Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone;

I have a 2007 Nitro 4x4. When I go over bumps, I get clunking noise in the rear passenger side. It almost sounds as if the tailgate is loose/open.

I've removed the spare tire, shocks (one at a time, and then I also put new aftermarket ones in), sway bar, driven with the hatch open, took the plastic tailgate liner out, inspected the muffler mounts & heat shields, inspected the slide-out storage tray, removed the license plate/light assembly, removed the jack assembly ... anything I could think of that might be the source of the noise ..... but no luck.

The clunking noise occurs regardless of whether the I hit a bump on the left rear wheel or right ... or both. It doesn't happen when the front wheels hit a bump. It doesn't happen over every bump ... just on the harsher ones. It also seems to be worse when its cold out. The truck otherwise seems to drive properly at all speeds ... nothing odd seems to be happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
eboch

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,564 Posts
Check the rubber body mounts on the chassis. You may have one that is worn out and needs replacing. But if you replace one, you may as well do them all. Almost inevitable that the rest aren't in much better shape.
I had an old Dodge truck that did the same thing years ago. Upon inspection, I found that a body mount bolt had broken, allowing the rubber bushing to fall out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You seem to have checked most things, try radius arm bushes! the nitro is unitary construction so no separate chassis or body mountings.

where the jack fits in the side, remove jack and check nothing has dropped down inside the area below.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Clunk can happen if the shocks have side to side play between the mounting brackets. I had to add washers to make up the space difference of OEM and after market shocks.
Check the trailing arm welds. A long, long time ago one member here had one break on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions ... looks like there's quite a few things I still haven't checked :)

Scar0; are you referring to upper shock mounts or lower ones?

Voyager72; I have checked all the area in/around the jack ... found nothing. I have also sat in the back while my girlfriend drove ... the noise is coming from the passenger side rear ... somewhere in the suspension.

eboch

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Both. Check for play and gap. The Nitro uses metric bolts so make sure the sleeve running through the shock mount fits the bolt. Also make sure they are torqued correctly.

Reactions: Nitrogen
1 - 8 of 8 Posts