Can't Trace The Issue

Discussion in '2010 Dodge Nitro' started by Dakota Tolmich, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Dakota Tolmich

Dakota Tolmich New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 dodge nitro
    Color:
    Black
    This has been going on for sometime now so bare with me lots of details.

So I bought my dodge nitro last Feb with 88,000 miles on it from the dealership. Ran fine for awhile then in June we took it to vegas. Got there perfect no issues at all but the 3rd day in on the way to the speedway the check engine light came on and the car started shaking like crazy and Stuttering was hard to make it go over 35 mph. So we hit the autozone they plugged it in told me failed fuel injector. Could not do it in vegas with not having tools or a garage but I bought the part anyways just in case we broke down somewhere and couldn't get a hold of the part and also bought fuel injector cleaner and threw that in right away. We were in vegas 2 more days and kept throwing cleaner at it headed back to colorado stuttering stoped but still didnt want to go over 55 mph maybe little rough idle when we would come to stops. Get home problem is over all together no check engine light and running fine figured the injector was clogged and all the fuel injector cleaner broke it up. So I did forget about the problem and never changed that injector.

Fast forward to December 1st (111,000 miles currently). Problem starts up again check engine light comes back on, idling very odd at stops/slight shakes when stopped, feels sluggish like it has a engine brake pulling it down almost. So it's throwing up the same code again for misfire on 2. So we change all spark plugs, check coil packs, and changed the bad injector. Still same code drove about 2 days light went off. Then it would just go back and forth with the light being on for day or 2 then off and back again with the issue persisting aswell. Then it gave me a random code only once for faulty o2 sensor and or catalytic and back again to the standard codes it's been giving me haven't seen that random one again.

Has anyone ever had issues like this before? I just don't understand anymore and I'm not a car type person so I only really know how to do the simple stuff.

2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Welcome to the forum Dakota Tolmich. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
    Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
    That way we can welcome you all proper like.

What engine? What plugs did you use? Did you replace the plug wires also?
    Do you hear a ticking when this happens? Possible rocker arm dropping off?

3. Dakota Tolmich

Dakota Tolmich New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 dodge nitro
    Color:
    Black
    3.7 Iridium did not replace the wires the guy helping me said it wasn't needed the looked fine(I trust him he is a VW collector/builder). No ticking and honestly I have no idea what the last thing is

4. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    No iridium or platinum plugs in a 3.7! They only cause problems. Misfires, coil packs burn up, etc.
    Use cheap NGK plugs ZFR6F-11G for the 3.7(these are OEM), changed every 30K miles(see your owners manual). If you don't have one, you can download one for free from Dodge here. https://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

The rocker arms are part of what make the valves open and close, to let air in, and exhaust out, of the cylinder when the engine is running. If a rocker arm "drops off" it will cause a misfire since the corresponding valve will not open.
    Sometimes the rocker arm will bounce back on to the valve stem and the valve will open again(misfire gone), then drop off again(misfire).

With a misfire for that long, odds are things have carboned up as well, and you will most likely need to clean the intake and throttle body. Injector cleaner in the tank is part of that process.(ie. the O2 sensor code)

But first things first, get the right plugs in there.

5. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Sorry for the old link to the owners manual.
    Dodge keeps changing it. Try https://www.mopar.com/dodge/en-us/care/owners-manual.html
    Click the "Select Vehicle" button. Scroll down, select year, and model. Click "Select Vehicle" button again. Then scroll down a little to the "Go To Owners Manual" button on right. Click that and on the left it will have a link for the PDF file. Download and save it.
    Or you can go to the Quick reference guide for links.