Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first change oil light came on yesterday at 2821 miles on the odometer, do you think that's a little too soon? My wife's Buick Lucerne goes about 6,000mi before the light goes on.

The dealership changed the oil today, only $9.95, can't go wrong there. When I bought the car my intention was to put Mobil One oil in it, but at less than 3K miles between changes, think I'll just stick with the dino. I watched the tech do the work, gotta be a contortionist to get the filter out! Thanks, Douglas

· Registered
7,632 Posts
funny, my light has never come on :confused:

· Registered
2,249 Posts
The first change oil light came on yesterday at 2821 miles on the odometer................

The dealership changed the oil today..........
I've been told that the "oil change" light is a "duty" based thing, it may come on sooner if you've been driving it harder.

Sounds like the dealership forgot to "reset" the counter though.

Can I assume you do NOT have the fancy EVIC thing (the onboard computer thing)? Does yours just flash "CHANGE OIL" using the odometer display?

If you do NOT have the EVIC, here's how to reset the Oil Change "counter":
* With engine OFF...........
* Turn key ON (but don't start engine)
* Push accelerator pedal to floor 3 times
* Turn key OFF

That should do it. (I've had to do this 2 or 3 times already, and I'm not up to 12,000 yet!!!)

Reactions: Scar0

· Banned
161 Posts
I'm guessing it's just a mileage based thing but it would help me to not be lazy seeing it on the dash every time I got in... 3000 miles is far too early though. ALL my driving is highway. In fact, I live on the highway. j/k :Na_Na_Na_Na:

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nitro friends, just to clear up a couple things, my Nitro only has 2800mi on it, first time for the change oil light, could very well be only on the '08's not available on the '07's. I was concerned about this feature when I bought the car, so I called Chrysler and they faxed me a piece of paper describing the feature; it's duty based and basicly says to throw out milage/time based method of oil change cycles (GM has had this feature for years). I'm a little surprised the light came on so soon, the car my Nitro replaced (General Motors), with my driving habits, the light would usually come on about mid-4,000mi and usually about 4-5 months. Based on this interval, I ran Mobil One oil, figured the cost was worth the value.

One other thing, if folks would visit their profile on this board and add the year of their Nitro, it would help others to know how to respond. There were a great deal of changes made from one model year to the next.

Thanks, Douglas

Reactions: Scar0

· Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
29,175 Posts
One other thing, if folks would visit their profile on this board and add the year of their Nitro, it would help others to know how to respond. There were a great deal of changes made from one model year to the next.

Thanks, Douglas
Soooo true. It is difficult to know how to answer not knowing the year of the rig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.