff. He and I went through his inventory and I came away with a Steel Cranked 440 that was an easy rebuild (No Ring groove at all) and a 727 Torqueflite that matched up with the 440's steel crank, balance wise & t also was an easy rebuildable piece and connected with another guy online, who had built a 440 powered Dakota. He supplied me with all of the mount pieces & headers to mount the 440/727 as a "Bolt In" process AND I bought an oil pan with the oil pickup tube, had them shipped to him
and he modified them for the Dakota install. With all this being done, the 440 & 727 could be bolted in without concern of the front crossmember clearance issue. I went as far as to order an Edelbrock aluminum
6 Pack intake & set of carbs off of Ebay ANd I was on my way to build a 440 6 Pack Dakota, to give those Fords & Chevys Some trouble. Then, sadly, my situation changed and I wasn't going to be able to do the build. So, I finally managed to sell everything except the headers, mounts, along with brackets, oil pan & pickup tube. I would Love to have been able to have finished that one and Shook up the competition. I considered dropping the 6 pack setup on my GTX, but it finally sold. So my GTX is still running the single Holly. As I look back though, "tuning the 6 Pack" probably would have driven me up the wall! LOL

·
2,683 Posts
That Dakota build sounds awesome! Too bad you couldn't complete it.

I took auto class & metals in high school. We modified a 1981 Plymouth TC3 (Omni O24) fastback (2800 lb. vehicle). Removed the 1.8L 4cyl, & tranny from it. Tubbed out the rear , modified the body frame and K frame. Cut the firewall out & moved it back about 8" to accommodate a 318 (4 bbl. carb) matched to a 904 tranny. Added 22" wide slicks, wheelie bar, and parachutes. That damned thing would about throw you out the back window when you stomped it! We took it out to Indianapolis Raceway Park (local drag strip) and were running mid 8.6 - 9.3 second laps with it. Our top speed in the quarter was 156 MPH (exceptional day), but it usually didn't hit over 148.

Lord, I miss those days! Living on the edge, with out a care or a fear in the world!:D

Reactions: Bill Van Pelt

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
That Dakota build sounds awesome! Too bad you couldn't complete it.

I took auto class & metals in high school. We modified a 1981 Plymouth TC3 (Omni O24) fastback (2800 lb. vehicle). Removed the 1.8L 4cyl, & tranny from it. Tubbed out the rear , modified the body frame and K frame. Cut the firewall out & moved it back about 8" to accommodate a 318 (4 bbl. carb) matched to a 904 tranny. Added 22" wide slicks, wheelie bar, and parachutes. That damned thing would about throw you out the back window when you stomped it! We took it out to Indianapolis Raceway Park (local drag strip) and were running mid 8.6 - 9.3 second laps with it. Our top speed in the quarter was 156 MPH (exceptional day), but it usually didn't hit over 148.

Lord, I miss those days! Living on the edge, with out a care or a fear in the world!:D
I can understand why you miss those days. That sounds Awesome! I would have Loved a class like that. I had Auto Shop in High School, but nothing like that, but maybe it was because I graduated I 1966 and it was in Arkansas. I can tell your feeling about that, because I could feel your excitement in how you worded it. I had a 1984 Turismo 2.2 New with the 110hp 2.2 and I can imagine having modded that one, to take on a Small Block Mopar Motor & Dropped It In There, with sufficient mods to the car. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well folks, Shifter is Still working like it is supposed to. Only problem I am having now, is that I have tried to get the photos on here, so I can show what I ran into and how I fixed it. BUT, I am having issues with my email and can't manage to sent the photos. When ever I can figure that out, I will post them. Sorry about that. Hope you all had a Great Independence Day!!!

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
We appreciate the effort. Looking forward to the Pic once you get things sorted.

·
2,683 Posts
Good deal, Bill. Glad to hear the fix worked!

As far as the pix go, did you use a digital camera or a phone? if a camera, use a card reader and upload the pix that way.;)

41 - 60 of 67 Posts