Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone had any experience with this code? From what I have read it could be the speed / abs sensor on the left side. Is there anyway to tell which one, or do both need to be replaced?

Code U1417 - IMPLAUSIBLE LEFT WHEEL DISTANCE SIGNAL

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Hi, has anyone had any experience with this code? From what I have read it could be the speed / abs sensor on the left side. Is there anyway to tell which one, or do both need to be replaced?

Code U1417 - IMPLAUSIBLE LEFT WHEEL DISTANCE SIGNAL
There is one wheel sensor located at each hub. It reads to rotational speed in relation to the other wheels. Since you just had your power steering fixed, I would check the left front first. Make sure that the connector is fully seated on the sensor. The dealer may have bumped it, or removed it during service. Let us know how you make out.

:cool:

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Check the left sensor wires, also jack up your rig and rock the wheel to see if a bearing is shot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally got around to removing my winter tires and putting the summer tires on. As I did each wheel I checked the wire to the sensor and also sprayed with brake cleaner. So far so good, the ABS and traction control lights are off. I did not check the wheel bearing but I will double check that as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke too soon, the lights are back on again with the same U1417 code. I will check the wheel bering and then if that is not the issue I guess I will ry repalcing the ABS/speed sensors.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Bummer!
Start with the left front. The fronts seem to go bad more then the backs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the caplier and caliper carrier off but the front left but rotor will not budge. I have soaked it in penetrating lube and hammered on it with a rubber mallet, it will not budge. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Got the caplier and caliper carrier off but the front left but rotor will not budge. I have soaked it in penetrating lube and hammered on it with a rubber mallet, it will not budge. Any tips?
LOL! Sorry for laughing mate but I just went through this last weekend when I changed all four rotors and pads. A couple of the rotors were right beasts to get off.

First try taking a wire brush and clean around the hub the best you can. Then spray with lots of penetrating oil. Use a ball peen hammer and strike the front of the rotor between the studs.

I had to go further and use a sledge hammer to whack behind the rotor in the open area where the caliper was. It took a lot of whacks to get them off. As I was replacing the rotors I could afford to be aggressive, if you're putting them back on you just have to keep striking the face. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply. Ya that is what I thought. Unfortunatley I just replaced the rotors not too long ago so I can't beat on the rotor face. So much for a 30 minute job. I just broke the crappy hammer I was using as well. Off to the store I go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so, a couple of more minutes beating on the rotors with a bigger hammer and finally broke free. Clear sailing from here I tought.....but no. Got the screw out for the sensor no problem but the sensor would not budge. an hour later of fighting with the senor it snapped of......so another hour or two later messing around trying to get it out, I ended up drilling out the plastic sensor large enough that I could pry it away from the sides, then screwed into the plastic and finally pulled it out. Too my surprise the remainder came out in one piece and nothing fell inside. The worst part is after all this, the lights are still on with the same code. On to the back wheel, hopefully not the same problems as the front.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
I assume you replaced the front sensor.?
You may have to do a battery disconnect to clear the code and then drive a while to see if it comes back on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I assume you replaced the front sensor.?
You may have to do a battery disconnect to clear the code and then drive a while to see if it comes back on.
Yes the front sensor. The lights were off when I first started it up. A short drive later they came on again. I will clear the codes and give it a try, thanls for the suggestion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the front wheel sensor was not the issue. Finally got around to the rear one which was much easier. However the lights are still on with the same code even after clearing the codes and i tried disconnecting the battery as well. I guess its time to make an appointment at the dealership.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Well I'm afraid you need to go to the dealer. This could be caused by a shorted wire or the ABS module it's self.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided to recheck the front wheel sensor since I had trouble getting the old one out and the new one in. The sensor was not aligned exactly where it should be. I took the sensor out again, made sure it was clean, and put it back in and aligned it correctly this time. Took it out for a drive and no code and no lights :smileup:. Looks like it was the front sensor afterall.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Excellent, hopefully the codes stay off, keep us informed. It always feels good when you finally solve these irritating issues.

My wife's Honda CRV has a small oil leak that is driving me batty. I think I have it narrowed down to a crankcase seal leak but it's been challenging.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Yeah! hope that takes care of it. :smileup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excellent, hopefully the codes stay off, keep us informed. It always feels good when you finally solve these irritating issues.

My wife's Honda CRV has a small oil leak that is driving me batty. I think I have it narrowed down to a crankcase seal leak but it's been challenging.
I hear you, it was driving me nuts not being able to figure it out, hope you can figure out your oil leak, those are fun to figure out where it is coming from. Drove back and forth to work today and still no codes, so its all good.

And the other good news is if I ever have to do it again (which I hope not anytime soon) I can replace the sensor in about 15 minutes now that I have found out how to deal with some of the issues that I ran into.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I spoke way too soon. 3 days after I thought it was fixed the lights came on again. So I took it to the dealership. Turns out the wheel bearing needed to be replaced. The wheel bearing itself was fine but the sensor was not picking up a signal from the wheel when it turned so there was something wrong with the tone ring. Since the tone ring and wheel bearing are one part it needed to be replaced. All fixed now......I hope.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts