Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in April when I replaced my rotors and pads I bought the Duralast Ceramic's. Now It just seems like when their cold they make a chirping sound when I get on the brakes hard Almost like a clunk ? And when their hot and going down a steep hill they sound like their chewing the rotor's off. But only if I get on them hard . It did it today coming home from work . I put it on the lift tonight and I can't find anything that would be rubbing . The rotor's look fine . Everything is tight too. ??????? I just don't get it ? I'm about ready to call Autozone and ask for a different type of brake pad . I think their Warranted for a year ? I think ?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I may have found the problem with my brakes . The parking brake shoes are rubbing the drum on the drivers side and a little on the passenger side . Not sure what I should do except back off on the adjuster a click or two ? Clean up the springs and try to lubricate the mechanism that pulls the parking brake. The parking brake always did feel like it didn't start to pull till the handle is halfway up . I could use some ideas if anyone has any ?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
i also serviced my brakes the other day, and found 1 of those guide clips missing.
the spring which touches the adjuster, is supposed to, it stops the adjuster from turning whilst driving.
View attachment 10652
brake disc rusted on the outside edge only half the shoes making good contact with the disc
View attachment 10649
disc after sanding the rust away
View attachment 10650
also the park brake mechanism was part seized, as you can see there are 2 pins, 1 of these on both sides stuck solid
View attachment 10651
the lever that passes out the rear, which the park brake cable passes through should move in and out, and also up and down.
i cleaned everything and put a SMALL amount of copper grease on the service areas. its easier to adjust the shoes whilst the brake calliper is of,
then check it once everything is assemeled.
after all this the park brake now works, on the 4th click the brake shoes make contact and on the 6th the park brakes are on, however the way the park brake lever works does not feel like a solid action.
my Nitro did pass it's annual inspection, apart form the rear tyres need to be replaced.:)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine was a little rusted too. I used brake kleen and sprayed everything then sprayed the mechanism with White lithium grease . With the rotor off I engaged the P brake a few times then put it back together. Unfortunately that was not the problem. After driving it again and getting on the brakes hard it just sounds like the front . SO , I broke down and got my Son-in-Law to come over and tell me what he thinks ? He's a certified Diesel Mechanic, works on Buses everyday. It ask him could it be the wheel hubs I replaced in April with the CHEAP hubs I bought off E-Bay . After he looked everything over on the front suspension and couldn't see anything obvious, we went over to the school parking lot and he watched the front wheel as I drove it and hit the brakes HARD coming to a stop. He said the whole wheel shakes as I'm coming to stop. He thinks its the hub too .

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Dang that sucks.

Reactions: Stevenitrosublette

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell me about , I just knew it was bad when I received the hubs from " Detroit Axle " and the box's had Made in China stickers on them . Ugh! Thought they'd last longer then 5 months. Trying to get my money back . We'll see ?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a reply , they will replace it but not refund my money . Now do I want another cheap wheel hub ? IDK

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
That is a hard one to decide. How many times will they replace them for free? LOL

Reactions: Stevenitrosublette

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took off that hub tonight and sure enough the spindle was rubbing the housing. I could see where it was flexing enough to scrap a groove in the back of the spindle plate . You'd never see it without taking off the hub because of the dust plate . Thankfully I kept the old hubs so I picked the one I thought was the best of the two and it's back together . I drove it and everything is fine now . At least till the other one does it. Maybe I'll get lucky ? Fingers x'ed . Hope this post helps the next guy before he decides on buying cheap hubs. Have a great Day!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
It really peeves me off when I hear stories like this.
What ever happened to pride in manufacturing?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly! I used to think China was catching up. But every time I get something from China especially parts like that , I get a chill .Cause its going to fail. Don't be fooled buy the names either . "Detroit Axle" ya right . Like Pittsburg tools ? Huh!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
Way back in the day there was a big push to buy "Made in USA" products.
Japan caught on and named a city Usa (Pronounced as "oosa" [April 1, 1967{April fools!}]),then labeled products "Made in Usa". Note Usa is not all caps.
It was a pretty clever marketing trick. And of course others have followed down that same line.
It's too bad most quality has gone in the toilet and not just from over seas!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.