Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
my Nitro started chirping when I go on uneven road or driving on cobblestone road. It sounds like 1 day old bird.

Here is video - volume up

It sounds like coming from center of the dashboard close to firewall - deep inside. I removed the top outlet, center console, radio, A-pillar covers and plastic cover covering wipers mechanism in front of the windshield. All things are tight, wires are properly routed, no play anywhere and chirping stayed even during test drive without all trims.

I'm considering to remove passenger airbag in hope to be able to see deeper.

Please, anybody experienced anything similar? That sound drives me nuts!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I get a small chirping sound from my heat blower when the fan is turned on, but it only bothers me if the stereo isn't on.
It will be interesting to see what your noise is. Good luck finding it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is few weeks and I still have no clue where it comes from.

It is humidity/temperature dependent, I'm close to hit the 18wheeler and buy something new.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol, np. I'm afraid if it is not common problem, nobody could help. But I also replaced blower motor with 3rd party, but did only few miles, so no confirmation.

Unfortunately I found I have to change the bearings on the original one, because the spare part from advanceautoparts is perfect example "you get whay you pay for" the squirrel cage is very cheap looking and definitely not optimized accordind to aerodynamic flow and noise.

Again thank you for hint. Is your chirpibg similar to one I posted?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
I had a chirp that sounded like it was under the passenger side dash.
Turned out to be the R front suspension clevis fork bolt rubbing on a washer.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! This might be it. I disassembled almost whole dash w/o success. It souds like the source is behind radio or passenger airbag. Could you, please upload a pic with marking where it was?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
It was the clevis fork bolt (below front shock) where it goes thru the lower "A" arm.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it will be it, a I'll buy you a beer. Don't know how yet, but I'll.

·
Registered
37 Posts
omg , i just removed my dash looking for the sound in the video , i gotta go check this out now , It.Kubosh did it work ?????????

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
omg , i just removed my dash looking for the sound in the video , i gotta go check this out now , It.Kubosh did it work ?????????
Do you have same noise?
Unfortunately not, Scar0's tip was not my case.
However I figured out some symptoms.
If the car is driven in temperatures below 50F there is no noise at all.
If the car is driven in temperatures below 50F for long time and interior heating is on, there is no noise.
If the car is left in underground garage and then taken out to below 50F temperature there is noise for first few miles and then disappears.
If the car is driven in temperatures above 50F, there is noise all the time.

It seems to be ambient temperature dependent and it looks the squeaking part is outside the vehicle.(noise disappears when something cools down by ambient air, but doesn't appear when all trims are warm after long ride)

My car is in repair - all front axle bushings replacement, so I'll report after.

·
Registered
37 Posts
okay , i haven't gotten to temperature yet , but , ive taken out the passenger side air bag and couldn't find anything , removed the top panel by the bottom to the window , and removed the 2 black plastic "sleeves" that covers the duel dash bolts by the windshield ( and left them out because its one less thing to rattle , removed the nav and center panels and the cuby hole on the top middle , and drove around with all this these things removed and still couldn't find it , set the cruise at 40 on a rough Louisiana road ( easy to find ) and proceeded to have someone dig in the dash trying to find the sound , and we couldn't , but we have narrowed the sound down to one area , passenger side airbag , left side , kinda top left corner then straight froward , the only way to describe the sound is imagine a bolt with a washer on it and the bolt isn't tightened up , or somone dropped a screw into the dash vents , im going to pick up a bore scope today and drop it down into the vents to see if there is something in there

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
Spray soapy water on the upper "A" arm bushings inside the pocket. See if the sound goes away. The upper "A" arm bolts also have a flag bolt. Could be the flag is rubbing (under the hood).
Check the spring pads to see if the spring has worn through it.
Front seat mount bolts maybe.
That's all I got for now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I went through the carwash a few minutes ago and whenever I got to the air drying portion that noise started up again in the same spot even though my vehicle was just slowly rolling forward on the tracks so if this is another sign of it it's starting to say exterior wind-related ,

·
Registered
37 Posts
On another note I got the borescope out last night and found a loose Spring that I was hoping was going to be the problem but after replacing the spring the noise still continued,

After getting the spring back in position the plastic part then easily push back up against the housing of where it exchanges the air where the vents are diverted or deflected , and I just used the good old-fashioned handy dandy paper clamp to secure it in there, this is accessed from passenger side behind the glove compartment left side looking forward

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
And yes , I have the exact same noise coming from a very similar location as far as locating where we believe the sound is coming from we triangulated it with , add a passenger in here and their soul and only purpose in life was to determine exactly where the sound was coming from and taking out the glove box and by literally just moving your head at three different points in about a three and a half foot area you can start triangulating where it's coming from

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
So I went through the carwash a few minutes ago and whenever I got to the air drying portion that noise started up again in the same spot even though my vehicle was just slowly rolling forward on the tracks so if this is another sign of it it's starting to say exterior wind-related ,
Or dry.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, I got a car from repair. (there are drivers that thinks all lanes are theirs) Luckily the car was Citroen Xsara. Nitro fender, bumper and wheel alignment damaged. Xsara looked like banana. Not much yellow, but pretty curwed...

It is freezing here and I have no noise at all, I replaced all remaining bushings on front axle. Tomorrow I'll leave the car in the office garage(heated) so we'll see if it was suspension related. I doubt.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I'm confident the squeaking comes from the firewall location or nearby and I believe it is outside side facing the engine bay.

Yesterday it was about 28F and car was as usualy quiet. I was waiting for my GF at car for almost 40mins. I left the engine running, so bay was heated and there was no cold air flowing around and through as it does during drive.
Immediattely after we departed the chirping started like hell and after 8 miles on hwy speed it disappeared.
So something got cooled by airflowing.
  • Hood and hood gaskets + windshield area.
  • Firewall under hood - is the air getting through radiator and around engine cool enough to cool down firewall at the engine compartment?
  • Heatshiedls and bottom part of firewall that got cooled by air flowing under the vehicle.

While I have no garage where I can get under a car and start checking heatshields, I'll only observe till spring.

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,673 Posts
Loose body bolts?
Loose Fender bolts?
Loose or weak Body bushings?
Weak or worn suspension bushings?

Just trying to help... ;)

Reactions: Scar0
1 - 20 of 51 Posts