Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a clunking sound, that sounds like it's mostly coming from the front/middle passenger side, when making slow tight turns in parking lots, and going up and down the driveway curb.

I just got my Nitro, and the previous owner has replaced all of the shocks, and wheel bearings. I don't remember if he said he did any ball joints or tie rod ends. I don't know a whole lot about 4 wheel drive systems, so I don't know what else would be clunking under there, but my first guess would be the sway bar end links. I did a visual inspection of them, while changing the oil, and they did look pretty decent. There was some cracking, and maybe dry rot, on the bushings, but they didn't really look that bad.

We've been off work for the last couple weeks, but am going back tomorrow. I plan on pulling the Nitro into our shop, and crawling around a bit underneath. What else should I look for under there? Are there rubber mounting brackets for the front transfer case?

If it is the end links, are the BWoody end links worth it, even if I have to pay full price ($263.99)? And if so, is it also worth it to add the grease fittings? Also, what about sway bar bushings? Are there 4 possible sizes? 33mm or 34mm for the front, and 22mm or 23mm for the rear? Rock Auto seems to have all those sizes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey I have the same thing in my bric there are a few things it could be
1. Ball joints
2.control arm bushings all of them
3. Inner + outer tie rod ends
Doing all of them should take care of your clunk but this will be pricey if you don't do it yourself

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey I have the same thing in my bric there are a few things it could be
1. Ball joints
2.control arm bushings all of them
3. Inner + outer tie rod ends
Doing all of them should take care of your clunk but this will be pricey if you don't do it yourself
I've ordered sway bar bushings,34mm front, 23mm rear, which is the "performance" suspension, and I've also ordered the BWoody end links. I'll do those first, and if I still have the noise, I'll check the other things. I already have the sway bar bushings, and the end links are on their way.

When I jack up the front, I'll try and shake the wheels, up and down, and side to side, to see if I have any play. Most of the stuff looks original under there.

I'll be doing most of the work on the car myself. There are a few things I leave to the professionals though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've ordered sway bar bushings,34mm front, 23mm rear, which is the "performance" suspension, and I've also ordered the BWoody end links. I'll do those first, and if I still have the noise, I'll check the other things. I already have the sway bar bushings, and the end links are on their way.

When I jack up the front, I'll try and shake the wheels, up and down, and side to side, to see if I have any play. Most of the stuff looks original under there.

I'll be doing most of the work on the car myself. There are a few things I leave to the professionals though.
Ok cool tell me if that fixes it cause this clunk is annoying

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ditto! I had the rear arm bushings replaced a few months ago and it seemed to take care of the clunking for a short while, but it's back again. I'll be following this thread for any updates :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts