Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Ccfl Halo Projector Headlights

9K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  Patrick Lang 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if i share the Halo projector headlights i customized. I fid share the light output i do remember. But i have good news.
The Halo headlights i have now, i broke two retaining clips on the inside that hold the inside in place pretty much. Well since those two clips broke my driver side headlights aims down more than it should and i can't find the same clips anywhere online. So i just purchased a new set of headlights.
Since i'm a eBay member and PayPal member i recieved a 20% off coupon through ebay but only allowed to use it when paying through paypal and only on certain automotive items. So i paid $189.99 for a new set....A lot cheaper than the first set i purchased and kinda messed up :\

I will be posting some updates.
Updates how i re-install the LED pods, LED Demon eyes, how to fix the squared off notch that the projector light throws out, i will be removing the Halos (not a big fan, i just like the projector output) i will be switching from HID to LED H7 bulbs. I'll post a picture of the harness i use and if i have to change it a little.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I would like the LED turn signal ones if they came with switchback LEDS.
But i have a way of doing that with this new set. Only down side is the LED switch back strip/bar that fits in place is roughly $50 for a set/kit.

Reactions: 7UDO
#5 ·
The headlight assemblies I bought are already wired up & ready to go. Completely plug & play. The LED relays are mounted with double-back tape & then plug into the Headlight assembly. Very simple and easy to install. :)

#10 ·
Please, can anybody make for me the photo of the rear side? I'm curious if there is a connection rod to connect the levelling piece that is a must have here.
It seems factory headlights for US/Eu are same, but US mising electric motor piece.

#11 ·
US version is also missing the small bulb, inside the and under the main headlight bulb, the UK guys have. Not sure if all Euro Nitro have those.

#13 ·
No, In Europe the Nitro has electric adjusting headlights, via a button in the cab. From what I understand, Its not really a full auto adjust, but 2 preset settings to allow for loads like towing. Standard height and pointing lower.
Hopefully a Euro owner will chime in on this and correct me if I'm wrong.
I'd love to see Pics of the actual set up if anyone has some they'd like to share.

#14 ·
Exactly as Scar0 said.
I might post pictures if interested. Next to seat heating button is a headlight adjusting button that allows you 3 steps of lowering the headloghts aimpoint to protect opposite direction drivers. 1st is usually normal, 2nd for heavy passengers on rear seats. 3rd full trunk + trailer.
Screw hole is there too, but it is for zeoring them.
UK and EU are aligned and same from requirements pont of view.
W5w small bulb is called parking light. For example BMW got angel eyes approved as parking bulb.
As private you can't get such approval ,however as Nitro is US car and uncommon here, Police wouldn't question halo's used instead parking bulb, because they can't refer to factory setup.
For Hid/Xenon it is impossible to legally retrofit. Autolevelling is must have and headlights washers is must have. So of police notices 5000kelvin light and cant find washer nozzle they just ask you to open the hood - they notice 3rd party device and you're done.
CZ - ticket at least.
GERMANY - ticked and disallowed to continue - remove and put approved bulbs immediately or tow service back.(happened to friend of mine $300 ticket and back by tran to return with approved headlights - he modified them too much on his car so the H4 didn't fit there anymore)

Too many typo's I'm on mobile phone. Sorry.

Reactions: Scar0
#15 ·
I was close.. So it has 3 preset positions. Cool to know.
Thanks lt.kubosh

Its funny the terminology here to there. Over here what we call park lights, are under the headlight (part of turn signal, but dimmer and constantly "on" in any exterior light "on" setting on the stalk) and rear lamps "on" with headlights "off".

Sorry for jacking your thread Patrick.
Looking forward to your Pics of the project.

#19 ·
Really interested to see the outcome of whether these are legal in the UK. Glad to know they can be purchased for that price. Last time I looked I found them in the US for near £500 Inc shipping and only slightly cheaper from Germany..

#20 ·
Cold cathode fluorescent lamp (CCFL) is what is in the Halo headlights. Mine also have LED turn signals with load resitors and CCFL balasts already installed from the manufacturer. The wiring on mine were all direct plug in with no modifications other than the Halo's themselves. The Halo's in mine had separate (+/-) wiring that you tap into the desired source/function. A lot of folks tie them into the marker/parking lights. I ran mine directly to a dash switch, so I can use them when I want. I use them as DRL's quite a bit.

#21 ·
Sorry to piggy back on this thread, but I didn't think we needed another halo light thread on here. I really like the look of the halo headlights and I was wondering if you guys feel that going with a "brand name" (see: more expensive) halo headlight assembly is a necessity? They all look the same to me.

I found these on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201949668755

I've never heard of the brand, but I also wonder that, if they are not an "authorized dealer", they might have to label it as a different brand.

I also found a set of Spyder fog lights - https://www.ebay.com/itm/302199784047
I hope I can just replace my stock fog lights with these without having to install a new switch.

So is this an instance where you get what you pay for or are they all the same?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Chris

#22 ·
Hey Chris! FYI... The Ebay listing with OEMassive... Those lights are the same ones I have. Made by Spyder. Great lights! You won't be disappointed. The only significant difference from other makers (such as ANZO), is that the internal headlight bezels on ANZO are chromed, whereas they are not chromed on the Spyder lights. I chose to go with Spyder because I don't care for chrome.

Reactions: Scar0 and CDB
#23 ·
Metaldog - Thanks for the quick reply. That's why I love this site.

I don't like the chrome look either. That's why one of my other summer projects is going to be replacing the chrome grille with one that matches the paint. If I can save money on the lights, I can buy a pre-painted one from a OEM online source. I tried sanding and painting a chrome grille on my 01 Dakota years ago & it looked good for a week. Then it started chipping. Rather not try that again.

I thought they might be the same, but at that price, I wasn't sure. I really hope it doesn't end up a bait & switch, but those are the chances you take on ebay. I think I might just have to buy them this weekend. Assuming the wife doesn't give me too much s**t about it. Btw, did yours come with instructions? The listing says no, but their other listings, without the taillights included, say yes.

What do you think of those fog lights I'm looking at? I saw on another thread you warn a poster that the stock fogs are 4", but the listing doesn't give a size. They just say direct fit. They should just be plug & play, right? I don't want to have to install a new switch on my dash & I'd like to keep the function on the light stalk.

#24 ·
@CDB (Chris)... First, I can assure you that OEMassive is legit. They have great customer service, and will answer any questions you call them with. I know this from first hand experience. Years ago, I was into the 'ricer' scene for a couple of years with a highly modified '94 Acura Integra. Fast little bitch! Can I say that here?! Topped out the quarter mile at 122 MPH @ just over 12 seconds. Yet, I digress... Anyway... A lot of the import guys bought their lights from OEMassive and NOPI. Which is why I went with NOPI. NOPI's customer service & shipping is top notch!

Secondly, I read the write-up on those Spyder fogs. It says it comes with a switch, so I'm not sure if it is direct plug in. My guess is probably not. Give OEMassive a call before you order them and ask questions. I'm sure that someone there knows the answers.

When I do the fogs conversion, I plan to get the jeep lights. But they need direct plug-in load resistors to work properly. Here are links to the lights & the load resistors:

https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Light...20645323&sr=1-4&keywords=cree+led+jeep+lights

https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Resis...rd_wg=3qBts&psc=1&refRID=9NTYQ65KQGG05Q96TMRK

Hope this helps! ;)

#28 ·
have you had any problem with your lights with those load resistors? I've been trying to figure out a way to get rid of the relay harness for mine but the load resistors i have tried with my fog lights never worked

#35 ·
I'll add to the high-jacking of this thread, by saying that I love the look of the projector type headlights for the Nitro. I was amazed at how much it changes the looks of the Nitro's I have seen them installed in. My question is about installing HID lamps into projector type headlight housings. There is an OEMassive listing on eBay for just such a installation, that I am considering buying, but wanted to check here first, to see if anyone had any warnings about such an idea. I thought that I had read in the past that putting HID bulbs into projector type housings was a bad idea, but can't remember the reasons. Here is the listing on eBay for the OEMassive HID projector headlights for the Nitro:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-2007-2...m=202568947641&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

#37 ·
I'll add to the high-jacking of this thread, by saying that I love the look of the projector type headlights for the Nitro. I was amazed at how much it changes the looks of the Nitro's I have seen them installed in. My question is about installing HID lamps into projector type headlight housings. There is an OEMassive listing on eBay for just such a installation, that I am considering buying, but wanted to check here first, to see if anyone had any warnings about such an idea. I thought that I had read in the past that putting HID bulbs into projector type housings was a bad idea, but can't remember the reasons. Here is the listing on eBay for the OEMassive HID projector headlights for the Nitro:
My guess is the HID in that listing is only the high-beams.

Reactions: Nitrogen
#40 ·
Here is the internal part (reflector) of the projector from when i had HID’s.
You can see the heat from the HID’s started to discolor it, pretty sure that its suppose to be a more chrome shiny color and not dull

Attachments

#41 ·
As Patrick said for high beams, problem is delay to ignite the HID spark - only acceptable version of HID high beams is based on dual fillament bulbs replacements (H4 etc. ) because the low/high switching is realized through focus change donee by solenoid.

Separate HID bulb for high beam will render your light horn unusable.

Patrick - I'm surprised by the heat issue, I'd say typical HID is 35W will produce less heat than 55/60 W halogen. Wouldn't you blame UVA+UVB instead?

Reactions: Nitrogen
#42 ·
I believe i had 55W 6000k HID’s, 55W burns a little hotter which makes a brighter light output. But i had a friend who changed his Halogen bulbs out with 35W HID’s in his projectors and had the same issue. He runs LED’s now in his new headlights.
His car is a Hyundai Sonata though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.