Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to install the Mopar Chrome air deflector for the hood? With little to no success, and a dozen holes later on the underside of my hood, I have concluded that it will not install straight on the hood. It looks good from the front of the vehicle, but when you sit in the driver's seat, it's blatantly obvious that something's not right. I'm about 2 holes away from taking it back to the dealer and telling them it's defective.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I know what your talking about...mine took some doing to get it lined up also. I finally had to ask 2 people to hold each (one on each side) while I looked at it, then marked the drill holes. It came out nice, but early on had the potential to look really bad.
Good luck, hope that helps a tiny bit!
jon

pics are posted with it on there...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took the easy way out and had the dealer install it. Took them over an hour, then besides that, they dented the hood in the process of putting it on. To their credit, they gave me a loaner and had it done outside of shop (did not want to see what they did!)...but looks good to me, and very happy that my ten thumbs were not involved in the ratcheting up of my drive!:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Perspective

Please don't take offense if you've already considered this, but..........

Are you taking into account "perspective", that is your line of sight from the drivers seat?

I installed my own shield. Standing outside looking at the Nitro, it is level. Measuring from the ground up, and/or from the edge of the hood, it is level.

However from the driver's seat, it appears to stick up about a 1/4 inch above the edge of the hood, while falling below the hood on the passengers side.
Sit in the passengers seat, and the results are reversed.

Mine went in very easily. I used double sided tape, started with a center line, and allowed the mounting tabs to sit where they fit the flattest. Once held in place with the tape, I center punched the holes, drilled (holding my breath:) and screwed her in.

Again, sorry if you've already considered the sight perspective in your installation, just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the input

Thanks to all who took the time to give me some advice. I took it all into consideration, I checked everything that everyone recommended, and I feel that the bad outweighs the good with this install; by that I mean, the changing of the aerodynamics of the front of the vehicle is not worth the added chrome look. The first thing I noticed when driving was the hood vibrating really bad. That's when I noticed that maybe the deflector wasn't lined up correctly, so I came here for help. I have packed up the part and am going to bend over and take the part back minus the 20% restocking fee from the dealer. :mad:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Oh ok , I was just thinking if one was plastic & the other metal that could make a difference in the airflow itself. It seems the only one people are having problems with are the chrome ones or might be just more folks have chrome then tinted plastic. Now I guess that idea is out, still thinking though.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I installed the plastic chrome one on my SLT within 12 hrs of buying it and it looks great and I had no problems installing or with hood vibrations.:thk:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the dealer install my plactic smoke bug guard on the truck....
If I am sitting in the drivers side I can tell you there is a sight difference in the height on each side...
and now I notice the drivers side of the hood is vibrating and making a small noise up by the windshield

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I had the bug deflector installed from new by the dealership so I don't know how hard it is, but when they fitted mine, the two outside screws they installed it with were too long and hit the hood from the inside causing the paint to spider crack on the top of the hood. I only noticed it when the sun was out one day and it had already started to rust slighty. Needless to say it went straight back for them to fix.

And yes I too notice the hood vibrating. I wasn't sure if it was the deflector causing this or not as I've always had it fitted.

It's a shame you couldn't get yours fitted as I think it looks really sharp.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
The flexing I get is in the centre up near the windshield. It must be the change in turbulence that causes it. I don't think adjusting the hood bushings will change anything but I will certainly look into it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.