Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok for those who dont know I traded in my black SLT for a Infernal Red RT. I have leather seats and need to know what are some good cleaners out there. Stuff that last long, kepts the leather looking new...

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
The best thing you can do for leather is NOTHING.

Leather contains natural oil's that protect it. If/when a spill happens, you should use a damp cloth to clean the spill.

By treating, or conditioning, you are actually removing the natural oils, and sealing the leather, which will in time cause the leather to dry out and crack, especially if you don't continue the constant application of conditioner.

This is especially bad on car's because of the sun, and heat.

That is of course assuming the leather is REAL leather, and not Synthetic leather.

-TheChad

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Sorry to leave you hanging, Chad, but I don't agree with you.

Perhaps you should read car care online about proper care of leather interiors. I think most others here at the forum would agree with this article.

http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=7

The first paragragh says basically the same thing.....

"The loss of oils within the leather is the first step to hardening, cracking and shrinkage. Leather dashes are very prone to this problem. ....

Cleaning leather may be accomplished by using a mild soap and water, or specifically designed leather cleaner."

Most leather care products off the shelf will actually dry out the natural oils, and seal the pours of the leather, which as stated above will cause the leather to dry out and crack.

There are some extremely pricy, leather care products that actually contain natural oils.

I have a $3,000 Leather couch and was told by the factory (also stated in the factory tagging), not to treat the leather, use a damp cloth to wipe up spills, and use only special High End leather care products containing natural oils 1-2 times a year to maintain the leathers natural ballance.

But It's your car's. I'm just sharing.

-TheChad

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Actually everyone on this thread is right to a certain extent.

From my experiance and from what I was told by trim shops that used to do all my custom interiors and custom motorcycle seats this is the scoop...

Armor All type products are often used on leather interiors to make them shine but these type products over time actually dry out leather and cause cracking. You'll often see this on old Cadillac interiors.

However there are car care products made especially for leather. I think some have been mentioned. They usually won't say... for rubber and plastic like Armor All type products do. These leather conditioners do two things. One they clean off sweat, dirt & grime. Second they add some moisture to the leather.

I know someone else said something different but when I bought my 100% Italian white leather sofa Ashley furniture gave me a leather care kit. There are a couple things in there to remove specific type marks but one is a conditioner that they recommend using twice a year. So in my opinion using a special leather dedicated product (for a car or for a couch) is the way to go.

Remember they've been using stuff like saddle soap forever on leather saddles and other tack so there is a case to be made for an occasional conditioning. Hope this input is helpful. :beerchug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.