Coil Pack/misfire Question

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Electrical Problems and Questions' started by dnickerson, Nov 4, 2017.

1. dnickerson

dnickerson New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SE
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Black
    Hey guys,

My 2009 Nitro is throwing me a misfire code and I'd love some tips on if I'm heading on the right path.

Backstory - the CEL came on the other week and threw codes P0300 & P0306 saying random misfire and cylinder 6 misfire. I don't know how long ago the plugs were changed and assumed it would be needed. We replaced the plugs and cylinder 6 plug was definitely bad. Truck ran a bit smoother but than threw the CEL again the same day and only code P0306 now.

The wires all look to be in good shape, but the coil pack on cylinder 3 has a broken clip on the top where the connector plugs in to. This means it doesn't actually snap in to place like the others.

Before I go and replace the coil pack, can that cause an issue? It only throws the code once you start driving and the engine does have a bit of a shake to it compared to before the CEL.

Thanks!

2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Yep that could definitely cause the misfire. Inspect the plug holes and pins for arc damage.
    Also, only use cheap plugs in the 3.7 Nitro. The 3.7 hates platinum plugs, they will only cause you problems.
    NGK ZFR6F-11G is what I use.

3. dnickerson

dnickerson New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SE
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Black
    Thanks Scar0. I was hoping I was on the right track for diagnosing it.

I knew that about the platinums so I've got coppers in there now. When we swapped the plugs out, the one from cylinder 6 was definitely showing signs of the plug not firing at all. So it's got a new one in there with the proper gap and its certainly running better than before. But I know the coil pack that has the clip broke is on the other end of the wire. So it sounds like I'm on the right track. Phew that's good to hear lol.

4. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    If that plug was really carboned up you may need to run a cleaner thru the system because the valves++ will be just as bad.
    Pull the intake air hose and clean the throttle body(engine off first, and again with the engine running. Next (engine running) disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose from the booster side, and induce some seafoam (or similar) into the brake booster vacuum hose. (you will see whitish smoke coming out the exhaust from the above, and it may also cause a CEL.)
    Finally fill your tank with gas and add a can of seafoam (or similar) to the tank. Till the seafoam in the tank is worked thru, you may notice slightly less power.

It may also be a good idea to replace the 3 plug wires. Just to be safe.

If the compression it OK, then it could also be a failing injector causing the misfire. Which could also lead to a lot of carbon buildup.

dnickerson likes this.
  5. EG1

EG1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro R/T 4.0 (4x4)
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Stone White
    I've heard that the 3.7 uses copper plugs not platinum plugs because it will set off misfire codes

Scar0 likes this.
  6. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    You are correct. 3.7 uses the cheap NGK ZFR6F-11G plugs.

7. dnickerson

dnickerson New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SE
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Black
    Quick update.

The spark plugs I used were copper ones and they definitely are running nice. I did swap out the coil pack with a brand new piece and it instantly fixed the rough running issue, the CEL light, and cleared up all misfire codes. For those in Canada I bought the coil pack at PartSource and it was about $85 taxes in (I'm in Ontario). Took me about 15 minutes to swap the part and reattach the wires/battery terminal. Started the truck up and she was purring like a kitten :)

Thanks for all the advise guys! Hugely appreciate it!!!

Metaldog, Scar0 and EG1 like this.