Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing about the cold air intake. I'm just curious if it's actually something that you should do and get rid of the manufacturing intake or if it really doesn't play any role in anything. I have a 2008 Nitro with a 3.7

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,845 Posts
There are some folks who like and some who dislike a CAI.
Personally I love mine.
One thing to note is a CIA is only part of the solution. A freer flowing exhaust is also needed to to see the best gains.

A common mistake is to get a "CAI" that gets it's air from under the hood. IE Warm air intake (WAI) not cold. These are known as a short ram or dual split short intake.
Some CAI have a box the filter goes into, but the top of the box is open. WAI
The only true CAI (Sealed box only gets outside air) made for the Nitro was produced by Volant. But I do not believe you can still get these.
The theory of a CAI is less resistance to suck air into the engine. The "C" is cold air. Cold air is more dense, so the fuel is enriched to give more power.
But because the energy used by the engine to suck in the air is less, because of the resistance reduction of a smooth bore gradual angled intake tube, and high flow filter, you actually get better over all mileage with power gains as well.

Depending on when your particular Nitro was produced, you will either have a big square box attached to the front of the throttle body. Or you will just have a tube.
If you have just a tube, and don't want to spend big $ on a CAI, then get a free flowing filter like K&N and drop that into the stock box.
If you have a big square box that says 3.7L V6 attached to the throttle body. That is a BIG baffle box that causes all kinds of air restrictions. It really needs to go.
Get just the tube used in later years 3.7 (Nitro Or Liberty[09-11]), or in the early years Liberty 02-06 and replace that restriction BOX.
Here is a Pic of the Baffle BOX and a replacement tube installed.

With that done and a free flowing filter, the only severe restriction left is from the air filter box to the grill. That small tube has two 90° bends in it leading to the grill.
You can see how I dealt with that when I built my DIY CAI before Volant made theirs.
See the Mod links in my signature.

What I have found personally is a CAI, free flowing exhaust, and a 4.7L Throttle body installed is; increased power and the best mileage I have ever gotten! Even with over sized tires, a lift, rack, a winch, and winch plate.
Bran new, bone stock, my Nitro was a pig. That is why I did the performance Mods I did.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,845 Posts
No baffle, that's good. Drop in a free flowing air filter and you are 1/2 way there(still need muffler).
What is that funky tube going to the grill from the airbox? Looks like the stock tube (with the little handle on it) is broken.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,845 Posts
Ah, yep stock tube was broken, then it was added. Avoid deep water, it could fill up the airbox. Rain usually will drain out the little drip holes in the bottom of the airbox, if they are clear.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you said just to use a drop in filter. Is that just any kind. I was thinking of redoing that hose and putting a plastic one in

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,845 Posts
I used a K&N filter in my 3.7. It is the kind you clean, oil and reuse. Cost a bit more, but it has lasted 13 years and counting.
Most parts stores carry them, or can get them. You can also get it on-line.
Mine came as a kit with cleaner and oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts