Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some emergency help from the forumz. I was going to change the front cv axle half shafts on my Nitro and when I went to pull off the right side shaft the entire inside shaft from inside the diff gearbox is coming out with it! I've searched through several forums and I haven't seen this happen before to anyone else!

The really crap part about all this is that the cv half shaft still won't come loose from the internal shaft! Anyone have some advice on how I can fix this? I'm going to upload some pictures of what happened shortly. Does this mean my front diff is toast?

I appreciate any guidance on how to fix this and what other parts I might need to buy.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum donotgoquietly. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Since it is out, you might as well replace the seal in there... Mine started leaking after 7 years. Got to love a Warranty!
The front axle shaft is remove with a slide hammer and should snap back in place. It has a snap ring on it. If the snap ring broke you will have to remove the Diff cover to get it out.
The 1/2 shaft it also held onto the axle shaft with a snap ring. The service manual says to use a pry bar to take it off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nothing to panic about yet.
You just whacked her to hard trying to separate the half shaft. Just remove them together and separate the two on the bench. Definitely replace that seal though while it’s out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had this happen when replacing the cv axles on my 07' this weekend. The half shat was in the original cv pretty good and it took several smacks on the cv to get it off the intermediate shaft. At least the seals were in great shape. Almost looked like they had been replaced before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts