Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Considering the Nitro - some help please!

7743 Views 27 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  tcrosses
Hi Guys,

I'm from Melbourne and currently drive a 300C with 22's, Magnaflow exhaust blah, blah, blah...........Love it.

My wife has fallen in love with the look of the Nitro and as they are so new over here, it would be great to get some feedback from Aussie owners and their experiences so far. We would be looking at the SXT with Luxury Pack and MyGig options.

My problem is convincing the better half to go with the diesel. She test drove it today and found it very noisy (the diesel clatter) and very sluggish off the line. She is convinced she only wants the petrol. However every review I have read says don't consider the petrol, the diesel is the definite better option.

I drove both the petrol and the diesel yesterday and found the diesel had heaps of grunt (although it is pretty noisy) and quite frankly I felt the petrol really struggles with the weight of the car and the 4 speed auto is just not up to the task. The 5 speed in the diesel is definitely the better gearbox (same as my 300C apparently).

I would really appreciate some honest feedback here guys, as owners are going to give an honest opinion. Don't hold back, I wanna know everything!! Convince me to buy her one of these things!:D

Thanks in anticipation and I look forward to your replies.

Cheers,

Shane
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Believe it or not, they are the real deal and will take your weight. Not only good for getting in, but also ultra handy for standing on when you wash your car.
Can I be cheeky then and ask how much you paid and did you fit them yourself? I know there are a couple of type's in the Dodge accessories booklet but neither look like yours:confused:

I will have a look around the forum, I am sure someone has posted fitting of these things.

Know what you mean about washing it, I stand on the back wheel to do the roof, either that or throw my little boy up there with a sponge :eek:.
Can I be cheeky then and ask how much you paid and did you fit them yourself? I know there are a couple of type's in the Dodge accessories booklet but neither look like yours:confused:

I will have a look around the forum, I am sure someone has posted fitting of these things.

Know what you mean about washing it, I stand on the back wheel to do the roof, either that or throw my little boy up there with a sponge :eek:.

Can't be sure exactly, because I purchased them as part of the Chrome Accent Package from the DOdge Accessories 2007 Brochure, which all up it was about $2000.00. But I then didn't want the bug deflector or the side body moldings (as I thought it would have been too much chrome). So with the fuel filler door and side steps only, the price came down to about $1400.00 AU fitted.
Hi
Interesting to read, i personally love the way diesel's turbo kicks you along.Our dealer lent us a demo cherokee overland , which had the 3.0l V6 diesel unit.Very smooth and sounds great, but from a male perspective, the 2.8 l suits the nitro's image.

Best option, 4.0l V6, fitted with a procharger, and 5 speed automatic.And a totally disable option on the traction control. Rwd,with a 8.75 suregrip.

I personally found the 4 speed auto fitted to the petrol engine, dissapointing compared to the diesels 5 speed
A welcome sight in a sea of asian based clones, I suspect that the fairer sex will prefer the quieter petrol engines.
cheers Robert.
Anybody know where to buy a dashmat for my nitro in NSW?
Don't think you can. I have only ever seen one for them and that was on a car web site (which I can't remeber the name of).

Try Pentastar Parts in Melbourne (Dodge parts distributors). I'd doubt they'd have one, but they might point you in the right direction.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.