Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.8d SXT inferno red 88500miles
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2009 2.8d SXT wouldn't unlock this morning on the remote other than the tailgate door! So we had to climb in through there to start the car!

We noticed the rear RH door never unlocked on the remote when we purchased it privately, but now the remaining doors won't unlock!

We have taken it into a garage who couldn't see any faults on electrical diagnosis, but as Dodge isn't sold here in the UK, there is very little resource to give technicians what they need!

Could anyone supply us and our technician with a wiring diagram for the Central Locking System so he can see if there is a fault with the wiring somewhere!?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome also!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
hold tight i will see what i can find, i had door lock issues on my Nitro back in 2013 when i bought it, we managed to fix them, although my issues where a little different to yours (none of my locks worked), i need to update my brain on the door lock workings, Do you have any other electrical issues (Any) ?,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hold tight i will see what i can find, i had door lock issues on my Nitro back in 2013 when i bought it, we managed to fix them, although my issues where a little different to yours (none of my locks worked), i need to update my brain on the door lock workings, Do you have any other electrical issues (Any) ?,
Thanks for the reply. Touch wood there are no other electrical issues that we know of yet but we have spent a fair bit of money on this truck since January.
When we got this Nitro the rear drivers side door never unlocked remotely, but the dealer made us aware of this before purchase. Not sure if the faulty mechanism or wiring to that lock may be causing the others to fail.
the technician at our work said he could do with a wiring diagram to see if it’s a fault with the wiring but needs to understand where the wires go first before ripping the car apart to find it himself. Hence the request on the forum.
Sadly we don’t have dodge dealerships here in the uk so it’s hard to find anyone that knows how to work on them and to get the right parts!
This is our third Nitro and all have had a few things go wrong so we’ve always allowed £1000 extra in our purchase budget to rectify things. Sadly this one has cost us almost double that so far!
The ABS speed sensor stopped working which affected the cruise control and for some reason the rear parking sensors!? (Go figure!) then the EML came on as it was really laboured at start up, turned out to be a faulty crank sensor which we replaced. It’s a little better now but still not perfect, could probably do with new glow plugs too.
We replaced all discs and pads as heavily worn and three brake callipers were heavily corroded.
New tailgate as the original was pretty rusty around the licence plate and lastly new wheel spigot rings as the old ones were broken and the wheels were not properly central on the hub so had a terrible vibration at certain speeds.
The truck is running a lot better now though! Still love Nitros!
All other issues are cosmetic which we aren’t so worried about. The chassis and underside of the car is showing a lot of surface corrosion so that’s the next job for the summer months. A very labour intensive job to grind away the surface rust and retreat/reproof it all!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
not sure you will find an easy fix unless you are very lucky, so many things it could be,
i know there are no longer any Dodge garages, but Jeep garages have the equipment to work on most Dodges, also Fiat are supposed to have taken over the serviceing and parts for Dodge,

one faulty lock should not effect other locks (normaly), when you lock or unlock the doors a message is sent over the vehicles CAN BUS (computer data line) then the TIPM sends power to the selected components, a few common places to look are:
the ground point for the door locks is under the drivers seat check its clean tight and not corroded, tailgate ground is not connected to this ground that could be why the tailgate unlocked,
because you had a rear door not unlocking and the rest where ok i would check the wiring harness where it goes from the A-pillar across to the door (in the door hinge area) broken wires have been found in this area,
could simply be a sticking locking mechanism (this is what i would of suspected but not now all the door locks are failing),

do the door locks work from the drivers door master switch ?, also check that the front and rear screen washers are working, they can be linked to faulty door locks,

Reactions: ShinobiOne

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for your advice.. I will go through this with my technician at work when my wife next books the truck in! Fingers crossed! If not we will try our local jeep repairer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2009 2.8d SXT wouldn't unlock this morning on the remote other than the tailgate door! So we had to climb in through there to start the car!

We noticed the rear RH door never unlocked on the remote when we purchased it privately, but now the remaining doors won't unlock!

We have taken it into a garage who couldn't see any faults on electrical diagnosis, but as Dodge isn't sold here in the UK, there is very little resource to give technicians what they need!

Could anyone supply us and our technician with a wiring diagram for the Central Locking System so he can see if there is a fault with the wiring somewhere!?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome also!
Hello.

Sorry to refloat this post, but I recently bought a Dogde Nitro with a problem similar to this with the central locking. I hope someone can help me, because on Monday I am going to go to an official dealer and I am afraid that they will tell me that my failure is very big.

When I press the remote control once the driver's door is unlocked. This is correct.

When I press twice, the passenger door is unlocked, but the rest of the doors remain closed ... I have to press one or even two more times to open the door behind the passenger and the boot lid. The door behind the driver does not open in any case ... Only manually with the interior handle.
It seems that the motor in the gate and behind the passenger had no power and the motor behind the driver was faulty ... but it is rare that all this happens at the same time.

The rest of electronic issues seem to work well throughout the car (alarm, electric windows, air conditioning, engine, etc).

Please can someone help me or give me some advice with this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts