Dodge Nitro Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My theory is similar, but involves loosen nut or losen rivet resulting in two metal parts movement - rubbing.
I found once the noise is there nothing sets it off only cloaks it.
Also it seems there is no way I can invoke the sound when the car is not moving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ok, full disclosure before I post... The temp today was 80 degrees. I know cold weather tends to bring rattles, as wires and plastic hoses harden so it might just be a coincidence that my rattle "behind the radio" has stopped. That having been said, I did a couple things before heading out for a days driving.

1. against the firewall, at the top, on the engine side are two hoses running left to right. 1 rubber and 1 hard plastic. They are linked with clips. The hard plastic one appeared to be rubbing on the firewall so on the passenger side, I zip tied it tightly to the heater hose near it. I attached a photo, where you can see where it's been rubbing.
2. The washer fluid tube that gets fluid to the nozzles on the hood run thru the firewall then up thru the plastic cowl and into the hood, via the passenger side hood mounting bolts. That was loose and when tapped it made a noise not unlike what I was hearing inside. I simply pulled it to the back side of one of the bolts to put pressure on it. Also a photo of that.

I was rattle free ALL DAY. We'll see what comes................

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This sounds very promising, I was looking at the vacuum lines runnig over the engine, but they didn't exhibit the noise at that time. Washer fluid hose has potential too, friend of mine was insane from interior squeaking and found it was hood hinge.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Bad luck... None of these causes chirping. I even added the nut (not tightened yet on photo) onto a holder.
Wire Vehicle Auto part Car Pipe

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried the exact same thing you tried with the exact same type of nut

I do have my truck back but I haven't had time to find the problem

What I do know is that using a tone generator you can set your tone generator to 59 hurtz and then (with ear plugs in) turn the volume up to around 20 and you will replicate the noise.

The sound frequency experiment was done with a stock Infinity 9 speaker system with subwoofer

Bad luck... None of these causes chirping. I even added the nut (not tightened yet on photo) onto a holder. View attachment 23875

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Today I've driven over cobblestones. For some reason I have a feeling that the noise comes only when right wheel hits the bump. When only left goes over the bump is looks there is no noise, but it is very hard to observe

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
maybe you could fix a GoPro in several places until you find it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is interesting

Whenever I did the sound test I had the vehicle shut completely off and parked and did the sound test and it 59 megahertz I could make the sound start and as long as my sound system was on it was making that sound so whatever could vibrate was vibrating from the subwoofer.

Let me know what you can figure out on that wheel and I'll let you know what I figure out whenever I crank that subwoofer up and start tearing the dash apart.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ad GoPro - I tried similar when I was trying to realize play of the one bushing on the front axle. Reality is that you can't see movement under 1/4" (I assume the noise is caused by 1-2mm movement) + you need at least 60FPS to see something.

But I'm exploring the audio probe - I have wifi headphones, I want connect them to sensitive microphone.
Leave microphone on center cluster. Close the doors, windows, put the headphones on and start touching/moving anything under the hood. Hope I can hear the noise made inside.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hi, I'm sorry, but I need to bump it up.
Chirping is still there. During sunny days when temperature rises over 76°F I'm getting chirping noise.
In the meantime I replaced windshield window - documented as noisy when the glue loosens at some location.
Checked brake brake caliper guide pin lubrication - documented for KK causing similar noise.
Checked all bolts that hold passenger door - documented for Wrangle causing similar noise.
Checked and cleaned up/lubricated parking brake lever - the only moving part in sound direction.
Checked everything under the hood + hinges + all weatherstripes.
Checked shock fork and all bolts there.

It seems the noise comes when the right front wheel goes over specific bumps or cobblestones. Not so many symptoms for left wheel. But is might be subjective because there are more potholes on the side of the road.
I have found when I hit the steering wheel down-up direction by palm at 7PM similar noise sounds. But steering wheel, steering rod all tight. I thought it might be key in the keyhole. No luck.

If I could find and fix this noise!!! Trust me I'm about to empty all my AR15 mags at it!

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hello guys,
I'm not sure if there are many people with Nitros still around. I'm still with my Nitro and this chirping drowe me nuts for years. Thanks to my friend "The Bat" we were recently able to narrow the location to be "outside" the cabin so I got a motivation to remove front wipers cover again and I finally found it and fixed it!

The chirping part is under the hood. Please, watch the video I have recorded the identification, location and fix except wipers cover and wipers removal (straight forward - 6 plastic rivets and 2 + 3 nuts)

I believe the chirping piece was installed once the assembly line was finished, but initial sales revealed some structural issue so the installed that plate ex post... Hoever decision to glue it instead of weld it, that Dodge engineer should burn in hell!

Special thanks to my friend Jan Solar who helped me to narrow the location. And to my 7 yr old son Martin who learned how to punch the steering whell to invoke a noise so I was able to listen and pinpoint the source.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts